Islamic State within Pakistan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Islamic State within Pakistan?

This was the New York Times. This is the first time, I have heard such a thing. I have never heard of the group “Tanzeem-ul-Ikhwan” before. Is this something new, or has it been involved in politico-religious sphere before?
    http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/worl...tan-Islam.html

I have c’d and p’s the article here, I am not sure if the link will work.. You might need to register for it.

January 16, 2001
    Pakistan Leader Pressured on Islam

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    Filed at 2:24 p.m. ET
    MUNARA, Pakistan (AP) -- A group led by retired army officers is threatening to establish its own Islamic state within Pakistan unless the nation's military government introduces Islamic rule within weeks.
    The call for an Islamic system in the mostly Muslim nation comes from Akram Awan, who says 300,000 people have sworn allegiance to Tanzeem-ul-Ikhwan, the organization he leads from a mosque 90 miles south of Islamabad.
    ``We believe very deeply in Islam and in the need for an Islamic system in Pakistan. This is our jihad,'' Awan told The Associated Press in an interview Tuesday at the mosque in Munara.
    Unlike other religious groups in Pakistan, Tanzeem-ul-Ikhwan is made up largely of ex-members of the army, which seized control of the country in a bloodless coup in October 1999.
    At a public meeting of his followers last week, Awan said the former soldiers and officers who dominate his group will enforce their version of Islam in an area he is threatening to chalk out if Pakistan is not made an Islamic state by March 7.
    Awan said Tuesday that the military government of Gen. Pervez Musharraf will be unable to prevent the move.
    ``They know it's not an easy thing to stop me. We are the army,'' Awan said. ``It is a fact that those in the army are our children, our grandchildren, our nephews.''
    Asked for comment, the office of Pakistan's religious affairs minister, Mahmood Qazi, said Qazi met with Awan last week after he delivered the ultimatum and told him that the government wants to move toward Islamic rule.
    There are signs the military government is already doing so. For example, the army announced this month that it would outlaw interest payments charged by banks and lending institutions as of July 1 in keeping with Islamic teachings.
    In a show of power in December, tens of thousands of men gathered outside Awan's headquarters during the holy month of Ramadan, living in tents and preparing to march on the capital. They were to be armed only with prayer beads and copies of the Quran.
    Awan called off the march at the last minute after a meeting with Moinuddin Haider, Pakistan's interior minister and a retired general, who he said pledged to move Pakistan toward Islamic rule.
    ``They promised us then that there would be an Islamic system in Pakistan,'' Awan said. ``We won't compromise and we won't play politics. They have to deliver on their promise.''

NYA never heard of it.
    And my question is that why isn't it in any of the pak or even the Indian newspapers??

------------------
    CROIRE A L'INCROYABLE
    You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Comment

CM. I was totally surprised also. I didn’t see this news in the Print version today or yesterday. It is only on NYT’s Internet version. I hope this not to be true, as this is something that Pakistan can live without.

Comment

I hope this not to be true, as this is something that Pakistan can live without.

Sure it can. But why not change the name to Indistan also?

So far Pakistan has produced allot of well following followers of Islam and extremely Islamic society right?

If you’re a true believer, then you shouldn’t worry at all. What is the surprise part here?
        It is time when Pakistan realized that it is an Islamic state.
        So it has started.
        India should prepare.

Salaam

------------------
        *We are the Taleban-Resistance is Futile*
        YB Osama Bin Junior.

Comment

Interestingly, i noticed it on BK, which i visit to see what India propogranda is going on.
          Did you get it from there??
          I tried to look on it, but you have to pay with a credit card, and since i don't have one i could no see.
          But i find this highly suspect, as no organize is listed like that in pakistan.
          And no pak news paper has picked up on it.
          I would say some one pulled a fast one on the NYT.

------------------
          CROIRE A L'INCROYABLE
          You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Comment

It's true, I've read it in the jang today but the jang wrote that they were a jehadi group.

These people seem to think that they know more than the Prophet (saw) If violence was the correct method to use to establish the state then the Prophet (saw) would have used it. However the Prophet (saw) spent 13 years talking to the people about Islam and changing their thoughts and emotions.

He (saw) sent Musab ibn Umayr to Medina to teach Islam. A year later he came back and told the prophet (saw) that Islam has entered every household which didn't mean that everyone became Muslim but everyone knew about Islam.

The Prophet (saw) went to Medina where the tribes of Banu Aws and Banu Khazraj gave him the Nussrah and the Islamic state was established.

Today the only way Islam could come into power would be via a military coup . So if this group is using a non-violent method, has a correct understanding of Islam and all its systems and has the support of the army then it will bring Islam.

[This message has been edited by scarface (edited January 17, 2001).]

Comment

My question:

What's wrong with Pakistan being an Islamic State and governed under Sharia?

Comment

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Pakistan becoming an Islamic State governed by Shariat laws. It is the desired will of the Pakistani people, and there has always been a consensus that Shariat should be the Supreme law of our land. All that has to be agreed is the modalities of it's implementation.

I am sometimes surprised (and fascinated) that such openly biased western papers, like the New York Times, give so much coverage to Islamic and Pakistani issues. One would think that they would spend more time discussing relevant American issues, like a democratic way to elect their President?

Comment

shria law means what are pakistan ready for asharia law? dont you have to create a system
                  where people dont have to steal to survive
                  before cutting of hands and things like.
                  what about corruption what catogorie it will be included. a politician may steal billions
                  still he may escpae sharia law stil hungry
                  man may steal a banana still loose a hand.

but there are countries with liberal laws where people follow laws voluntarily even if the punishment is not harsh.

what will be punishment for adultery?

[This message has been edited by rvikz (edited January 18, 2001).]

Comment

Outlaw, what is not wrong with the idea of an Islamic State? May be nothing, but the group is calling for a State within Pakistan, and that is kind of disturbing. Wouldn’t you think?

Mursalin. NYTimes has an excellent coverage on international matters, and they have covered enough about the elections as well (More than Malik has, believe it or not). In any events it a paper for more discerning and astute readers, so don’t worry too much about it.

Comment

This is not new news! Alhumdullilah Pakistan is an Islamic country; therefore Pakistan should be governed through Islamic Shariah ONLY. There is no law on earth that gives minority communities their fair rights other then true Islamic Laws.

Comment

Yaar Ahmadi, this is an old group. They are mostly retired army personnals and were promoted to higher ranks during Zia regime. They are the one who tried to take over office during BB time and were caught. I heard they are well funded by some outsider, they all drive expensive SUVs.

Comment

Originally posted by rvikz:

what will be punishment for adultery?

Death!

[This message has been edited by Musalman (edited January 18, 2001).]

Comment

ok you did not mention about corruption

Comment

Originally posted by rvikz:
                              ok you did not mention about corruption
                              There are punishments for the corrupt in the Shariah, depending on the category of their corruption.

Comment

Working...
                              X