Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pakistani patriotism is motivated only by hatred of India, not genuine love!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My title summarizes my opinion! Any sensible comment?

From DAWN:

Pakistani students in the US

I AM an undergraduate student at a university in the USA, and it is impossible to ignore the differences between the way in which Pakistani and Indian students represent their respective countries. Even though the Pakistani student community here is smaller than the Indian student body, no one seems to make the effort to visually represent Pakistan.

The South Asian Students' Association on the campus is composed entirely of Indian officer-bearers not because there is any sort of discrimination against us, but because no Pakistani wants to take out the time to run for that position. The annual International Festival, which is one of the best ways that people can represent their countries, is coming up in April. Almost all the Indian students on the campus have willingly offered to help represent India in any way they can. There are more than enough Indian students lending traditional Indian items for display and offering to man their display table and there are plenty of Indian students willing to wear their Indian outfits for the International Fashion Show.

Indian students run for position on the various student councils and for positions in various student organisations. They know that creating the right "image" is all about creating the right impression in the public eye and they are willing to work at it. They care.

In sharp contrast, I have had to write, call and persistently urge the Pakistani students to help out. No one has replied. No one wants to take the time out to show what our national dress is like or to lend anything that could represent Pakistan. The total lack of response has been surprising. I would have thought that we would have been a little more enthusiastic about representing our country. Ironically enough, my Indian and American friends are the ones who have offered to help me find Pakistani cultural items, contact other universities, man the display table and take part in the International Fashion Show . Do we care enough?

It is all very well to say we are patriotic or to say that we are proud of being Pakistanis. What sort of pride are we talking about if we are not willing to make that little extra effort to help create a positive view of our homeland?

We celebrate our Independence Day and other national holidays with such fervour. The people of Pakistan already know that we have something to be proud of. Why not put in even half that effort into letting the international community know as well?

XXXXXX

Princeton

[This message has been edited by kumarakn (edited March 17, 2001).]
    Last edited by TLK; Jun 24, 2009, 10:39 AM.

Kumarakn,

the article doesn't in any way reflect the title of your post so if you are trying to prove that Pakistani patriotism is fuelled only by hatred of India I don't see why you needed to C & P this article.

Now, please tell us - what fuelled your need to start this thread?

Comment

Mr. Xtremist:

What fuelled me? My special love for Pakistanis.

Pakistan, from my observation has shown its patriotism only o the following counts:

1. Against Indians, when the situation becomes tense.

or

2. When there is a change in political leadership - even if it is totally undemocratic.

or

3. Tested a missile or nuclear device.

Pakistani patriotism is difficult to find in scenarios without a hate against India.

God knows what is your relation with your religion! (Is it hatred for others?) - I say this "fuelled" by so many sectarion killings all across my beloved Pakistan!

And Last but not the least Mr. Xtreme, if you need time to understand simple english,
      here is the explanation to your following comment "the article doesn't in any way reflect the title of your post":

I said, (my choice of) the title summarizes my opinion in the very first line of my previous post.

Xterm: You can get more info here: http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/Forum4/HTML/002371.html

Comment

Its good that Pakistan doesnt have patriots like

Azhar udin,

Harshad Mehta

Bangaru Laxman

M/S Jaitley

Hinduja bros.

Bhagvan Rajnesh

P.M. Narsimha Rao

Arun Shourie

Thackerey

Varsha Bhosle

Sudershan

Murli wannabe physicist Joshi

Uma Bharti

Jay lalitha

Nanda ex navy cmndr /arms dealer billioneer Son killed 30 ppl. qwith bmw (new0Unlicensed unregisteed car & driver

Sharma- grand son of Predident deendayal ,not c arrested for point black shooting of Jessica Lal model

PATRIOTISM IS THE LAST REFUGE OF SCOUNDREL

who said this???????

------------------

"jo kHat main kahte they apni jaan mujhko
        aaj kHat likhne main unki jaan jaati hai .....

Comment

Steady on, Kumarakan, there's no need to blow a gasket just because I pointed out that your C&P is unrelated to your provocative title. What the article says is that this one student found that there weren't that many Pakistanis willing to represent Pakistan in cultural events (in that one University). What has that got to do with Pakistanis everywhere else hating India (in your opinion)?

Pakistan, from my observation has shown its patriotism only o the following counts:

1. Against Indians, when the situation becomes tense.

or

2. When there is a change in political leadership - even if it is totally undemocratic.

or

3. Tested a missile or nuclear device.

Pakistani patriotism is difficult to find in scenarios without a hate against India.
          If Pakistanis feel patriotic in these situations, how does that prove that they aren't patriotic in other situations? What's your point exactly?

Comment

(in that one University).
            That guy was from Princeton and that is the story everywhere. In my own university, the undergraduate funding board funds 8000 dollars per year for any group with undergraduate students that have a legal interest (including fishing).

We have the following groups representing India:

- India students Association
            - Society for Bharathyiya Heritage and appreciation
            - AID India
            - Triveni
            - Kaveri

All it needs is a bunch of volunteers who are ready to meet every week, organize activities towards their goals and keep themselves qualified for the next year.

Pakistani organizations: None!

Nowhere, absolutely nowhere there is a feeling of Pakistani pride in anything anywhere among any pakistani in all of the universities I have seen, unless it comes to your green painted missiles or nuclear bomb or fighting with India.

Pakistanis have demonstrated no unity or sense of ownership in anything that is Pakistani. When sanctions were imposed on India and Pakistan, Pakistani's withdrew all their funds and brought Pakistan to a grinding halt. Whereas the Resurgent India bonds had to be stopped before its deadline because of over-support from NRIs.

This letter from that guy at Princeton is definitely not the first one nor will be the last. Have you been reading Pakistani newspapers at least as long I imagine you to have been reading them, you would have seen this to be fifith or sixth letter painting the same theme of lack of representation of Pakistanis in being proud to be a Pakistani.

This is sad and pathetic and that is what I summarized as my caption!

Comment

Kumarakan,

Let's assume everything you are saying is true. Why do you feel the need to come here and tell us about it?

Comment

kumarakn,
                u r confused guy, very confused. whatever u had in ur mind when u started thread, hasn't come out as yet.
                i can make it simple for you. just say, i hate pakistan, and you have said it all. why do u take such pains to first search such articles, read them upside down, and read them thru the eyes of ur mind and then cut paste them here. in a way its better that u vent ur frustration and anger this way, but do enlighten us what do u want to achieve? in the unis, indians are 10 times the no. of pakistanis. the bigger grp of people, the more the volunteers, the more they show up in uni activities. eg in my uni, there around 900 indians, compared with 150 pakistanis.

getting elected to a student office needs support. eg in student governments indians can afford to put up a candidate because obviously he/she will get the required no. of votes because of large no. of indians in the uni; which is not the case with pakistanis.
                get the point!

and if we were to go by ur theory of pakistanis patriotism, being fuelled because of india, then u would have seen a lot more pakistani activities just going on to compete india. which is not so, as u have mentioned urself.

[This message has been edited by Scratch (edited March 17, 2001).]
                I'm cold seed, I'm your sweetest leaf
                I'll ease your mind, I'll set you free

Comment

Scratch:

Thanks for enlightening me how confused I am. When you can't argue you hit the person, they say.

Regarding your comment that "I hate Pakistan". No, it is the hate of Pakistan that I hate.

Pakistani's have no purpose or agenda where India does not figure! Swallow the truth!

Comment

[quote] Why do you feel the need to come here and tell us about it? [quote]

Great beginning Moderator! If you keep this up, you know where you will take this forum!!

Comment

An article written by merely one student and which does not meet the general consensus, agreement or approval of the ethnic student body in question can not be used to draw a conclusion on any standing regarding that particular ethnic body.

Secondly, and when I say what I am 'bout to say, I say this not only on my behalf but also on the behalf of my friends & fellow colleagues that those of us who have either been born or bred in western society, hold our religion (Islam) not only basis of belief but also as a culture, custom, tradition and way of life. Many of the indian practices had been assimilated into Pakistani ones from having lived with Hindus before the partition. Those, which are not a part of our religion and culture we can not represent, for it would be sheer hypocrisy and Islam completely discourages a two-faced behavior. That is the reason, that in universities and colleges across the nation in present day and time, various Muslim Student Associations hold a stronger and firmer status then that of national associations.

As you have said yourself:
                      "We have the following groups representing India:

- India students Association
                      - Society for Bharathyiya Heritage and appreciation
                      - AID India
                      - Triveni
                      - Kaveri"

It seems like all these associations work for the betterment of India only. Whereas, works carried out by Muslim students in Islamic Associations are for the relief of not only Pakistan but for Muslims all over the world. Regardless of their race, ethnicity, creed and so forth. The only catch with Islamic associations in numerous colleges and universities is that they work behind the scenes. Many students don't want to let themselves or the work they are doing be known. Not because they lack patriotism or don't like what they are doing, but because they are doing it for the Will and Happiness of Al-Mighty only.

Comment

Rare diamonds:

FYI, there is abosultely not one Pakistani student at UC's Muslim Students Association. I know atleast 3 Indians actively working for it.

Also, I did not start this thread to describe lack of participation of Pakistanis in Islam, it is lack of participation that is anything Pakistani, without being anti-Indian.

Comment

Absolute crap!!
                          Pakistani patriotism isn't motivated by hatred for India but it is genuine love for our country.
                          I should know,I am pakistani!!
                          The reverse of course could be true and probably is.Love for our own country does generate hatred for India.And why not?
                          That's one thing the Indians are actually good at.i.e. giving everybody a reason to hate them.
                          Which one of their neighbours doens't hate them?That is a question you can ask.
                          Pakistan does,China does,Srilanka does,Nepal does,Bangladesh does.So we ask who doesn't??
                          As for pakistani patriotism no need for Indians to tell us what it is.
                          Nobody can know our feelings better than ourselves.And I for one know I have genuine love for my country,and I only dislike India for what its deeds are.
                          I don't believe in hating a nation or a country simply for hate's sake.
                          SO kumarakn if you are unnerved about hatred for India better do something positive on your own end to make India more loveable.
                          Don't make excuses for it.India gans nothing by your attitude.

Comment

The same can be said about India. The feeling is mutual. I have met Muslims from India that hate Pakistan because of their patriotism towards their mother country India. So whats the point?

At least on this Pakistani forum Indians are still welcomed and respected in many cases, but on Indian forums Pakistanis and Muslims are cursed out every single thread.

Comment

i know for a fact that George Mason, George Washington, Vriginia Tech, University of Virginia, North Carolina State Univ, UNC, Duke, Univ of MD at college Park all have active Pak Student Associations PakSa.

They all communicate and cooperate with each other too. How beneficial they are to Pakistan? well they represent Pakistan in major campus events. incoming Pakistani students face no problems if they contact someone in PakSa.

but the main purpose remains to get together once a while and have fun and socialize. is that anti indian? i think not.

Comment

Working...
                              X