WHICH NEWS ITEM IS CORRECT OUT OF TWO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WHICH NEWS ITEM IS CORRECT OUT OF TWO

According to a news item appearing today (20th February) inaugurating the new Parco refinery the Chief Executive stated that investment in the country was increasing.

State Bank of Pakistan whose figures early 70s when I was in B.Com was taught are, and in fact should be and are supposed to be, the most authenticated (the then government if my memories are not misguiding me for some years stopped release of full annual reports of SBP) it Governor only a few days back according to a14th January four column news item stated “economy is in standstill (jamood taree haye) and since last 6 years there is no investment”.

Which news item is correct? Both are correct it is only our journalism which is spreading disappointment!!!.

February 20, 2001

Does it really matter

Likee they say the proof is in the pudding so the results will become self evident soon --- I Hope

------------------
    Hated by many~~Loved by few~~But respected by All~~

Comment

State Bank Officer is right

Comment

Originally posted by Ahmedjan:
        State Bank Officer is right
        That is called creative book keeping.The same figures can be manipulated with some imaginations to make it look like the business was failure for tax purposes ,while in reality ,it is sustaining profit indirectly by appreciation,asset build up ,etc.Statistic though relied upon as scienfific data ,is subject to transmitting different impression the way it is compared.In my opinion ,two diverging claim can be right given the understanding ,the limitations of these data & figures.Its almost like loking a glass half full or half empty,hence many robust ,optimistic,,go gette,over ride bad news.

Comment

During Benazir every week we heard one new MOU (Memorandum of Understanding) being signed and clossal investment coming. Yes investment came but in shape of burgers, sandwiches, new icecreams where on dollar invested very next month 6 dollars are taken out.

In Pakistan no body is ready to invest. Why should foreigners when they know Pakistanis who have money are themselves investing abroad. See Jabel Ali in Dubai, big textile mills in Bahrain, projects in Saudi eastern region. etc

Comment

Working...
          X