Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SUGGESTION: What Gupshup members can do to influence Pakistani policy

Dear Members of Gupshup,

We, as Gupshup members, should do something constructive for a change.

I hope you do realize that the confluence of minds on this forum "Pakistan Affairs" has led to the development of new ideas and perceptions, has influenced change in opinion for a good many people, and has generally contributed to the enlightenment of our members about Pakistan Affairs and the problems our nation faces today.

The people who log on here represent a fairly progressive and enlightened section of society.

It is my desire that we make something constructive out of this forum.

Therefore, I want to take this forum one step further.

Admins please do read my proposal carefully.

I propose that we complile monthly reports on Pakistan Affairs and then subsequently create a letter of suggestions for the CE Gen. Musharraf, that is signed by as many members of Gupshup as possible.

We need a thread Folder on the Monthly Report, and people can paste to it, while one person has the responsibility of writing the final draft after the discussion has concluded.

Every month will have a Monthly Report on a different matter, for example, we could publish a Monthly Report on Foreign Policy in July, then publish a Monthly Report on Defense in August, and so on.

The Monthly Report with the monthly Letter of Suggestions should be sent to the CE at the end of every month.

The Monthly Report doensn't have to be a thick "book", it can be two or three pages long, and the most important part is the Letter of Suggestions to the CE.

Please note that we don't have to do this anytime soon, and also that only volunteers will choose the above mentioned duty for themselves.

This is just a suggestion which has lots of room for improvement before it is finally implemented.

[This message has been edited by alizadeh2000 (edited June 18, 2001).]

We can do something.
    But i doubt they will take it as constructive way to better the nation.
    Plus who will do the thinking?

------------------
    Our's not to reason why,
    Our's but to do and die:
    You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Comment

CM,

I believe it would be very well worth it. I've met Gen. Musharraf and he's a really open guy, he's open to new ideas and quite broad-minded.

We'll all do the thinking together, and aren't we doing that already? We just have to organize it better.

Originally posted by CM:
      We can do something.
      But i doubt they will take it as constructive way to better the nation.
      Plus who will do the thinking?

Comment

I am game, but i doubt it will work.
        If you need any help just ask.

------------------
        Our's not to reason why,
        Our's but to do and die:
        You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Comment

Alizadeh - Sounds like an excellent idea. There is only one manner in which to discover if your strategy will genuinely work - i.e., attempt it. And yes organization will have to be vital.

Comment

When u say "send to CE", do u mean email or do you plan to use the daak babu?

When you say "as many members should sign" - what do you mean? Digital signatures?

I think the best part is that every month, one genuinely interesting topic should be selected, where members can provide their input and suggestions in the context of Pakistan. Depending upon the quality of debate, it should be decided how it should be further disseminated.

Comment

I sounds good idea but do you think will it really work??.......I mean if you pick up pakistani newspaper......it is full of statements from every harry dick and jones that what should CE do etc, so what will be our suggestions do?

I am not against the suggestion but how we will complie the list of ideas bearing in mind that ppl in Gupshup may have different ideas about things??

------------------
              "Away from Eyes......Close to Heart"

Comment

I meant postal snail mail, not e-mail.

about signatures, well i didn't have digital signatures in mind, though i'm sure we could work out some sort of solution to that.

keep the ideas coming

Originally posted by Peacemaker:
                When u say "send to CE", do u mean email or do you plan to use the daak babu?

When you say "as many members should sign" - what do you mean? Digital signatures?

I think the best part is that every month, one genuinely interesting topic should be selected, where members can provide their input and suggestions in the context of Pakistan. Depending upon the quality of debate, it should be decided how it should be further disseminated.

[This message has been edited by alizadeh2000 (edited June 19, 2001).]

Comment

Well its too early to say whether "it will really work", but I know for a fact that the CE values intelligent input on national matters, more so if its coming from overseas Pakistanis.

Also, this isn't a newspaper, this is a monthly communication medium in the form of a report + letter that only the CE will receive.

About differring ideas of Gupshup members: well we will have to learn to debate in a civilized manner and to agree on a final conclusive draft that is acceptable to all after enough advocacy and debate. i.e., democracy wins, and so does intellect.

Originally posted by Insaaniat:
                  I sounds good idea but do you think will it really work??.......I mean if you pick up pakistani newspaper......it is full of statements from every harry dick and jones that what should CE do etc, so what will be our suggestions do?

I am not against the suggestion but how we will complie the list of ideas bearing in mind that ppl in Gupshup may have different ideas about things??

[This message has been edited by alizadeh2000 (edited June 19, 2001).]

Comment

Working...
                  X