Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is how much the Americans Know about PAKISTAN ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is how much the Americans Know about PAKISTAN ?

A $32,000 question on a recent episode of "Who wants to be a millionaire" ?

The ruling body of which country ordered the demolition of more than 1000 yrs. old Buddha statues ?

a)Iran b)Iraq
    c)Afghanishtan d)Pakistan

This is how the American contestant goes :

Hmm...let me see...I remember reading about it somewhere...I don't think it is Iran because its not been in news recently, IRAQ..I don't think so....so that leaves me with Afghanishtan and Pakistan. It can really be either of the two...I know I can take a 50-50 but I suspect Afghanistan and Pakistan will remain there so that will not help me.
    I think I will poll the audience as it is very important that I get to $32,000...

Regis : Ok, audience with your fingers on the keyboard press a) b) c) or d)
    And the result is :
    a)2% b)5% c)48% d)45%

The contestant : Looks like there is no clear majority and I don't think anyone in my phone list will know the answer to this question...so I guess I will go with the audience and make c) my final answer.

Regis: And you win 32,000 dollars.

Contestant: Oh man.....What a relief..that was a toughie !!

[This message has been edited by chilli (edited May 08, 2001).]

And the Answer was???
    Got it..
    (Why don't you become a story writer for kids)

Don't feel so good, they don't know much about india either.. other then it's an hugely populated poor country
    There are only two forces in the world, the sword and the spirit. In the end the sword will always be conquered by the spirit. --Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

Good point..Pureland...
      That reminds me of another question on "Who wants to be a millionaire ? "

The question was :

Buddhism was born in which country ?

a) India b) Nepal
      c) Sri Lanka d) China

The contestant :
      That's easy !! Buddhism started from the banks of the river Ganges in India..The Ganges is considered to be a holy river in India. And infact Buddha attained enlightment at Bodhgaya which I am positive is in India.
      So I will say a)India , final answer.

REGIS : And, you are right !!!

Comment

I never had doubts about the intelligence of Americans (a total buffoon being the Prez is just icing on an otherwise perfect cake), so I am impressed the audience actually gave more votes to Afghanistan.

Shouldn't this be in World Affairs, so we can all applaud the remarkable knowledge base of the inhabitants of the only super power, or do u have some other deeper meaning of placing this thread here?

Comment

Originally posted by Peacemaker:
          Shouldn't this be in World Affairs, so we can all applaud the remarkable knowledge base of the inhabitants of the only super power, or do u have some other deeper meaning of placing this thread here?
          I take it back. This is not your doing.

Comment

Chillu, What if the Question was "In What city did fanatics destroyed a holy muslim mosque?"
            The fact remains, minorities have more freedom and security in Pakistan then India. Give me just one solid proof that a Hindu temple or a church was destroyed in Pakistan.
            (no indian / British sources. period.)
            Since I live in the U.S, and I have oppurtunity to talk to many americans everyday, to be honest none of them have even a basic knowledge about your india. if you wanna live with this desception that India is an important country for the U.S, then you're wrong. America needs China to do business, needs Japan to research the advanced technology, needs Europe for defence.. But india.. duh duh who cares !!! just another country out of 175+..
            There are only two forces in the world, the sword and the spirit. In the end the sword will always be conquered by the spirit. --Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

Originally posted by chilli:
              That's easy !! Buddhism started from the banks of the river Ganges in India..The Ganges is considered to be a holy river in India. And infact Buddha attained enlightment at Bodhgaya which I am positive is in India.
              So I will say a)India , final answer.

REGIS : And, you are right !!!
              Since this guy knew so much about India and average Americans don't even know if Atlantic occean is on the east coast or west, it is safe to assume that the contestent was an ISI agent.

Comment

Originally posted by PureLand:

Since I live in the U.S, and I have oppurtunity to talk to many americans everyday, to be honest none of them have even a basic knowledge about your india. if you wanna live with this desception that India is an important country for the U.S, then you're wrong. America needs China to do business, needs Japan to research the advanced technology, needs Europe for defence.. But india.. duh duh who cares !!! just another country out of 175+..
                Hey Mr. PureLand, I live in the US too if it makes any difference to you.
                Did I ever mention that India was an important country for the Americans - don't put words into my mouth.
                And secondly ,people who participate in a trivia show like "Who wants to be a millionaire" are not your average americans -they are generally very aware and well-read people. If one of these guys can equate Pakistan with Afghanishtan, you can very well imazine the perception of Pakistan in the minds of the average American people who have atleast heard about it - They think its one of those Islamic countries that harbors terrorists like "Bin Laden".
                I was only trying to imply this from my above post.

Comment

Originally posted by chilli:
                  [B...they are generally very aware and well-read people[/B]
                  Creme a la creme!

Chilli, you are needlessly suffering from acute inferiority complex. Rest assured, compared to you, these Americans don't stand a chance. If the above participant is your prime example of "very aware and well-read" then you will do well to find another champion to further your twisted agenda on this forum.

Comment

arey bhai Peacemaker saab...u are anything but a peace-maker...
                    Is your brain made of cement or what...

What I meant was that if any set of people in America can be expected to be aware about the outside world(including Pakistan) it has to be these guys who qualify for the above trivia show. And if someone in this show gets a particularly easy question regarding Pakistan totally wrong it indicates, most often then not, that the average American will have far less knowledge about it !!
                    Got it !!

[This message has been edited by chilli (edited May 09, 2001).]

Comment

What?

Comment

Question to chilli in particular.

Which one of the following territories is recognised by international law (i.e. UN Security Council Resolutions) as a DISPUTED TERRITORY?

1)Tibet.
                        2)Jammu and Kashmir.
                        3)Taiwan.

Come on chill show your 'intelligence'?

Comment

I think you all are being very unfair to chilli. Being patriotic is one thing but you dont have to jump at every oportunity to bash an Indian. He was simply referring to the American lack of knowledge in international affairs!

------------------
                          May we all be forgiven for our sins, intentional or otherwise. Ameen

Comment

It is very unfair on part of Chilli to degrade Pakistan as per intelligence of a generation of a developed country like USA.
                            There are many in USA who thinks that Russians performed atomic attack on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Citizens of such countries have not much interest in update knowledge.

This Malik is rather very disturbed person over Kashmir’ dispute.
                            Does his intellect know that Pakistan should have vacated occupied Kashmir territory as a prior condition to plebiscite as per the UN resolution?

Comment

What's wrong skiv disturbed your normal routine have I? Maybe not? So maybe you can answer on behalf of chilli to save him the embarrasment:-

Which one of the following territories is recognised by international law (i.e. UN Security Council Resolutions) as a DISPUTED TERRITORY?

1)Tibet.
                              2)Jammu and Kashmir.
                              3)Taiwan.

It's just a simple question - just pick one of the above. Hope that's not to much for you to handle

Comment

Working...
                              X