• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BB threatened with arrest

=============================================
    http://www.dawn.com/2001/01/12/top8.htm

Benazir Bhutto may be arrested on return

KARACHI, Jan 11: Pakistan's military regime on Thursday threatened to arrest former prime minister Benazir Bhutto if she returns from self-exile in London as planned.

"Bhutto is a convict and the law will take its own course," military spokesman Major General Rashid Qureshi told AFP. "There is no question of any deal with Bhutto or her Pakistan People's Party."

The PPP on Wednesday announced she would return to Pakistan to fill the political vacuum created by last month's sudden exile to Saudi Arabia of her imprisoned rival, ousted prime minister Nawaz Sharif.

"Benazir will return in the near future. This decision has been taken," PPP deputy secretary general Raza Rabbani said. "Benazir Bhutto went abroad with the permission of the court and she will be accorded a historic welcome by the people of Pakistan when she comes back."

He said the exact date of her return would be announced after a three-week "mobilization campaign" but he did not say when that would start. Mr Qureshi denied rumours that the regime has held talks with the PPP about the return of Benazir.

"I don't think there is any truth of any talks with the PPP over Bhutto's return," he said, referring to Rabbani's claim that a senior army official had contacted the party.

The PML League hailed Benazir's plan to end her exile as yet another step in the opposition campaign to revive parliament and restore democracy. "Her return will be a welcome sign for politics," senior PML leader Raja Zafarul Haq said. "Political leaders' presence in the country is needed."-AFP

=============================================

I think BB should stay in her Essex mansion and enjoy her parties. Granted they might not be as flash as the parties in Karachi, but at least there's no chance of the polciya knocking on her door.

The PML League hailed Benazir's plan to end her exile as yet another step in the opposition campaign to revive parliament and restore democracy. "Her return will be a welcome sign for politics," senior PML leader Raja Zafarul Haq said. "Political leaders' presence in the country is needed."-AFP

That sounds a tad rich from a party whose leader fled the country first chance he got! My I'm surprised bt the "bravery" of Pakistan's former ruling class.

[This message has been edited by Malik73 (edited January 12, 2001).]

Comment

it sickens me to read these politican lie openly and the masses will accept it.

we all know who messed up pakistan, and even then they have the nerve to issue statements like this..

if they had done their job when they weree in power, they wouldn't be exiled, jailed, etc..

its just sad..

even sader is people who are advocates of democracy. they don't care what sort of democracy is in place, as long as its there..

*******s//

Comment

Probably the worst thing about this whole issue, and the on that worries me most, is that she actually will be welcomed back. Our people have a very short memory, and they have been readily forgiving their political heros till now. I pray people themselves jeopardize the return of this thief by ignoring her.

------------------
        May we all be forgiven for our sins, intentional or otherwise. Ameen

Comment

once a pply, pply forever.Once a muslim leaguey, leaguey forever. Thats what sucks in Pakistan.If you make Ahud Barak president of ppp, i gaurantee you that ppl will vote for him.what we need is education, education and education .

Comment

Papa Smurf I doubt the Essex exile will receive much of a welcome if she returns. This is not 1986, not 1988 and not 1993 when BB had a great deal, quite a lot or some popularity left. No even in her own stronghold - interior Sindh people have moved on and the memories of the PPP are just that, memories.

Look at the lack of any support for her in 1998 when she was convicted of corruption and in effect barred from office. I think the biggest demonstration was less than 100 strong.

She has been PM twice, along with the exile in Saudi and the people of Pakistan are not crying out for them. People want change, are getting change and are prepered to be patient for change. They are prepared to give General Musharraf the three years he has been mandated by the courts, and possibly more. After all the people gave BB and NS 11 years of their patience, and the good general has never asked for that long.

Comment

she wont come back unless she is sure that atmosphere is right. she will come only if she is convinced that people want her and musharraf wont dare to put her in jail. she may be corrupt, but not an idiot.

Comment

Good, news.
                ZZ she is an idiot, as she believes the masses would want her back.

------------------
                CROIRE A L'INCROYABLE
                You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Comment

arrest this woman and dont let her sstand in elections or pakistanis are doomed

Comment

I understand that she has property worth millions and millions Pounds in UK.I even saw some photographs in magazines.

Comment

Working...
                    X