Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pak-Taliban "Cold War" begins

Pak-Taliban "Cold War" begins

ISLAMABAD: A week after Pakistan denounced its close ally Taliban for its decision to destroy 2000-year-old Buddha statues, the Afghan militia has served an ultimatum to Pakistan asking it to vacate two border posts at the Pak-Afghan border or "face dire consequences."

"Commander of Taliban Border Force Qari Muhmmad Ismail has written a letter to political administration of Pakistan's Khyber Agency and the head of Khyber rifles, manning the 2000-km porous borders between the two countries, to provide legal proof that the border posts at Bara and Ayub belonged to it or vacate it," Pakistan military officials at northern town of Peshawar said Friday night.

Ismail warned his counterpart of "dire consequences" if the two posts were not vacated. His letter followed a mysterious bomb explosions near Pakistan consulate in Afghanistan's Jalalabad town Friday. Reports from Peshawar said the blast took place at a madarasa (Islamic seminary), close to Pakistani consulate.

However, it failed to cause much damage, Taliban officials said. Ismail's letter to Pakistan border police followed sudden eruption of clashes between the border guards of two countries two days ago. The situation became tense when Taliban militiamen obstructed Pakistan border officials from removing Taliban flags hoisted in what Pakistan officials claimed as their territory. During ensuing scuffles, some Taliban men even tried to abduct Pakistan border guards but were, however, overpowered and beaten back, reports said. PTI

=
    Sorry for just a cut an paste, my opinion will be coming soon.
    ================================================== ============

ADDENDUM:

Sorry Xtreme. Thought Pakistani papers would also have covered this as this was an incident, not an opinion.

Except the few lines about the bombimg near consulate (which IMHO was irrelevant), I think the article summarized the border-post incident and its events.

Here is the link (specially gift wrapped from JC Penny): http://www.expressindia.com/news/dai...7/01703101.htm

[This message has been edited by kumarakn (edited March 17, 2001).]

if this is true those taliban idiots better sort themselves out
    their country is messed good and proper and they are picking fights on pakistan.
    those talibans need to be taught a lesson good and proper but hopefully it wont get to that stage since we pakistani's have other problems to sort out before we pick on those guys

------------------
    Nothing in this world has put so many men on their feet as the alarm clock
    I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by

Comment

Can you please provide a link for this article? In the News International it was reported that Taliban had apologised to Pakistan for the border incident so there seems to be a discrepency.

I'll reserve my comments until there is confirmation.

Comment

wouldnt that be something to cherish for indians. but keep on dreaming indians. if anything Islamic Republic of Pak will assist Taliban more in the future. ppl of Pak side with idol breakers and not the idol makers.

Comment

Xtreme:

And I did not know that somebody apologized. Will you please provide a link and explain so that I can understand the current status of the issue?

Mundyaa:

Nobody is dreaming anything here. We are discussing an incident. It is you who dreams, dreaming "a pakistani dream".

Comment

Regarding the article; it doesn't have a name of the journalist who has written the article. Is there a reason?

The basis of the story from what I can gather, is formed on two quotes:

"face dire consequences."

and

"Commander of Taliban Border Force Qari Muhmmad Ismail has written a letter to political administration of Pakistan's Khyber Agency and the head of Khyber riffles, manning the 2000-km porous borders between the two countries, to provide legal proof that the border posts at Bara and Ayub belonged to it or vacate it," Pakistan military officials at northern town of Peshawar said Friday night.

The first quote doesn't mean anything, and we aren't told who is responsible for the second one - in fact, neither of them are attributed to anybody in particular. It isn't very professional to give a quote without saying who is supposed to have said it, i.e. actual names of supposed military officials.

Is Indian Express supposed to be a serious news site? I'm sorry but there isn't really much point in discussing this unless we can get some more specific sources for the "quotes".

Comment

Xtreme: IE is sure a credible site being the newspaper with the largest network and readership in India - a country with a huge english speaking population.

Also PTI is the source for the article.

Also, where is the apology link you mentiond?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Xtreme:

Is Indian Express supposed to be a serious news site?

Another gem by the one and only Mr. Xtreme !!
                I kind of like this guy - a non-resident authority on Indian SubContinent.

Thanks for telling me that I grew up reading a non-serious and frivolous newspaper and so did a vast majority of Indians.

In any case buddy, it is not Indian Express but PTI (Press Trust of India), a very respected news agency, which is the source of the news.
                And also Agency news typically don't carry correspondent's/journalist's names.

So, Mr. Xtreme , as they say look before u leap. Moderators are not supposed to make an ass of themselves here.

[This message has been edited by chilli (edited March 17, 2001).]

Comment

The fact is, this newspaper has given quotes without attributing them to anybody so unless we know who said these things there's not much point in pursuing it.

>> Also, where is the apology link you mentiond?

I read it in the print version of the News International. If I can find a web version I'll post a link later.

Chilli, go drink some pepsi yaar. Too much mirch is making you tetchy.

Comment

Here you go:

=============================================

http://www.jang.com.pk/thenews/mar20...main/main9.htm

Border reopened after Taliban apology

By our correspondent

PESHAWAR: The Pak-Afghan border at Torkham was reopened on Wednesday after a closure of about 24 hours since Tuesday afternoon, when the gates were closed following a clash between Pakistani border guards and Taliban officials, official sources said.

"Gates were only opened at 1:00 pm on Wednesday after a formal apology from the Taliban authorities," said an official source, requesting not to be named. The Taliban authorities tendered the apology at a meeting with the Pakistani officials, including Political Agent Khyber Agency Tipu Mohabat Khan and Commandant Khyber Rifles Colonel Fareedullah at Torkham.

"A senior official of the Afghan Consulate in Peshawar also attended the meeting, also participated by border guards from across the Durand Line. They (Taliban) tendered a formal apology for the mishap," they said.

Eyewitnesses said a long queue of different kinds of vehicles was formed on Pakistani side of the Durand Line due to closure of the border for about 24 hours. "Thousands of stranded travellers crossed to Afghanistan after the reopening of the gates," they said.

The Afghan side of the border was, however, reported to be calm during this period as no crowd was seen there during the closure of border. "Taliban authorities also promised to initiate action against those responsible for the mishap," the sources said.

Comment

My suggestion to you hindians:
                      Just be worry about your corrupt leaders
                      and Army... Pak+Afghan are still friends.
                      I would never trust anything about Pakistan
                      I read in an indian or british source as
                      they're both biased and third class about
                      there reporting..
                      There are only two forces in the world, the sword and the spirit. In the end the sword will always be conquered by the spirit. --Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

DONT WORRY THIS IS A TRICK FOR INDIANS >.>
                        PAKISTAN AND AFGHANISTAN ALWAYS ALLIES AND GOOD FRIENDS>>

INDIAN HINDU CANT BREAK THAT BOND>

Comment

Working...
                        X