Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are PAKISTANIS not as patriotic as INDIANS ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are PAKISTANIS not as patriotic as INDIANS ?

I have talked about this elsewhere too but one thing that still bugs me is that the Pakistanis I have come across appear to be very different from the general impression I carry about them from this forum.
    For example, Shor-Sharaba forum is replete with threads denouncing Indian movies and there are so many Paki members advocating total boycott of them. Here in these sections people like Malik73/CM/Xtreme seem like they were born to hate India and ofcourse anything Hindu and in case of Xtreme, anything "Brahmin".You would think that in general the Pakis residing in Pakistan and abroad are very jingoistic and have deep sense of pride for their motherland.
    To the contrary,here in the US, I have seen Pakistanis or Pakistani set-ups trying desperately to pass themselves off as Indians.For example a good number of Pakistani Restaurants/Shops in the United States(atleast in these parts) have "Indian" names or decor ostensibly to attract Indians. One restaurant in my neighborhood, owned and run by Pakistanis, has named itself "New India Mahal"...and there is a Pakistani joint close-by which has posters of Bollywood Actor/Actresses pasted all over its walls......and there is a popular multiplex theatre again owned and run by a Pakistani which shows only Hindi/Indian movies.
    OK I know that this has more to with business interests because of such a huge base of Indian populace in this region.But is that enough justification ?
    Atleast I can NEVER EVER imagine an Indian calling his place "Pakistan Restaurant", no matter how much revenues he was to rake in by doing that. Is it that Pakistanis don't feel too proud or good about being identified with their country or is it that for the Pakistanis, business comes before their country.

[This message has been edited by chilli (edited April 28, 2001).]

Chilli
    Where are you ? STate and city in USA?
    Dallas/Huston, LA? Chicago, NewYork?

Comment

That is NOT the point.

Comment

chilli pakistanis have right to use name
        india since they also contributed to india
        and once part of india. mughalai food is
        enjoyed by both pakistanis and indians.

[This message has been edited by rvikz (edited April 26, 2001).]

Comment

That is ridiculous !
          Especially if you think the Pakistanis officially oppose even "Indian Ocean" and "Indian Sub-Continent" being called so !!

And please ,Mughlai Dishes have got nothing to do with this topic. I don't think I have questioned the social/cultural similarities between the two nations.

Also, the businesses that I have mentioned are surely not more than 5-7 years old, so the question of their names being carried over from pre-partition days does not arise....

[This message has been edited by chilli (edited April 26, 2001).]

Comment

You better not say any llub tihs here. Indian all over the world have been selling foods and living on that for years and fooling the world and these are not Indian at all. Biryani, Qorma, Kabab, Aloo Sabzi, Pulow, Nan, Gulab Jaman and all that aint Indian at all. They cant even pronounce thier names correctly. These are the foods that muslim took to India when they invaded it before the Mughals. On one hand the Indians curse and hate the muslim invaders and on the other hand live off and do business selling the food these people brought to India. Now who is talkin'

[This message has been edited by reza khan (edited April 26, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by reza khan (edited April 26, 2001).]

Comment

>>Biryani, Qorma, Kabab, Aloo Sabzi, Pulow, Nan, Gulab Jaman and all that aint Indian at all. They cant even pronounce thier names correctly. These are the foods that muslim took to India when they invaded it before the Mughals. On one hand the Indians curse and hate the muslim invaders and on the other hand live off and do business selling the food these people brought to India. Now who is talkin' <<

As far as subcontintintal cuisine is concerned, it is a mix of everything. Persian influences can be clearly seen.

Speaking for myself I am proud of Indian cusisine.

I had the good fortune to live in more than one state in India and I enjoy them all!!

Comment

This is not the case with Pak citizens only. I have seen Afghanis and Shrilanka people calling themselves Indian in outer world.
                People from our sub continent are recognized better when they pose as Indians.

Patriotism for Pak participants on this board does not cross Hindutva or India. They are in a self-imposed ban against knowledge.

Rgds

Comment

Mr. Anand there is more to Pakistan than MQM.

I cannot in my wildest dreams imagine an Afghani calling himself an Indian.

Originally posted by skv anand:
                  This is not the case with Pak citizens only. I have seen Afghanis and Shrilanka people calling themselves Indian in outer world.
                  People from our sub continent are recognized better when they pose as Indians.

Patriotism for Pak participants on this board does not cross Hindutva or India. They are in a self-imposed ban against knowledge.

Rgds

Comment

Chilli,

One could also say that Pakistanis could never put their name on something that's not theirs alone, like cousin. Only Indians can do that, hmmm. Anyway, speaking of food, correct me if I'm wrong sir most Indian / Hindus are veggies right, or used to be anyways, so most of vegetarian dishes must be 'Hindu dishes', now everyone knows that we Muslims are meat eaters, so most 'non-veg Indian dishes' must be Muslim. So either you take you non-Muslim dishes and call it Indian kitchen and let us have the Muslim dishes or try to live with the fact that most of our ppl think that it's only fair to tell ppl that this or that dish originated from India, (Pak couldn't get a unique and new kitchen in just 50+ years). Actually Persians and Turk should be screaming here, we took their nan and kebabs and today we not only call it ours, we're arguing whether they belong to India or Pak, gosh.

As for the movies, chanda we watch Indian movies and Pak Dramas, therefore we put up Indian actresses poster, that's logical nahiN? Waise ahem Sony, Zee and yada yada Indian channels telecast Pak dramas, copy our songs, put their names on 'em so that makes them less Indians?

As for the pat part - there is and must be a clear difference in being patriotic and plain stupid, our ppl accept when we're wrong. If our country is in mess, we say it's in mess. Now if you think you love your country more because you refuse to see the mess it's okay, most Pakistanis won't care. Hampf I'd love to give you examples of your ignorance or patriotism whatever, lekin I seriously do not care enough.

Comment

It's all about identity.

In the UK, the english like Indian/Pakistani food, but for some reason they generalise it as Indian food. When referring to a restaurant they will often say "lets get an Indian takeaway". For some reason no one says "lets get a Pakistani takeaway".

?

Comment

same thing with food from the far east. its all chinese to me

Comment

most Indian / Hindus are veggies right, or used to be anyways,
                          Ignorance at its height!

Sabah: Most Indians are non-vegetarians. Most Indians you may have come across might have been Vegetarians. 6000 year old Vedas are replete with incidents that describe meat eating practices of Indians.

Kannappa nayanar of 1st century is supposed to have offered Lord Shiva with meat. Rama has been offered meat in Ramayana and he had gladly accepted it. Meat eating (of lamb, goat, sheep) was never considered as bad/lowly in India or Hindu culture. (Eating beef might have been).

IMHO less than 10% of Indians are vegetarians.

Comment

horse sacrifice was performed, the mahisha mated with the mahishi. And so did the other four couples of priests, representing the Four Guardians of the World (Lokapalas) and placed around the royal couple. The ritual enacted the destruction of the world (the deaths of the horse and the goat) due to the mystic union of Heaven and Earth (the union of the horse and the mahishi). But it also symbolized the rebirth of Nature, renewed by the drastic event (the union of the couples just after the sacrifice).

Interestingly enough, a similar ritual was performed in ancient Celtic Ireland. This ritual is closely related to the Vedic ashvamedha. In the occasion of his enthronement (a "renewal" of the world), the king would ritually mate with a mare, which was subsequently sacrificed. From its remains a broth was made, which was served communially to all. Clearly, the ritual is also an alias of that of Christian Mass and Communion, whose symbolism can also be traced back to the Vedic archetypes, the rituals of Soma preparation and of the ashvamedha.

Comment

Kumar,

First of all I don't really care about your cousin or eating habits, lekin one is for sure I don't qualify as an ignorant, not yet at least. I'm sure you can't read Arabic script else I'd ask you to read Channmahi's post at the Culture forum. Second, hmmm I have the info that your country men provide na, I wont go to India to check for my self, I asked and was told that many Indian's eat meat but most are veggies. You don't have to be genius to judge for your self either, you can see from the numbers of recipes also.

Now whatever lord Shiva or anyone else used to do isn't really important for me or for this discussion. I never said anything about meat eating being considered bad or good, that's your religion you decide what's good or bad for you guys. However if you want to talk about Indian or Hindu methodology, I'd love to read.

rizvk,
                              Ammm I didn't get your post

Comment

Working...
                              X