What Else Can You Do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Else Can You Do?

I found this quotation that belongs to Yusuf Salahuddin, the grandson of Allama Iqbal.

I believe he made this comment when he was asked why he didn't pursue a political career.

"I took a close look at the politcs and essentially it is all about self projection. I haven't come across anyone who is working for the country. Politcs is not the only way to serve your country. "

Anyone have other ideas on how one can serve their country?

Open up a posh restaurant in Lahore (like his dad did) and sell two week old iguana poo and charge a bundle.

It is sickening the kind of attention the offsprings of politicians and elite get in or culture. No one asks me why I didn't pursue politics?

Comment

if Hillary Clinton did not have any connection with Slick Willy, I doubt it, if she would even have a political career in NY.
      Makes sense, therefore, it this not only happens in Pakistan, but everywhere else in the world too.

Comment

Zman, there is a difference between people “electing” someone and giving undue attention to someone because someone happens to be the grandson of so and so. You think if Barbara Bush wanted to run for senate, she will stand a chance (oh God, please No.)? There is something called self-osmosis, which does not exist in Pakistan. People are not judged on their own merit, but on the deeds of their forefathers. The sickness may be universal, but it is almost epidemical in Pakistan.

Comment

Well ‘Sallu’ is a smart-ass .. well I do agree his statement… politics is all about self projection .. he is not the first to realize that but he is one of the many who indulge in it and than pretend that they are above all that … but again I agree you can serve your country other than being a politician .. or for that matter you can serve your country for not being a politician at all!
          Well being educated/civil/successful is a service in itself .. and many heads like that will do … you don’t have to be Edhi or Imran Khan or Burni etc. (although the more of them the better it is) but small deeds like shunning religious bigotry, tolerance, getting rid of social prejudice is something we badly need … you don’t have to take cues from the ‘Enlightened’ ones …

It is sickening the kind of attention the offsprings of politicians and elite get in or culture. No one asks me why I didn't pursue politics?

Agree with you NYA .. every ERA GERA NATHU KHERA politician has this heredity problem …
          Well I will ask you .. why didn’t you pursue politics? .. you could have been BB’s hubby ! she is crazy about your Sports Illustrated cover shot

------------------
          Hey one more thing
          These things are hard to explain
          For some it seems strange... to swallow
          The frontier of our minds
          Is the last place we find
          But maybe the first place we should go

Comment

Hmmm, NYA couldn't you relate this to the American obsession with the Kennedy family???

But yes it is truly sickening, but it happens every where not just in Pakistan.
            Take a global perspective.

------------------
            CROIRE A L'INCROYABLE
            You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Comment

Muzna quote:
              "Anyone have other ideas on how one can serve their country?"

Grassroots level, Edhi style, for example. He is at least accomplishing things for the down trodden.

Comment

Good points raised by all.

I too want to know why NYAhmadi didn't pursue a life in, note I didn't say "of", politics.

Comment

Working...
                X