Why Pakistani Paapers are biased......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Pakistani Paapers are biased......

When I was Pakistan I had chance to read many papers and here in UK also I can read "Jang".

I have noticed that all of these papers are biased when reporting the news about politics or religious reports. Generally when reporting accident they have almost similar stories.

However I found very few of the columnist write unbiased articles.

I dont understand is why our papers are not free to write and write neutral and write straightforward truth.

I think it is very important for people to have a trust on their journalists and newspapers are telling the truth and not hiding something because they get money from some religious or political group.

This is my personal view and I would like to hear what you think about our papers in Pakistan.

Media is a shop. You have to keep the items in your shop which sells. Everywhere in the world journalist write according to the public demand. There is governmental policy too. If you write something against general public beliefs it is not going to sell.
    This holds true not just for Pakistan but most countries.

[This message has been edited by analyze it (edited January 28, 2001).]

Comment

Originally posted by analyze it:
      Media is a shop. You have to keep the items in your shop which sells. Everywhere in the world journalist write according to the public demand. There is governmental policy too. If you write something against general public beliefs it is not going to sell.
      This holds true not just for Pakistan but most countries.

[This message has been edited by analyze it (edited January 28, 2001).]
      Coming that from your mouth is soooo funny and lame

------------------
      *We are the Taleban-Resistance is Futile*
      Sin: Osama Bin Junior

[This message has been edited by yOuNgBrAt (edited January 28, 2001).]

Comment

Its typical of pakistani newspapers.
        You should know that by reading this forum.

------------------
        CROIRE A L'INCROYABLE
        You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Comment

The Musharraf Govt has accorded extraordinary freedom to the press since its arrival, and its evident from some of the leading newpapers, like Dawn and News. The urdu papers, like jang and nawai waqt have routinely been tabloid papers, and nothing extraordinary can be expected of them. But the general hold of the govt over the press does not exist today as it did during Nawaz and BBs times.
          You just have to look for the unbiased sources, much like anywhere else in the world.

Comment

can u be more specific? what u think are the biases of different newspapers?

Comment

yes i agree with it completely .pakistani newspaper's always write what the people want to read . i think this is not good journalism i think truth is truth whether you like it or not .and the duty of the media is to show the truth
              during the kargil incident the pakistani media showed a very wrong picture to its people it kept on saying the mujahideen are fighting the indian army and the mujahideen are winning .when the whole world knew what was going on there .similarly during the bangladesh war 1971 when the pakistan i army had surrendered the pakistani radio and tv kept on saying we are fighting and winning when it was the exactly opposite goin on
              i think the truth must prevail.

Comment

in time of war, media will be biased. that is not surprise. but question is day-to-day functioning. i thought 'Nation' is pro-party-in power, whether Nawaz or Musharraf. Jang group's chief Maliha Lodhi is hired by Musharraf as ambassader. But I do not see any significnt change in their writing.

actually, if newspapers become unbiased, they become quite boring.

Comment

Kargil war was a military success for Pakistan. Diplomatically it was a failure. Certainly the press has not been afraid to be critical since Musharraf came to power.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Xtreme:
                    Kargil war was a military success for Pakistan. Diplomatically it was a failure. Certainly the press has not been afraid to be critical since Musharraf came to power.
                    True.
                    So True.

------------------
                    CROIRE A L'INCROYABLE
                    You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Comment

more often i think that newspapers don't print the truth is because authorities at higher places, namely the politicians, threaten the editors....

i am sure journalists know much about the politicians that the common public doesn't know but can't afford to write the truth because the whole system is corrupted
                      Save Pakistan.

Comment

Everyone is biased from the CNN, BBC to times of India and Dawn. This is all for the simple reason that one TRUTH has a hundred meanings. Its very simple. you see the difference when u compare them. Notice on the CNN website they only show one news story while on BBC its a lot different. If the people in Dawn really think that Kashmir should be free from India they will show the freedom fighters as Mujahedeen (holy warriors destined for Heaven) and in the times of India they will be called terrorists.

Another exaple is Aghanistan. During the cold war they were called Mujahedden, the exact ppl are now terrorists.

Everyone wants to serve their own purpose and to expect them not to is unfair.

Comment

OK I agree that there are circumstances when papers are asked to not report the actual facts.......I guess this is part of International politics but surely papers should be more responsible and accurate and truthful when report other incidents.

And last thing, this is not a excuse that press prints what people want because people wants the truth and they want the information reported in newspapers as accurately a possible.

I think Pakistani press should be more responsible about what they report and how they resport and publish the turth and stop "buttering" the Govt. and Politician or specially religious groups. I seen that now days papers give big headings to this extreme groups in pakistan as I sometimes feel that in background these groups are ruling pakistan and not Gen.Musharf.

If gen Mushraf want to free the media then he has to control the harresment of press and public by these groups.

------------------
                          "Away from Eyes......Close to Heart"

Comment

Insaaniat are you serious?

"Pakistan papers are biased "
                            as opposed to what?? American or other Western Newspaper who thrive on degrading Islam/Muslims? (or Pakistan for that matter). Ever Indian newspapers?? Get real!

Comment

As has been mentioned in some earlier comments nowhere is the press / media free or unbiased - everyone (govts.,ploiticians, business tycoons, media tycoons, publishers, editors, ...) has his/her own bias / agenda to push, some do it very openly (NYT,...) some slightly more cirscumpectly (BBC?, ...). On the whole, I think Pakistani Press under CE has been surprisingly free, definitely more than under the "democratically elected" govts. of BB and NS.
                              Frankly, given that it is open season on Pakistan, and Islam in general, in the international media, I think the Pakistani media should do all it can to project a positive image, without distorting the truth but eschewing our own petty differences, of our country and its people. Present our viewpoint on world affairs and stop "cut & paste" of agency (Reuters, AFP, etc) reports where freedom fighters are called "terrorists" and illegal occupation of land is passed off as "settlements".

[This message has been edited by Awam ki Awaz (edited February 05, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Awam ki Awaz (edited February 05, 2001).]

Comment

Working...
                              X