Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

President Pervez Musharraf of Pakistan? - gathering support from many quarters.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

President Pervez Musharraf of Pakistan? - gathering support from many quarters.

As an avowed Musharrafite, I would of course support the good General's elevation to the 'highest' office of state. It would mean at least 5 more years of a strong watchful eye over the distrutful politicians when they are let back into office.

But what is very interesting to note is the apparent support he is picking up from many quarters for his election as President. Benazir's PPP, the remnants of the Nawaz league, Mian Azhar's PML group and others, all coddling up to the General.

Have they accepted that the General is here to stay, and they have to deal with him?

http://www.jang.com.pk/thenews/

-------------------

PML non-committal on Musharraf as president

By Tariq Butt

The Nawaz Sharif-led Pakistan Muslim League (PML) is non-committal on accepting General Pervez Musharraf as president of Pakistan. "We will take a stand after consultation with our party colleagues if Musharraf announces that he wants to become president," PML Chairman Raja Zafarul Haq told The News.

He did not reject straightaway the idea of Musharraf being president that is being broached at different levels and places. "I don't want to talk on this issue as the military government hasn't so far completely opened its cards on this count and left the matter open," Raja Zafar said.

When he was pointed out that former prime minister Benazir Bhutto has declared that she can accept Musharraf as president, he said that she takes such decisions without consulting her party colleagues so she can make such announcements.

Raja Zafar desisted from commenting upon his PML rival Mian Azhar's remark that if General Ziaul Haq can become president why cannot Musharraf be elected to this office.

The PML leader said that political parties could work out the modus ope***** and time-frame for holding general elections under a caretaker set-up because any polls held by the military regime would be challengeable and some may dub them as engineered and having been held under pressure. He said that someone could be nominated as head of the civilian caretaker setup to hold the general elections. "By sending different (favourable) signals to the government (after the Supreme Court set aside her conviction), Ms Bhutto is saying to the government not to create more problems for her," Raja Zafar believed.

It is the considered opinion of the legal fraternity that Ms Bhutto's retrial cannot be held in absentia as the law does not provide for it. It is a different story if the National Accountability Bureau Ordinance is amended to provide for trial in absentia. For the time being, trial proceedings against the former Prime Minister have come to a halt for all practical purposes.

Mian Azhar's unequivocal support for Musharraf as President is understandable. There is no doubt anywhere how his League has been put up and how he was made its chief. But it is not precisely known whether his remark supporting Musharraf as President was off the cuff or deliberate, being part of a campaign.

All of sudden and that too after the apex court turned down her conviction Ms Bhutto has shown unprecedented softness towards General Musharraf and is ready to work with him with immense ease. She gives the impression as if she has never had any problem with him.

Ms Bhutto has taken Nawaz Sharif, her ally in the Alliance for Restoration of Democracy (ARD), on in a harsh tone and made it clear that were she to make a choice between him and Musharraf, she will prefer the general to work with in a governmental arrangement.

Discerning people point out that all what Ms Bhutto is saying after the apex court's decision may not be out of blue. But there are many who think that she is sending clear signals on her own to convey to the military regime that she is ready to accept its terms, as she did in 1988, provided the government halts campaign against her and Asif Zardari.

It will be interesting to see the reaction of her chief political ally ARD President, Nawabzada Nasrullah Khan, and other component parties of the alliance on the issue of Musharraf becoming president. Most of them are likely to oppose it and differ with Ms Bhutto on this point.

Speculation has it since long that the chief executive is all set to get himself elected as president of Pakistan. The government has been coming out with different clarifications on the issue.

However, it is no longer a speculation after General Musharraf said recently that 'nothing can be ruled out" when he was asked whether he was becoming president. But he is yet to formally announce that he has decided to be the president.

------------------

MUSHARRAF FOR PAK PREZ 2002!!!!!!!!!!
    Muslims are so good at dividing that they can divide the atom. If you see two Muslims, probably they belong to 3 parties.
    Al-Ghazali

Comment

General Pervez Musharraf,

Chief Executive, 1999 - 2002

President, 2002 - 2007

And further hopefully?

That will keep the corrupt politicians at bay for a long, long time, while allowing our nation to surge ahead with the best people at the top.

Comment

Are you guys allowed to vote?

Comment

Are you guys allowed to vote for the Indian President?

Comment

Excellent news.
            The CE for pres and maybe giving the pres more power he can call all the shots.
            But i seriously don't want sharif or bhutto in power.
            I hope he does the smart Zia thing and gets a proper man to rule the country with him.

------------------
            CROIRE A L'INCROYABLE
            You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Comment

CM,

The CE has consistently said that he will never allow NS or BB back into power. And that is part of the reason he exiled NS to Saudia and allowed his party to splinter. Even BB when told that the CE has said she had no future as PM, did not seem to mind.

I think all the main political parties and factions have finally come to the realisation that the CE is here to stay for a long, long time. They also know that their parties only have some future if they stay sweet with him. Hence, all this support for him becong the next President.

Arise President Musharraf!

[This message has been edited by Malik73 (edited April 13, 2001).]

Comment

I am in for Musharraf, and I can vote. Suffrage for Pakistan is 18 now, but I could vote anyway.

Everyone knows if they did not support Musharraf, they can't be interim PMs, which for the time being seems to be Mian Azhar because of the way ISI is supporting their breakup and everything. Musharraf's reforms are impressive, but we are in problems because of the Army invasion. Once the "democracy" is restored, I think it will be much better.

Btw, almost all countries in the past have broken under dictatorial rule !

Omer

Comment

Well Mian Azhar seems to be the man, but i don't like him much either.
                  Oh well we will have to see.
                  And yes omar the CE has done a great job.
                  Now if our economy could do better.
                  I say we should stick with whole setup till atleast 2005.
                  Give the CE time to fulfill all his promises and instill full reform.

------------------
                  CROIRE A L'INCROYABLE

Comment

oiqbal,
                    did South Korea break up under decades of military rule?
                    Muslims are so good at dividing that they can divide the atom. If you see two Muslims, probably they belong to 3 parties.
                    Al-Ghazali

Comment

Dont forget TITO,NEHRU,NASSER,they ruled all there life ,i think even De Gaulle .

Now the indians 'Apus' wil say 'Bhutt they were eelecteed" ,Yea,!with 50% voting & literacy less than 40 % then they got illiterate votes in hysteria.Is that TRUE democracy??Do each voter can read & write to discern good from Bad??????

------------------

"jo kHat main kahte they apni jaan mujhko
                      aaj kHat likhne main unki jaan jaati hai .....

Comment

Originally posted by FYI:
                        Dont forget TITO,NEHRU,NASSER,they ruled all there life ,i think even De Gaulle .

Now the indians 'Apus' wil say 'Bhutt they were eelecteed" ,Yea,!with 50% voting & literacy less than 40 % then they got illiterate votes in hysteria.Is that TRUE democracy??Do each voter can read & write to discern good from Bad??????

Hey NUDNIK:

One doesn't need to be educated to relish democracy! They have a CHOICE. That is the greatest thing about democracy. Can you dummies say the same?

Political parties of improverished countries like India with a mass of uneducated people offer that choice by different means. By assigns signs to diffentiate between parties the voter can determine his choice.

Comment

When the CE assumes the Presidency I'm sure he will have democratic and constitutional backing. This will most likely happen through the assemblies being restored and electing him President. At the same time he will get the restored assemblies to increase the powers of the Presidency, and giving constitutional cover to the National Security Council.

If the assemblies are restored then it is very likely that the PML (Azhar) group will form the next interim government. But that does not necassarily mean that Mian Azhar will become PM. It could in fact be someone from the smaller provinces i.e. NWFP or Sindh.

Whatever, this interim set-up will last only till October 2002, when new elections are due as per the Supreme Court's timetable. By that time General Musharraf will be firmly ensconed in power at the Aiwan-e-Sadr, armed with wide constitutional powers.

Comment

I can't vote in Pak so whether I support CE or not doesn't count. Still I wouldn't like to see CE as president of Pak. The only reason for having him in would be that Pak can't produce better civil leaders and I refuse to believe this. He should do what he promised, get the looted wealth back and use them efficiently, clean the system as much as possible, and make correct long term decisions for Pak at least for Pak's defence.

It's not wise to compare CE with NS and BB (even almost two years after he's take over) and okay him because he's much better the other two, Pakistanis will have to learn how to use their votes, it's our nation we need to be responsible. If CE wants the president's seat, he should go the proper way, but before that he should concentrate on meeting the targets he set for him self. We still have corruption on all levels, our ppl are still suffering and we still didn't get our money back. CTBT is still hanging on Pak, so I think he has a long list of things he should've done in the time he got.

Comment

Baji you are correct to an extent.
                              People should vote wisely.
                              But that can't be done with the whole land lord system in place.
                              This is one place i admire India, they got rid of the corrupt and unislamic system long ago.
                              Pakistan should do it now.
                              These people are the most corrupt and with the most money.
                              I say take the bloody doors down and get the loot and their lands.

And since group voting can be bought that ain't going to happen.
                              Also this point of democracy.
                              If a person is hungry tired and poor, does the guy really care what type of govt he has as long as it is giving a way to make a better life???
                              NO (my american prof didn't seem to agree when i stated tha above fact)
                              Who cares what system you have as long as you doing well??
                              Nobody cared about Indo which was a military dictatorship.
                              Nobody cares about Saudi etc.
                              As long as the govt is doing well nobody really cares.

The only reason for having him in would be that Pak can't produce better civil leaders and I refuse to believe this.

Yeah but you KNOW that i am too young to be PM!!

------------------
                              CROIRE A L'INCROYABLE

Comment

Working...
                              X