Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Benazir Bhutto's interview on Rediff

http://www.rediff.com/news/2001/jun/14inter.htm

How would you have approached the Kashmir issue?

The PPP has proposed the path of conflict management where we work together for safe and open borders without prejudice [according] to the United Nations Security Council Resolutions.

'Pakistan is in turmoil and its economy is teetering. Pakistan, and South Asia, can benefit when the military returns to the barracks'

As far as my sources inform me, Musharraf is going to suggest that India keep Jammu, Pakistan keep Azad Kashmir and the Indians give autonomy to the valley. But the Indians are going to propose that the Line of Control be turned into an international border

Originally posted by durango:
    As far as my sources inform me, Musharraf is going to suggest that India keep Jammu, Pakistan keep Azad Kashmir and the Indians give autonomy to the valley. But the Indians are going to propose that the Line of Control be turned into an international border
    i doubt such a solution in which pak does not get any teritory will be acceptable to pak. people will ask, if this was the deal, why did u fight some 50 yrs.

Comment

In 1947, when Punjab and Bengal were divided amongst Pakistan and India, there were complaints for minor transgressions here and there (Radcliff Award), but, in general, people of both these provinces knew why their land is being divided in two countries. The hindu/sikh majority areas went with India and muslim majority parts were given to Pakistan.

With Kashmir, how can you make an international boundry out of a line which is not accepted by the people of the area? The Kashmiris do not consider LoC as border, because people on both sides are the same. They are majority muslims, have the same language, same culture, same landscape, even the same families. There is no ideological difference between them (like Korea). When I say Kashmir, I mean the whole of it, Pakistani Kashmir and Indian Kashmir.

Don't you think the will of the people of the area counts a lot before deciding something in New Dehli, Islamabad or Washington?

Agreeing to LoC as the border is neither here nor there. Its a non-solution, and it will just prolong the problem. With the legitimacy of his government already severly questions internally, Musharraf can hardly accept any such deal. Even if he does, the future government may decide to scrap this agreement. Then whats the point?

Comment

Just because religion was used to break a nation into two parts a few decades ago doesn't mean we have to do the same mistake.

Pakistan is so blind to democracy and secular values, that pakistanis are handicapped from being able to perceive a multi-religious nation!

Comment

In 1947, only muslims got to vote, rest had no say. Non-muslims were assured by muslim league that their life and property will be protected, they will be able to live in the country they have been living for generations and practice their religion freely...we know that didn't happened, that is why people were so ill prepared and disorganized. One million non-muslims Punjabis were killed during 1947.

In muslim eyes non-muslim don't count, the world revolves aroung their religion and their needs.

Comment

Hahaha... you guys are unreal.

While Pakistan is all along saying to unite the two Kashmirs (PK and IK) and ask the people of Kashmir for their will... you guys are arguing, no, divide the Kashmir by recognizing the ceasefire line (LoC) as international border. And no, we won't have a referendum there, bcz we know what they want.

And then u call yourselves, democracy-lovers! The biggest democracy in the world. Some democracy...! Hoonh!

[This message has been edited by Peacemaker (edited June 15, 2001).]

Comment

Originally posted by Peacemaker:
              Hahaha... you guys are unreal.

While Pakistan is all along saying to unite the two Kashmirs (PK and IK) and ask the people of Kashmir for their will... you guys are arguing, no, divide the Kashmir by recognizing the ceasefire line (LoC) as international border. And no, we won't have a referendum there, bcz we know what they want.

And then u call yourselves, democracy-lovers! The biggest democracy in the world. Some democracy...! Hoonh!

[This message has been edited by Peacemaker (edited June 15, 2001).]

------------------
              Our's not to reason why,
              Our's but to do and die:
              You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Comment

Working...
              X