Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

did indian muslims played more active role in creation of pakistan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

did indian muslims played more active role in creation of pakistan?

indian muslims (muhajirs) rather than punjabis are more enthusiasitic about the creation of pakistan?

-------------------------------------------

The Pakistan Movement did not receive uniform support from the regions of India that became Pakistan. Its staunchest supporters were the Muslims of central India who had moved to Pakistan as muhajirs (refugees). The Muslims of East Bengal and their leaders were strong supporters, but support in Punjab came late, and in the NWFP the Pathan leader Khan Abdul Ghaffar Khan was opposed to Jinnah and a close ally of Mahatma Gandhi and the nationalist Congress. In independent Pakistan, as Alavi notes, there was "no automatic and universal translation of the attribute of Muslim faith or Muslim by descent to an automatic assertion of Muslim ethnic identity.39 Once the issue of faith was set aside, national politics invariably came to reflect the ethnic cleavages within the country.
    National integration was made difficult by the country's physical division and the absence of a common language. Urdu was the language of Muslims of central India, and Jinnah's declaration making it Pakistan's national language sparked a vernacular movement in East Bengal. It sowed the seeds of ethnic Bengali nationalism that would eventually, when added to other grievances, lead to the separatist movement among the Bengalis and the making of Bangladesh. But most importantly, the growth and persistence of ethnic nationalism in Pakistan reflected the weakness of representation at the center in a federal system.
    The long hiatus between independence and the enactment of the first constitution in 1956 entrenched the dominant role of civil-military bureaucracy in state institutions. Unrepresentative government by an oligarchy of senior civil-military administrators alienated the people from national politics. The dominant role of Punjab within this oligarchy, in association with the majority of the Urdu-speaking refugees from India who settled in West Pakistan, was resented by the rest of the country. It was in this context of maintaining or perpetuating domination by one province and ethnic group that all subsequent schemes of East-West representation prior to 1971 were proposed by the civil-military elite and its allies, and repeatedly found unacceptable by the majority. Representation according to population meant that East Bengal (formally designated East Pakistan in 1955), which contained the largest segment of the population, would have proportionally the largest representation in the federal parliament.
    Unable to deny this in principle, Punjabi politicians, with the support of civil-military oligarchs, sought to eviscerate East Bengal's parliamentary majority. The One Unit scheme of 1955, which was introduced by the governor-general to amalgamate the four western provinces into one political and administrative wing and place East and West Pakistan on an equal basis of representation, was designed to deny East Pakistan its majority population status.40 This scheme was also contrary to the spirit of Islamic brotherhood, of the claim that Muslims-by faith and not ethnicity-constituted a nation, and was the basis for the partition of India. The One Unit idea was retained in the 1962 constitution and contributed to the increasing sense of political disparity among the Bengali vernacular elite. In the 1973 constitution that followed the break-up of Pakistan, the federal system was restored by dissolving the One Unit scheme.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think Bengalis played a major role.

Comment

They all played a major role. Especially the Punjabis. Since they were under opression under a Hindu upper class. THe Punjabi Muslims Hated the Sikhs and the Hindus because the Hindus were the the land owners and charged large amounts of interest on loans and then took over teh land of the Muslim owners when they could not repay them. So we are thenkful that that the Hindus have gone.

As for the rest. Pakistan was created for the Muslims of The Sub-Continent. And it is theirs. Along the way, due to corruption and one group taking advantage of the other, the idea was skewed and hopefully it is back to what is should be with Musharaff in power (who is born in delhi).

Comment

Punjabis muslims actually voted aganist partition..it is Bengal, Bihar and UP that were all for it...

Comment

Rani, I must admit being totally in awe of your history courses. May I borrow those books just for a day? I will make photocopy and return those to you in perfect condition.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by Peacemaker:
            Rani, I must admit being totally in awe of your history courses. May I borrow those books just for a day? I will make photocopy and return those to you in perfect condition.

Thanks in advance!
            I got my history lesson from people who lived through all this and saw and experienced it first hand...

I don't have your madrassas books, those u can find from your Mullahs.

[This message has been edited by Rani (edited May 08, 2001).]

Comment

Thanks in advance!
              Please read any non pakistani author. In fact Unionists had a field day in Punjab and Muslim League was not much popular for long time. It was Bengal where Noakhali riots took place. After partition, Jinnah dismissed the provincial govt of Bacha Khan's party in NWFP saying that it is not enough pro-pakistan.

Comment

Originally posted by ZZ:
                Please read any non pakistani author. In fact Unionists had a field day in Punjab and Muslim League was not much popular for long time. It was Bengal where Noakhali riots took place. After partition, Jinnah dismissed the provincial govt of Bacha Khan's party in NWFP saying that it is not enough pro-pakistan.
                I am at a loss here, please help. Please give me a name of any non-Pakistani book that suggests Unionists/Congress/bhaipheros/etc were more popular in Punjab then Muslim League in 1947.

Comment

Rani Jee... Ask your parents about a town called Sargodah. I am from there. Infact I was born there. My whole family is from there. My viliage is near there.

So according to My first hand knowledge from my grandparents THe voted for a Pakistan and got it.

The Sikhs and the Hindus voted against it. At that time the population of Muslims was 60% and the rest were either Hindus or Sikhs. And there was violence in Sargodah. Actully one Hindu got killed when he refused to leave. Sad... But that is the history of Sargodah during partition.

The Punjabis muslims were the happiest at the time of partition. At last the tyrant ruling class at that time had left for good.

Comment

Originally posted by Sawera:
                    I am at a loss here, please help. Please give me a name of any non-Pakistani book that suggests Unionists/Congress/bhaipheros/etc were more popular in Punjab then Muslim League in 1947.

Please find urself.. u will know that in 1946 elections, coalition of unionists, congress, akalis was in power in punjab. then there were riots and all that. But Muslim league could not get majority on own.

Comment

Originally posted by Rani:
                      I got my history lesson from people who lived through all this and saw and experienced it first hand...

I don't have your madrassas books, those u can find from your Mullahs.
                      I admit my unadulated sadness that you were unable to witness such momentous occasions yourself, and instead had to rely on first hand accounts of your glorious ancestors. If these illustrious ppl had actually lived in Punjab during 1947, maybe they were also the heroes who attacked and killed scores of muslim refugees migrating to Pakistan. Since you are so fascinated by their tales of heroism, so I'll just as well salute you, for such courageous acts of bravery against coward women and children who died in those days.

The mullahs in my madrassa, were so ignorant, that they could not read beyond the 30 siparas of Quran, and therefore I have no where to look for lessons in history, but such neutral history scholars, like yourself.

That Muslim League secured 95% muslim votes in Punjab, is purely a matter of inference, which I am sure is just a figment of imagination from some biased muslim historians. Lets, instead, rely on the holy words of those with whom you have talked as they are the ones who had witnessed it all "first hand".

I continue to admire your unbiased approach and frank opinions on issues where you are obviously so well informed.

Comment

That Muslim League secured 95% muslim votes in Punjab, is purely a matter of inference, which I am sure is just a figment of imagination from some biased muslim historians. Lets, instead, rely on the holy words of those with whom you have talked as they are the ones who had witnessed it all "first hand".

Can u now provide source of your information, books from madrassas will not do....

I love your senseless verbiage, sorry to tell u that people who witness history know more about it then your arm chair bigoted hatemonger mullahs.

P.S. BTW your brothers (Bihari, Bengali, UP) are the ones who were and still are unable to live with anybody other than there own and have no toleration for non-muslims. There is killing in all muslim lands, this is nothing new.

Comment

Lets make it a truce.

You pull your head out of the cushions, and make one complete post without using the word "mullah" and I will buy your theory about muslims from Bihar, Bengal and UP and will admit that there is no killing going on in the hindu land.

Comment

Lets make it a truce.

You pull your head out of the cushions, and make one complete post without using the word "mullah" and I will buy your theory about muslims from Bihar, Bengal and UP and will admit that there is no killing going on in the hindu land.
                            I couldn't careless...we left u long time ago none of us are left in your pureland believe whatever makes u feel good

P.S. Have fun telling racist Sikh jokes and when your children ask u who these people are, do tell them the real history of the people who once inhabited your land and were driven out because they were of wrong religion.

[This message has been edited by Rani (edited May 09, 2001).]

Comment

You have won me over. A full post without the magic word "mullah".

I am in love with your ability to compare apples with oranges. Where did the sikh jokes come from? Some psycho still stalking you somewhere else?

ps. It will be a big problem for me to tell the "real history" since I am not blessed with true facts like you. Maybe you will be so kind to share the wonderful tales of history you have learned "first hand" and not from some "arm chair bigoted hatemonger".

ps2. Will I be excused if I start laughing now?

Comment

Working...
                              X