Army of sycophancy and patronage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Army of sycophancy and patronage

A retired Army Officer gives an insiderís perception of the problems facing the Pakistan Army specially the officer Cadre. The officer cadre is divided into three distinct categories. One consists of the officers who are ambitious, have right attitudes and can manage to have their careers monitored. They are adequately professional, manage to do the right courses and get upwardly mobile appointments. They are the ones who usually have godfathers. A large percentage of this group attains higher ranks as majority of them; by design or by default manage to choose their bosses.
    The second category has fairly competent, dedicated and hard working officers who produce good results in the field but some how fail to make the mark. This group rises only by sheer merit. The percentage of officers in this category making it to higher ranks is abysmally low.
    The third category that has the largest population misses out early in the career and generally gives up. They are seen as drag or burden on the organization.
    Of the many problems bedeviling the army, two are serious and of gigantic proportions. One is the patronage syndrome whereby mediocrity leap frogs meritocracy. Patronage syndrome stems from political, bureaucratic and parochial benevolence Ė some of genuine causes but mostly for wrong. This is particularly true for higher ranks for posting, promotion, releases and even for prestigious merit based professional courses. Irony is that nominations and recommendations for gallantry awards are equally and regrettably conditioned by personal equations rather than professional performance. Considerations of regimental affiliations, personal and social rapports and old boys network mean more than any other consideration. This pattern, unless checked, will result in creating distinct classes in the army, an utterly dangerous trend.
    The second and equally repugnant is the sycophancy gaining ground for an assured vertical climb. Loyalty as an attribute of leadership has been personalized to an unhealthy extent. In professional matters dissent is taken either as unwillingness or an act of defiance, both of which invite punitive course. Dissent is a sign of progress, within the confines of desired regimentation, it should be encouraged.

now could u site its source? and perhaps let us in on the name of the "retired Army Officer" who gave "an insiderís perception", and that too so eloquently?

Im not going to claim that the Pak army is littered with angels. Every department has its black sheep. But such generalization...comon. Be realistic.

Comment

This is true in everything (Not just Paki Army) - Simple ABC analysis! This man is talking as if he is revealing the "T"ruth!

BTW, recently I came to know that there are quota restrictions for the bravery medals awarded to soldiers based on which part of Pakistan they come from.

My Gosh! Is this to make a mockery of Pakistani bravery? Or is it a neccessity under the circumstances where people don't even receive the recognition that they died while fighting for Pakistan in Kargil?

Comment

Kumar....we already have one anonymous source to deal with...and here you come...the pakistan almanac, pretending to have even more insider information. Serves u well to be so obsessed with Pak armed forces.

There is no quota for nothing in the Pak army. The induction is on merit....except for 3% seats of sons of veterans, disabled soldiers and shaheeds. And there is no quota whatsoever in medals and awards. Come back with a source (authentic or bogus), and then we will talk.

Comment

Source?
          Its weird the way people just post BS and then disappear.

------------------
          Our's not to reason why,
          Our's but to do and die:
          You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Comment

One man's bull**** is another persons Halwaa!!!

Comment

So you eat **** as halwaa???

------------------
              Our's not to reason why,
              Our's but to do and die:

Comment

Akif and CM, I am very sorry that I am able to provide a link. Have you ever seen me post any such anonymous quote. I am kinda religious about bibliography and references.
                (you should know, particularly after our discussion about Badr-B -which was about to be launched into space in May)

I don't have the link, but am sure I read it in one letter to the editor in dawn or jang. The writer could have been wrong and I am ready to accept that. But I did see this stuff in one of your own newspapers.

You may wish to deny it. May be the writer was some sore loser. Also, I wasn't talking about induction into army. The writer was talking about bravery medals in Army. He was talking how there are quotas on the medals issued.

Weel, if you think I am hallucinating, just ignore me!

Comment

Well this is not a mere generalization and the ' eloquence' is not baseless. Scores of incidents and facts can be quoted in this context. The 'Pothohar' (Areas comprising Chakwal and Gujar Khan etc) and certain other groups based either on Area or Sect do exist and exist with quite strength. The personal likings and dislikings do affect the careers of officers at all the tiers of commands. The appointment of Mushaf Ali as ACM of PAF needs no highlighting. He was supposed to be one of the last in the queue for the prized appointment being junior but he was promoted superseding a number of competetive and professional officers ( reasons are well known to the concerned circles).
                  My dear Akif , yes there exists no quota in the Armed forces except the one that u mentioned , but what about the ground realities. The scam in the Military Secretary's branch(the branch that deals with the postings , promotions etc of the officers)in year 2000 substantiates the point made. Ask any Army officer or listen to them in their confined conversations -- perhaps u will still ask for SOURCES -- Akif

Comment

Originally posted by Neknam:
                    Ask any Army officer or listen to them in their confined conversations -- perhaps u will still ask for SOURCES -- Akif
                    I belong to a military family, and have access to more sources than you could count.

The thing is, its very easy for us to sit on the outside and generalize, based on one or two flimsy sources or arguments. This behavior suits politicians...we should be careful in our judgements. We get one example, and all of a sudden we become the encyclopaedia of Pak army.

Did u ever sit to think that the sources that u are talking about, who were obviously passed over for promotion or awards, were perhaps not worthy of those awards....and it is their sore loser mentality that prompts them to speak out way after the tide has settled? How different are they from politicians like Bhutto and sharif, who once ousted from power, make statements of how they were just 2 days away from making Pakistan debt free...yet they were ousted by the evil designs of the military.

And once again, come back with the source, so we can question the source, and not you. A source is always imperative, since it decides on the credibility of the person who said it, as well as the messenger.

[This message has been edited by Akif (edited June 20, 2001).]

Comment

No link no story.
                      It is that simple.
                      Heck with that i can say i talked to Khatami to learn he really wants to nuke india.
                      Does that mean its true?

------------------
                      Our's not to reason why,
                      Our's but to do and die:

Comment

Working...
                      X