Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FOLDER: Criticism on Musharraf becoming President

Ummm... lets try this folder thingie.

I am not sure if we want to debate here or somewhere else, but, to supplement my criticism on Musharraf assuming the Presidency in the other thread, I will like to put some articles here. I know many Gupshup members don't give a damn as to what powerful western countries think about happenings in Islamabad, but some ppl think it matters in the over all scheme of things.

I find CNN's website to be a bit crappy, bcz I read something, and two days later it is always difficult to retrieve that news item. Anyway, here is a little collage from CNN and BBC. Others are welcome to add credible news stories..

---
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/wor...00/1400383.stm

Musharraf 'forced out' president

Pakistan's ousted president, Rafiq Tarar, has indicated that he did not step down voluntarily but was dismissed by the country's military ruler, General Pervez Musharraf.

The general replaced Mr Tarar as the country's head of state on Wednesday, 20 months after he came to power in a bloodless military coup

Several Pakistani opposition parties have reacted strongly to General Musharraf's decision to make himself president, saying the move lacked constitutional, legal and moral backing.

The United States and other western countries have also denounced the move, although neighbouring India's reaction has been noticeably more circumspect.

General Musharraf took the oath of office under the provisional constitutional order introduced after he came to power in a military coup in October 1999.

Hours later, former President Rafiq Tarar gave his own version of the events, dispelling any notion of a smooth changeover.

In a statement from his home town, Lahore, Mr Tarar said he was formally informed of General Musharraf's decision a few days ago.

He was told the move was necessary to allow the general to implement his administration's agenda and to achieve "national objectives".

Observers believe that Mr Tarar's comments imply that he was forced out of office after he refused to step down voluntarily.

Sharp reaction

The BBC's Zaffar Abbas says that despite the fact that few opposition politicians in Pakistan have any sympathy for the ousted president, reaction has been strong.

Parties across the political spectrum have criticised General Musharraf's action in assuming the presidency, saying they seriously doubt that democracy would be restored in the country.

"It is a national tragedy," Nawabzada Nasrullah Khan, chief of the multi-party Alliance for Restoration of Democracy, said.

Reza Rabbani, a leader of Benazir Bhutto's Pakistan People's Party, said: "The dictator has come up with his real face. His intention is to cling to power."

US furious

The United States also added its sharp criticism to the move, which came hours after Pakistan Foreign Minister Abdul Sattar met with US Secretary of State Colin Powell.

Reports said Mr Sattar assured Mr Powell that democracy would soon be restored in Pakistan.

The Pakistani foreign minister told journalists later that he had no idea that General Musharraf was planning to take-over as president.

"I was informed last evening," he said.

Correspondents say General Musharraf's move is a step to acquire greater legitimacy and stronger negotiating power ahead of his first meeting with Indian Prime Minister Atal Behari Vajpayee in India next month.

The Indian Government has said it will treat General Musharraf as a head of state, a statement taken to mean Delhi implicitly recognises him as Pakistan president.

The army has ruled Pakistan for nearly half of its turbulent history, since it was carved out of British India in 1947.

The president enjoys mainly ceremonial powers, but it is expected that the military-led government will expand his role after General Musharraf steps into it.

Foreign governments have pressed the general for an early return to civilian rule, but his military administration has won international support for its efforts to set the nation's finances in order.

http://www.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/asiapc...eax/index.html

Criticism mounts for Musharraf

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan -- Gen. Pervez Musharraf's self-declared presidency drew criticism at home from Pakistan's opposition parties on Thursday and also from the United States.

But recognition for his power move came from an unlikely source, India, where commentators viewed it as a sign that Musharraf is serious about peace between the two nations.

The response comes after Musharraf on Wednesday dismissed former president Rafiq Tarar as the nation's ceremonial head of state and dissolved the national and provisional assemblies, paving the way for his swearing in.

On the day after the event, most Pakistani politicians were in a state of bewilderment and were said to be very bitter.

All of the major Pakistani political parties condemned the move, some calling it a mockery of democracy while others have expressed grave concerns over the future of constitutional order in the country.

Party officials said they will meet soon to discuss a strategy to counter Musharraf's declaration but admit they are relatively powerless to stop him.

Musharraf has held the position of Chief Executive since ousting Prime Minister Nawar Sharif in a bloodless military coup in October 1999.

U.S. condemnation

The United States condemned Musharraf's latest move, describing it as a turn away from democracy.

"General Musharraf's actions to dissolve the elected assemblies and to appoint himself president severely undermine Pakistan's constitutional order," Richard Boucher, U.S. State Department spokesman, said.

"They cast Pakistan as a country ruled by decree rather than by democratic process."

Washington says U.S. sanctions imposed after Musharraf took power in 1999 will remain in place until Pakistan moves toward democracy.

India signals recognition

Indians were still digesting the news Thursday, as the government signaled its recognition of the developments in Islamabad.

Stopping short of congratulating Musharraf, a spokesman for the external affairs ministry said that the Gen. Musharraf would be welcomed as the president of Pakistan when he arrives in India on July 14.

Indian commentators said that the move could be interpreted as a serious signal that Musharraf is committed to working towards peace between the two nations.

They say that Musharraf is under intense pressure to ease tensions with New Dehli and regain approval from the U.S.

"He might want to ease the situation by doing something with India. That hope stems from the untenability of the current direction in which Pakistan is heading," C. Rajamohan, an Indian commentator on diplomatic affairs, told Reuters.

But analysts doubt that Musharraf's new mantle as president will have much impact on the substance of the talks with Vajpayee.

The main topic will be the disputed region of Kashmir and although Musharraf comes with his position strengthened, the question of Kashmir is expected to remain intractable.

"It would have made a difference if he had been elected president. It might have even made a difference if he had given up his title of chief of army staff," Professor Samina Ahmed, from the Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs at Harvard University, told CNN.

"Since he's done neither, it is really continuity. It doesn't change the dynamics of the relationship between the two countries or Musharraf's power base which is the Pakistani military."

Business as usual

In his new role, Musharraf went about business as usual on Thursday, implementing a anti-terrorism law designed to give the government more leeway to deal effectively with sectarianism.

Observers say the next watermark in Musharraf's game plan will be to assert authority as president, possibly increasing the power of the office of presidency -- including perhaps the ability to dismiss future governments.

Some expect Musharraf in the short term to appoint a prime minister and shuffle the cabinet, but long-term constitutional amendments remain uncertain.

"What we really have to see is between now and the timetable given by the supreme court of Pakistan for the transfer of power to elected house which is October of next year," Ahmed said.

Constitutional amendments would change the government structure in Pakistan from a federal parliamentary democracy to a presidential system.

"Then I think you would have seen a major change in the present style of governance in Pakistan," she said.

Comment

I dont understand this FOLDER thing. Are u supposed to just copy and paste as if there is no tomorrow.

Comment

To be honest, I don't understand it as much as I'd like, but apparently a FOLDER is where you place articles of interest. For more information, click here Complete Policies

And now... oops... I just realized that I forgot to put the date in the title. Ah well, now its too late!

Comment

PM,
          Don't worry about the date. World Affairs policies don't apply in Pakistan affairs so you get away with it this time.
          Chilli,
          didn't you say that you were going to leave gupshup? Why have you broken your promise?

Comment

Ahmed, When you stop chabaing the extra taiz mirchis, then lets talk as to why are you stalking me.

Last I checked I failed to detect the word 'moderator' beneath your nick and I hope it stays that way. Ask the moderator of the forum if the policies of WA are applicable in PA or not.

No need to be condescending on matters which do not concern you at all. If you have anything worthwhile to add (which I seriously doubt looking at your useless track record full of needless phaddas and nothing else) then feel free to do so. Stop bugging other members, including Indian members, just for the sake of increasing your posts.

Comment

Ahmed some day when I get some time I'm gonna steal Mursalin and Outlawa policies

PM, kya baat hai Sir ghussa ghussa kioN haiN?

Chilli, a folder is folder ahem I mean like the folder on your HD where you store useful info. In this case you store it on-line so all the others can share the info with you.

Comment

Peacemaker
                Actually what I said to you in my post above , I meant it as a joke (no mirchis). If I knew you were going to take it so seriously I would've added a smiley.
                And humour aside I only post when I have something useful to say.

P.S. I can't promise not to bug the indians.

[This message has been edited by Ahmed (edited June 22, 2001).]

Comment

Originally posted by Ahmed:
                  P.S. I can't promise not to bug the indians.
                  Ah well... whatever... I am sure chilli can take care of himself quite well.

Its only when the Indians retaliate in like manner, that sensibilities of some guppies gets offended. I hope those who 'give' have the ability to 'take' it too.

ps. Darn! This FOLDER thing ain't working. Without a pHaDdA, a thread is always so stale.

Comment

http://www.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/asiapc...sis/index.html

Carry on taking over, General
                    June 21, 2001 Posted: 7:09 AM EDT (1109 GMT)

By Talat Hussain

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan -- Pakistan’s military ruler General Pervez Musharraf, who elevated himself to the position of the country’s president on Wednesday, is going about his work as usual.

After assuming his new office, he chaired a cabinet meeting and passed a law that allows his administration to deal more severely with sectarian organizations.

Pakistan’s politics, however, are not calm anymore.

The country’s politicians have roundly condemned General Musharraf’s move to become president.

The Pakistan People Party of Benazir Bhutto, former prime minister residing in London, has called Musharraf just another military dictator.

The party of Nawaz Sharif, another former prime minister General Musharraf deposed in 1999 and then exiled to Saudi Arabia, is just as bitter and sarcastic: its spokesman has recommended to General Musharraf to appoint military officers as heads of the country’s courts to complete his take over of all the state institutions.

Human rights activists and lawyers too have voiced grave concerns over the future of constitutional rule in the country.

General Musharraf did not take oath as president of Pakistan under the country’s constitution, but under another law which he announced immediately after taking over power in 1999.

There are those who are less negative about General Musharraf taking charge as president.

Business circles of the country think that General Musharraf can now focus undivided attention on mending Pakistan’s broken economy, and enforce his reform process with full authority.

Such voices of support, however, are few and far between.

Political observers believe that General Musharraf can silence his critics by using his new position to crack Pakistan’s chronic problems of governance and lawlessness which all of the country’s previous rulers failed to address.

The international community too seems to have agreed to give General Musharraf more time to prove himself as an effective ruler.

The US, the European Union and the Commonwealth, have expressed their deep dismay at General Musharraf’s move, but no diplomatic penalties have been announced for his actions.

If General Musharraf is able to rebuild Pakistan along liberal and modern lines, combat terrorism and sectarianism effectively and stabilise his country’s ties with India, many questions hanging over the legitimacy of his position as president will disappear.

Otherwise he runs the risk of going doing in Pakistan’s political history as another military ruler who amassed power not for collective good of the people but for personal gain.

Comment

http://www.dawn.com/2001/06/22/top2.htm

Lifting of curbs may be delayed

Monitoring desk

WASHINGTON, June 21: The US does not endorse Gen Pervez Musharraf's takeover as president and called upon Islamabad to immediately restore democracy, sources in administration said here on Thursday.

The US officials have also expressed apprehension that the development might delay moves to lift sanctions against Islamabad which were imposed after Gen Pervez took over in October 1999. Administration sources said Secretary of State Colin Powell felt "blindsided" and "angry" on Wednesday because Pakistan Foreign Minister Abdul Sattar had one day earlier outlined Islamabad's plans to return to civilian rule.

"It made him (Powell) look foolish because only yesterday he was saying how happy he was by Sattar's report talking about a return to democracy," the source said on late Wednesday. According to these sources, Powell and top US officials felt "so betrayed" because Sattar had kicked off his 90-minute meeting and luncheon by declaring that Pakistan would hold elections next year.

They said Musharraf's Wednesday decision would "certainly complicate" Washington's consideration in lifting any of the multiple layers of sanctions imposed on Islamabad by the US. State Department spokesman Richard Boucher said Musharraf's move to dissolve "the elected assembles and to appoint himself president severely undermines Pakistan's constitutional order.

Comment

http://www.dawn.com/2001/06/22/top4.htm

Strange situation has been created: former CJ

Monitoring Desk

LAHORE, June 21: Former Chief Justice of Pakistan Justice Saeeduzzaman Siddiqui and Federal Law Minister Barrister Shahida Jameel have expressed conflicting views about the constitutionality of the dissolution of Senate.

In interviews with the BBC monitored here on Thursday, Justice Siddiqui said under the constitution the Senate was a permanent body and could not be dissolved in any case. Similarly, he said, the president could not be removed the way he had been by the Chief Executive.

Justice Siddiqui said the courts working at present had also not been set up under the constitution. As a matter of fact, he said, the whole setup was working under the Provisional Constitutional Order (PCO).

In his opinion, the president was removed to regularize the entire system under the PCO. Everything, he said, was extra- constitutional. When it was pointed out that the government had violated the Supreme Court verdict by dissolving the Senate, the former chief justice said that the court had held that the constitution continued to be the supreme law despite the fact that it had been held in abeyance.

He said a strange situation had cropped up with the Chief Justice of Pakistan himself administering the oath of office to Gen Pervez Musharraf as president. He said where would one challenge the legality of the step when the chief justice himself had taken the step.

Replying to a question, Justice Siddiqui said in the past the assemblies elected after the military rules were required to validate the steps taken by the martial law authorities. This time also, he said, the same thing would have to be done after the revival of the democratic process. Federal Law Minister Barrister Shahida Jameel disagreed with the opinion expressed by Justice Siddiqui, and held that the dissolution of the Senate did not amount to violation of the Supreme Court verdict. She said the Supreme Court had disallowed the government to change the federal structure of the system and the action taken by the government did not contravene the verdict.

The Senate, she said, had been dissolved under the PCO but the government had not brought in a new system. Thus, it would be wrong to assume that the federal structure of the system had been changed.

The law minister said now that Gen Musharraf had assumed the presidency, the situation would take a turn for the better and an improvement would be visible during the next few months. She regretted that various countries were very quick to impose sanctions on Pakistan but none of them was concerned about the problems facing it. She said the present government was determined to improve the economy and the law and order situation.

Comment

http://jang-group.com/thenews/jun200...ain/main10.htm

I am just going to post some parts which interest me. You can read the whole thing by clicking on the link above (hopefully it works)

From the reluctant coup-maker to a strong-arm president

News Analysis

By Nasim Zehra

... It is a move that the public will receive with little joy and more scepticism. It knows its history too well. His personal traits of sincerity and general honesty notwithstanding, many must wonder whether the man can prove "bigger" than the circumstances. Will more power see him become more of a self-serving dictator or a genuine reform-oriented uniformed democrat.

As Musharraf dons this new robe, one in which his military power will invest authority, there is no groundswell of peoples' opposition to Musharraf's move. Only his donning of the many robes of the COAS, the CJCSC and now president brings back dark memories of men who went before him talking the same language, making the same promises and identifying the same challenges. Wielding the same unquestioned authority theirs was a bitter end. For Pakistan it was even worse: between dismemberment, discontent, extremism, politics of hate and of insecurity etc.

History is a hard task master for those willing to be tutored by it. Its lessons are indispensable for men and women engaged in intoxicating game of power. For Musharraf the million-dollar question will be: Can he learn enough to be different from his predecessors Field Marshall Ayub Khan and General Mohammad Ziaul Haq? That Musharraf alone will determine. He will decide whether Pakistan will cover the political journey, nations are obliged to undertake when they set out to achieve the much-needed goals of reform and reconstruction, through clumsily-engineered modes or through an open, transparent and credible democratic system. If history is any guide the twin requirement for a politically, sociologically and economically tough reform and reconstruction process is a credible statesman and a popular political team which through its "political rapport" with the public mobilises it to bear the hardships of reform and reconstruction.

The task of reform reconstruction is no less simple. It takes much more than determination, sincerity and technocrats. It takes keeping the army in the barracks, politicians in the public fray and peoples' partnership in the reform process. Any other route which seeks to eject politicians and inject uniformed men will guarantee failure. Musharraf who has delved deep into Pakistan's mutli-faceted problems must know that this "ejection-injection" formula has brought only disaster to Pakistan. He must seek therefore genuine power yielding partnership with the politicians of Pakistan. Already key politicians of PPP and PML(N) have been repeated advocated for a partnership effort between the army and the civilians for the reconstruction plans that Musharraf talks about. Going it alone while offering "symbolic partnership" to the civilian politicians will be a non-starter formula.

Against this backdrop of growing inflation and growing unemployment there are serious political implications for Musharraf, the all-powerful. Juxtapose the concentration of power in one individual with the growing outrage against killer inflation and increasing unemployment and who becomes the easily identified target of discontent?

Only on tactics he has remained flexible; on how to actually get himself elevated, at what point, whether after constitutionally strengthening the position or before, linking it to what event etc. All this thinking he has done with his comrades-in-uniform. True to his professional character he has deployed surprise, deception and confusion to keep his small battery of adversaries guessing and others like the anti-Nawaz group hopeful of "reward". While on basics like holding of the provincial and national elections there will be no delay, how he would eventually empower himself as the President is still being worked out. Constitutional amendments will be made to strengthen the authority of the president. A consensus approach to such a move will be the only sustainable method to enhancing the powers of the President. Or else the next set of empowered politicians will again reduce the president to a mere figurehead.

For his reform and reconstruction agenda Musharraf appears to have deployed no old Ziaist script in running the country . In accumulating power however and aided by Zia's "crooked man" of law, Musharraf has certainly used the Zia script. He has for now, not sought "real" partnership with any political group on their terms. The anti-Nawaz PML group may have been enticed away from Nawaz Sharif on false promises. The like-minded may be feeling more like an empty-minded PML at this juncture!

The press is dutifully alerting its readers, from Pakistan's own history, to the pitfalls of such power accumulation. Ordinarily people are indifferent to the move. And rightly so. For them his 18-month-old entry into Pakistani establishment politics has brought them no relief at all. Prices continue to soar, small business remains on a downhill spiral and unemployment is on the rise. All this additional power must weigh heavy on Musharraf's mind. There is little for him to rejoice. His stakes are high, the risks even higher.

Comment

Jis ki lathi us ki presidency

Musharaf should consider taking over as Chief Justice as well ---- Maulana Fazl-Ur-Rehman

Comment

Working...
                            X