Bandwidth tarrifs reduced, again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bandwidth tarrifs reduced, again

Very impressive and positive news coming out of the Pak govt. Bandwidth rates were twice reduced last year, and that made Pakistan as one with the cheapest bandwidth in all of Asia. Now with another decrease, it makes it one of the most affordable bandwidth rate in the world.

This is great news for universities, institutes, corporations, ISPs and eventually, of course, the end user, since this makes computers and internet accessible to a wide range of the population, something that is an utter neccessity in this day and age. Good job.

From the Dawn

ISLAMABAD, April 13: PTCL management and Ministry of Science and Technology agreed on Friday to further reduce international and domestic leased line and bandwidth tariffs.

The decision was in line with the objective of the government to promote Information Technology, its education, software development, its export and IT related services. The new tariffs would be one of the lowest in South Asia and Far East.

The new reduction brings the bandwidth prices to just half of prices announced in September 2000 for Internet Service Providers (ISPs) and corporate sector and 1/5th only for software, education and specialized IT related services.

The PTCL had reduced its bandwidth tariff upto 25 per cent for 2Mbit Full Circuit via SMW-3 for ISPs upto Singapore/UK from monthly charges of US $40,000 to US $30,000. Like-wise reduction in bandwidth tariff upto 25 per cent for 2Mbit have been made. Now Full Circuit via SMW-3 for EMIX have been brought down from monthly charges of US $30,000 to US $22,500.

New rate reduction is over and above the 53 per cent and 25 per cent reductions already announced in May and September, 2000 by the government.

This new measure shall be beneficial for all Internet end-users and overall IT industry players.

PTCL hoped that the ISPs will ultimately pass-on the benefit of rate reduction to the end-users.

Great

Just wondering how many Comp Science Universities do we have in Pak today and what is our level as compared to rest of south Asia and western world? Are we focusing on programming alone or are we covering other areas of high tech?

Comment

Link please, it makes it easier for people to check the source of the article.
      And this is excellent news, as long as it is permanent.
      Now the IT centers can really spring up and help with our own economy and industry.

------------------
      CROIRE A L'INCROYABLE
      You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Comment

http://www.dawn.com/2001/04/14/top5.htm

You and your linkoria.

I dont think there is any reason to doubt this will be permanent. None of the previous rate decreases were reversed, and I think the government wouldnt reduce it if there were a chance that it would have to be reversed later on.

As for Comp. Science Universities, well, all major universities have very respectable computer departments. Then we have a few(very few) universities dedicated for computer studies. I think no more than 2 or 3. But after that, we move on to the 'institutes'. Well, you can find one of those at every road corner. There are many many institutes offering all brands of courses, in different lengths, all training you for certification exams in different aspects of networking, routers and programming. The training imparted in these institutes is the latest, but the drawback is that they dont involve research. Hence, you have to make sure on your own that you are studying the latest models, and not something that was outdated two years ago.

Nonetheless, Pakistan is very much at par with most of the countries in the world with regards to availability of computer technology. The main problem lies in lack of jobs, which I believe will be solved as the result of a cyclical process following the easy and cheap availability of technology. So its all a matter of time. We are getting there.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastern Analog:
          But after that, we move on to the 'institutes'. Well, you can find one of those at every road corner. There are many many institutes offering all brands of courses, in different lengths, all training you for certification exams in different aspects of networking, routers and programming. The training imparted in these institutes is the latest, but the drawback is that they dont involve research. Hence, you have to make sure on your own that you are studying the latest models, and not something that was outdated two years ago.
          Well most of the the training in these institutes is ot indepth..... People sometimes dont know how to do what they have just learned.... Its more of theory than practice....... There is one thing about pakistan which I really love.... when we start thinking of something as good...it blows like a nuclear bomb..... Take computers for example.... compared to other places they are dirt cheap in pk and they are latest too.... P4 was available in pakistan months before aussie and cheaper ...... same with the internet... so many ppl have the internet now. Though good unis and institute lag behind.
          Same situaltion with certifications exams... every kids an mcse ..... though most of them dont know what its about but they have enough knowledge to be called computer literate.

Comment

Analog it is an obsessive complusive disorder.
            I am taking conseling for it but it ain't working.
            firstly thanks for the added informantion.
            But do you have any idea on how much money the gobt makes per call.
            Becuase when i was in pakistan, the internet was damn expensive.
            They were making a killing the profit.
            What about now??

And who me is correct, my computer P3 800 256 ram dvd rom etc cost a total of 700 dollars.
            While here it wouild be nearly 2000.

------------------
            CROIRE A L'INCROYABLE

Comment

i remember towards late 80s it was MBA
              in mid 90s it was chartered accountancy.

so we go in cycles.. people learn everything which is in fashion .. but don;t get jobs..

when next phase comes.. they learn that as well.. but still don;t get jobs..

then we have other people who can't even get into these uni's because serial students have taken up all the places..

i would advise people to study something for the future not present.. but dabble in the present requirements while studying for the future..

I finished Environmental Engineering in 95.. when people did not know what it entailed.. knowing that I will not find an adequate job in what I want to do for another 4 years or so.. but I will be fully qualified for it when they really need me.. in the meantime i can do anything else related to my field..

It worked.. and i have been working for the Environment Agency in UK since 98..

If i had done what everyone else was doing i would be out of a job right now.

Comment

CM..Internet service prices are dirt cheap in Pakistan, literally. The competition is very healthy, and has promoted very cheap alternatives.
                I know a cable ISP in Lahore offering unlimited cable internet at Rs 1500 per month.
                PTCL offers unlimited dialup internet at Rs 1000 a month.
                There is a new startup in Lahore which is currently providing free advertisement supported internet to many areas for a minor start up fee. I dont know how long it will last, but the fact that a company is confident enough to even start something like this is great news.

Now regarding the phonebill. Multimetering was an issue in the beginning, where a call was limited to 5 minutes, and after 5 minutes, it would be charged for a whole new call. The first positive step they took with regards to that was to eliminate multimetering for ISPs. Good job. But now, whether through some inside work, or just thanks to the age old phone lines, people complain that their internet connections mysteriously drop after 10 min or so, forcing them to dial in again, which of course constitutes a new call, and a new charge.

But I still believe that the pluses largely outweigh the minuses.

Blackzero, I understand your concern. However, computer literacy is starkly different from an MBA or CA. Computer literacy enables you to search for work in a multitude of resources unlike MBAs or CAs. And the way public is rushing out to get computer certifications is huge compared to the herd mentality we saw in the 80s regarding MBAs and CAs.
                You are right in saying that people should study something for the future, but arent computers a huge huge part of the future, no matter which field you talk about?

Comment

Woo that is a major change since i was there.
                  But it is truly excellent news.

Also some extra info on the IT sector in pakistan.
                  No link as this is an update, so it is a direct cut and paste from the dawn.

---------------------------------------------
                  Information Technology to bring Rs 26 billion investment in Pakistan: Atta ISLAMABAD, April 16: Federal Minister for Science and Technology Prof Atta-ur-Rehman said here today that Rs 26 billion investment is coming in the field of information technology. The Minister said Rs 18 billion are being invested by five leading global companies in Pakistan, he said. Motorola USA is investing US$ 150 million (Rs 9 billion approximately), Oracle USA, US$ 20 million (Rs 1.2 billion), Akhtar Computers UK, US$ 30 million (Rs 1.8 billion), IBM, Rs 0.2 million and they will open 10 IT Centers every year and SAPURA, Malaysia is investing US$ 86 million, he added. Similarly China and Japan are also setting up software development centers in Pakistan. (APP) (Posted @ 18:50 PST)

------------------
                  CROIRE A L'INCROYABLE

Comment

What??? no link?? booo

Thats great news CM. Tech development is going to be around for a long time to come, and we cant afford to be left far behind in this. True the countries that are investing it are doing so more for their own motives, but we just have to learn to use these funds properly to benefit our own infrastructure. I believe we can do it.

Comment

The link master strikes again!!
                      Link to the above article by me!!
                      http://www.dawn.com/2001/04/17/

Dang i doesn't work.
                      I really need therapy.

------------------
                      CROIRE A L'INCROYABLE

Comment

Working...
                      X