Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Pakistan closer to Arab world or India?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.atimes.com/ind-pak/CC14Df01.html

Paying tribute to "Hindu" basant is a risky business. One has to appease or stand up against not only Islamists and Two-Nation Theorists, but also those who are bent upon changing Pakistan's geography and want to shift it from South Asia to the Middle East.

Asks Rahman, "Whether the rightists like it or not, it is a fact that we have more cultural similarities with India than with our Muslim brethren in Iran or Afghanistan. Who in Afghanistan or Iran chews pan? Where else but on the subcontinent are red chilies an essential ingredient of our food. Do Arabs wear dhoti, shalwar or sherwani? Our marriage customs and the rituals we follow after a person's death are common with India, except for the religious parts. We watch Indian movies and TV because they produce entertaining and glamorous programs. We understand the language and the family problems they present are similar to ours. In which other country is the saas-bahu (mother-in-law versus daughter-in-law) relationship the subject of so many plays and movies?" But he still feels the need to insist, "In spite of all these cultural similarities with India, we are and will remain a separate nation".

It is tempting to deride Pakistani intellectuals. But with 15,000 madrasas (seminaries) producing on an average 500,000 graduates believing in Talibanism or jihadism and about 50,000 jihadi graduates from armed training schools being produced every year, adding to the list of 1.7 million trained jihadis already in the country, it cannot be much fun for the liberal intellectual to live and stand up to the jihadi mentality. If they are still clinging to sub-continental traditions such as basant, and defending it publicly, one can only applaud them for their courage

Heck if you want to go that way, we should all just be part of india.
    Yes since we all eat pan forget about the two nation theory and lets join india again

------------------
    CROIRE A L'INCROYABLE
    You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Comment

A quite stupid article from yet another Pakistani journalist/Indian apologist.

Quite simply, both Pakistan and India owe a lot of their culture to Arabs as well as other influences. Pakistan also has retained many of it's Indian culture, which is only to be expected as we are from that part of the world.

This article is just a waste of effort.

Comment

Flying kites makes us closer to the Indians huh? What a load of rubbish indeed.

Why are so mnay Indians jealous of Pakistan's unique position in West Asia? We are the bridge between South Asia, West Asia and Central Asia. And we have cultural and historical commonalities with them all.

But we are looking west i.e. towards the Islamic world, and if that bothers partitioned India, then tough!

Comment

How is basant an indian thing? Is it celebrated anywhere in india like it is celebrated in Lahore.
          Basant is pre-pakistan, basant is a part of lahori culture so therefore its now Pakistani culture not Indian culture.

Comment

intresting and weird article to say the least. But the fact of the matter is that Pakistan and India are both one land, that is the sub-continent was once part of the islamic state and so therefore belongs to the muslims. Similary Spain was under the islamic state and hence therefore muslim land. And when the Khilafah returns INSHALLAH, it will bring back these land to the islamic state. Then we will have the correct culture and tarditions that are Islamic (not arabic or indian or pakistani).

Comment

Originally posted by mean machine naseem:

intresting and weird article to say the least. But the fact of the matter is that Pakistan and India are both one land, that is the sub-continent was once part of the islamic state and so therefore belongs to the muslims. Similary Spain was under the islamic state and hence therefore muslim land. And when the Khilafah returns INSHALLAH, it will bring back these land to the islamic state. Then we will have the correct culture and tarditions that are Islamic (not arabic or indian or pakistani).

hahahahah! You're kidding right!!

Maybe we all should be speaking Swahili because at some point or other we all came from Africa, right? Gimme a Break!

Comment

Originally posted by Topee Wala:
                How is basant an indian thing? Is it celebrated anywhere in india like it is celebrated in Lahore.
                Basant is pre-pakistan, basant is a part of lahori culture so therefore its now Pakistani culture not Indian culture.
                Whatevah! Basant is a Punjabi thing, not a Pakistani thing. Amritsar goes all out for Basant, as does Chandigar (I can comment on these cities since I've been there for Basant).

Pakistanis are not Arab, nor are they indigenous Indians, instead, they are neo-Mughal.

[This message has been edited by astrosfan (edited March 21, 2001).]

Comment

Basant in India has more to do with marjuana and bhangra than with flying kites.

The kite flying is purely a Lahori phenomenon, to the extent that it was (until very recently) virtually unknown even in Rawalpindi.

Comment

well friends whether you like it or not the fact remains that pakistani and culture is basically the same as much as pakistani muslims would like to associate themselves with the arab friends but average pakistani is and will remain close to indian culture
                    indian and paki food is same
                    indian paki family syestem is same for eg the tussle between daughter inlaw and mother inlaw.
                    chewing of pan.
                    indian movies.
                    and i guess an average pakistani will be easily assimilated in an indian croud and vice versa .
                    though there are political differences between india and pak. but i think the culture will remain the same.

Comment

Kabir, the same is also true of Indians who have also taken on some aspects of mughal culture, e.g. language, food, music etc.

It's a two way thing.

Comment

A very interesting opinion
                        http://www.pakistanlink.com/Opinion/2001/Feb/23/02.html

Paks Not Desi, Please!

By Pervaiz Alvi via e-mail

Growing up in Pakistan, one was familiar and felt comfortable with the word 'desi'. It generally meant something of local origin. The word has its roots in many of the indigenous languages. Similarl,y the word 'des' stood for land and country and was frequently used in nationalistic songs. The separatist movement in the then East Pakistan gave the word a new use and it became part of the new name for the new country - 'Bangladesh' (in Bangla 'des' is pronounced as 'desh'). However, in the USA this word has taken a new meaning. Here of late the word 'desi' is used in some circles to describe people or objects of South Asian origin. Whereas other nationalities could be described as desis, it is not right to refer to Pakistani-Americans as 'desis'. Pakistan is a sovereign and independent country located in close proximity of South and Central Asia, and Pakistanis are a distinct group comprising many ethnic subgroups of both South and Central Asian extraction. To identify ourselves as South Asians will deny us the special heritage that we possess, and to call ourselves as 'desi' would be certainly demeaning to our identity. We are proud Pakistani-Americans and must always refer to ourselves as such. Just like our kins, the Afghans, Tajiks, Uzbeks and Turks, we should refer to ourselves as Paks but not as 'desi', please!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Xtreme:
                          Kabir, the same is also true of Indians who have also taken on some aspects of mughal culture, e.g. language, food, music etc.

It's a two way thing.
                          I love this, Mughals came from Samarkand, they took Indian language and added some persian words and called it Urdu. Music and food are basically Indian, Arabian or persian muslims have no music or spicies.

Mughal culture is an Indian culture..no other country has a similar culture. There is no two way...we inherited purdah which we are very fast discarding.

Comment

Yes I forgot, the minarets on the Taj Mahal were originally part of a hindu temple, and of course, all meat dishes were introduced by vegetarian hindus and sikhs.

Rani, your obsessive desire to eliminate all possibility of outside influence is positively unhealthy. No doubt soon you will claim that levi jeans were invented in India. I am sure you know this, so why it burns you so much that muslim rule also had an impact I don't understand.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mr Xtreme:
                              Yes I forgot, the minarets on the Taj Mahal were originally part of a hindu temple, and of course, all meat dishes were introduced by vegetarian hindus and sikhs.

Actually it they were designed by a Greek Architect.

Rani, your obsessive desire to eliminate all possibility of outside influence is positively unhealthy. No doubt soon you will claim that levi jeans were invented in India. I am sure you know this, so why it burns you so much that muslim rule also had an impact I don't understand.

I am just trying to set the record straight. Tell me any country accept India and Pakistan that cook with spices and sing Sa rah gaama....

P.S. Hey....Have chicken Korma on your next visit to Arabia..cooked Arabian style with ginger garlic and cummin etc and buy some Indian classical music records sung by Arabian or persian aritists.

[This message has been edited by Rani (edited March 22, 2001).]

Comment

Working...
                              X