No light at the end of tunnel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No light at the end of tunnel

So with this 5th continuous price hike for petroleum products, we have received yet another punch by this new messiah musharaf & his cabal of goons, perhaps the Eidie for poors of Pakistan.

I had never had any high hopes for this clown from the day one when he grabbed power. Not that I am trying to support any political setup that was prevalent before the coup, but fact remains that musharaf barged in for his own reasons; shallow objectives such as economic reforms, restoring national integrity and honor and what not were nowhere on his to-do list. The reason was one & only i.e to bring in a puppet political regime which would never dare create nuisance for the khakis. Fine – I don’t have any issue with that, after all it’s the khakis who have been pulling the strings on & off for the last half century of so. But for God sake, just stick to the point, do your job (which by the way is NOT your job) and get lost. Don’t try to make it sound like people have their hearts out for whatever you are doing. People in Pakistan don’t care two hoots about the so called accountability, the drama of anti corruption campaign, political reforms, elections etc.

The Never-could-do-Wrong led NADRA has already sucked up over half a billion rupees in return for garbage, no heads were rolled, so where’s the accountability?? A convicted felon was ruhsed out of country in the dark of the night, smoking up the honor of country’s highest court of justice. Where’s the accountability??
    Humayon Akhtar Rehman who’s got big chunks of loans stuck up his ass, is all well and kicking around, NAB doesn’t have the balls to go & ring the bell at his estate. Chaudary Shuja’at is all smiling while the NAB circus is in full swing. Corruption details in military purchases are out in daylight but NAB says all is well. Heck, are these important issues? What comes first – to feed the hungry stomachs or to follow the drama of plane hijacking case???

All that poor unfortunates of Pakistan beg for is just enough breathing room to make their ends meet at the end of the day. The ritual of price hike was common in BB’s term, it was there in NS’s time and we have seen it being repeated for 5 times in a year with all the promises of glorious days just around the corner.

The imported finance minister promises if the oil prices come down in international market, the benefit would be passed on to masses. Now when it was time to deliver on that promise, the whiz guys of musharaf pulled out another twist from their pocket to justify the 5th price hike. I don’t get it. Pakistan doesn’t purchase much of oil supplies directly from the international market, most of them come from gulf countries under one to one agreement b/w the two countries and even that on deferred payment plans. Then, since September, the oil prices have depreciated about 30% of the summer all time high. Now was the right time to pass the relief to people. Instead the butchers shamelessly lied in the face of those poor people. This is called old wine in new bottle. Ishaq Darr was doing the same thing, then Sartaj Aziz carried on the same practice and now the much hyped, imported finance whiz of musharaf has resorted to the same tactics to lie and continue molest & plunder the people of Pakistan…. And then these rotten heads really think that people are going to buy this nonsense reasoning??? Looking back at 1 yr of this self styled savior of Pakistan, I failed to see if there’s been any relief passed on to the people of Pakistan. Meaningless words, shallow slogans and ineptness in terms of delivering – those are the gifts of General Pervaiz Musharaf.
    Whats even worse is that he appears to think whatever he’s doing, people are going to say amen to it; a typical syndrome, every ruler in Pakistan suffers from. No light at the end of tunnel – sad it is.

Another newbie without an iota of knowledge.
    Did you know that oil here in Swiss is taxed 55%???
    In Eng i think it is something like 80%.
    As for the rest think what you want.
    The govt needs the money.
    If you can't buy the oil for the car.
    WALK!!
    Like 95% of the pakistani people.
    God i hate whiners.

------------------
    CROIRE A L'INCROYABLE
    You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Comment

yep, from the cozy comforts of swiss alpines, comes the like u who have no inkling of miseries that a common Pakistani undergoes daily due to financial crunch. Keep ur price comparisions back where u pulled out if from, not all 140 million Pakistanis have the luxury of living in the just societies of western world where govts hold themselves accountable to public.
      u probably goto Pakistan once in 5 yrs, enjoy ur stay in the previliged quarters of society and then come back and say wow! geeez i luv Pakistan, life is sooo charming out there.

[This message has been edited by sabah (edited January 02, 2001).]

Comment

Originally posted by lancerz:
        yep, from the cozy comforts of swiss alpines, comes the airheads like u who have no inkling of miseries that a common Pakistani undergoes daily due to financial crunch. Keep ur price comparisions back where u pulled out if from, not all 140 million Pakistanis have the luxury of living in the just societies of western world where govts hold themselves accountable to public.
        Dorks like u probably goto Pakistan once in 5 yrs, enjoy ur stay in the previliged quarters of society and then come back and say wow! geeez i luv Pakistan, life is sooo charming out there.
        U should continue enjoy some quality time at alps, dont make a fool out of urself here.
        Lancerz, I don't know why are you getting so edgy. Take it easy, yaar.

The energy prices have been an upsurge trend around the globe, and it was inevitable that they were going to go up.

NADRA has been doing some qualilty work since it came into existance few months back. All identification documents are being computerized. Whenever you launch a grass-root project i.e NARDRA, there are bound to be some complications in the initial stages.

As CM mentioned, look at the positive side of things, together we can turn the things around..

Comment

Thanks for the back Outlaw.
          New Kid Don't start mouthing off before you know what you are talking about.
          I was born and raisd in Pakistan.
          I am presently 18 and have spent 8 years of my life in Pakistan.
          I studied in Pakistan, and grew up in Pakistan.
          So saying i have no idea what a commoner feels in pakistan is absoulte crap.
          And deal with it.
          If the prices are high, WALK!!!

------------------
          CROIRE A L'INCROYABLE

Comment

CM: why don’t you hang a palcard around your neck with your auto biography on it. Spare me the garbage about who you are and what you’v done. Like I said before, you have no connection and no feelings about how’s life treating people in Pakistan, so stop ranting!
            And as for calling me newbie, kid etc, well funny, but tell ya what I could’v scored 2227 posts too with much nonsense, but I like to stay wise

Outlaw: a price hike would be & was justified in the 3rd quarter of the last yr when there indeed was a global upsurge, but now that prices have been coming down for the last 3 months, that was the most absurd reasoning given by musharaf gov. what it prove is that it’s the same old game with new faces. Hoodwink the masses and think they are going to buy it. Now GCC is already talking about cutting down oil production, come March and we’re going to see yet another hike then, even if they slash the price, they wont be passing any actual benefits to people due to this unjustified 5th price hike.

“Some complications” at the cost of Rs Half a billion??? Come on, they are not school kids out there, they were not even re-inventing the wheel, it was the matter of reorganizing the existing list with the most up to date information.

Frankly Iam unable to see any “positive sides” of the things as you have suggested, care to mention one which directly affects the life of the man out there on the street in a real manner?? As I said before, things in Pakistan have come to such a pass where an average person just need enough stretch to make ends meet in the most humble way possible. Musharraf has not been able to assure any such relief yet.

Comment

Originally posted by lancerz:
              yep, from the cozy comforts of swiss alpines, comes the airheads like u who have no inkling of miseries that a common Pakistani undergoes daily due to financial crunch. Keep ur price comparisions back where u pulled out if from, not all 140 million Pakistanis have the luxury of living in the just societies of western world where govts hold themselves accountable to public.
              Dorks like u probably goto Pakistan once in 5 yrs, enjoy ur stay in the previliged quarters of society and then come back and say wow! geeez i luv Pakistan, life is sooo charming out there.
              U should continue enjoy some quality time at alps, dont make a fool out of urself here.
              I like that. That's hitting the needle right on the head. It holds true for my fellow Indians too who display their "intellect" on Indian issues and LOVE for their native country from the comforts of their arm-chairs living in a grossly unrelated society and the luxury of the distant land...

CM, buddy did u hear about the French queen who when told that the good majority of her subject did not have BREAD to survive,said - ASK THEM TO EAT CAKES !!

[This message has been edited by chilli (edited January 01, 2001).]

Comment

Musharraf and his team are not stupid. In order to judge what has happened one has to be an economist. The people of Pakistan, we badly need the damn IMF. We need forign currency to buy everything from Edible Oils to medicine.

There are 2 froms of raxes, direct and indirect. Direct ones include income taxes and so on. Indirect include GST and taxes on Petrol. The govt has to earn money for its expenses and since no one has the habit of paying individual and corperate taxes in Pakistan the govt has to resort to increasing taxes on general goods. The rich people and the past governments are to blame for all this. Secondly, economicly one year is an insignificant amount of time. A business cycle for an economy is genrally 5 years. If today everything that is wroong in Pakistan is fixed it will take atleast 5 years for the results to be visible. So instead of being so gloomy, study the change and see why it is taking place.

And we, the people of Pakistan, have to pay for our mistakes as well... Electing the likes of Benazir and Nawaz.

Patentiance is required. Being critical is very easy. You have to give credit to what this govt has done: The major tax reforms, The devolution plan (which includes the voting going on now adays), the info. tech policy, the settelment with Hubco, getting rid of Nawaz from Politics, giving women 1/3 of all local body seats, catching all the corrupt and making them pay.

We have to be patient and pray to Allah that the situation improves.

salam (peace),

Comment

Chilli shut up, why don't you go look for Sajjadm so you could have a full brain then.
                  Lancerz, you are kid, look at the topic in in a much larger scope.
                  I bet you don't know that the price hike is in accordance with the IMF conditions we have to fulfill??
                  You can't be changing the price of oil every day now can you.
                  So with the ok of the IMF and GOP has decided to adjust the price every three months.
                  The next time the adjustment takes place is in March.
                  And the way things are going you might see an increase in international prices in march.

Now you did not seem to understand what the european comparision was about.
                  The West European nations esp. Eng and Swiss have more than 70% tax on oil.
                  The average in Europe is 64%.
                  It is a way for the govt to make money.
                  The Pakistan govt does not have much of a tax on it oil.
                  Now taking comparsions, the oil in pakistan costs around 60 US cents or 1 Swiss Franc, far cheaper than the 5 francs you have to pay here for a liter.
                  Standard of living is an important factor, but not important as a majority of those who own cars can easily pay for the price hike.
                  And there are more people who buy oil in Europe than in pakistan.
                  In Pakistan the oil price hikes mainly affects those people with cars, and the taxi drivers and those who own vans.
                  That is a very very very small portion of the population.
                  We don't use oil for major industries, we use gas, heck in homes all we use gas.
                  Hope that has enlightened you.

------------------
                  CROIRE A L'INCROYABLE

Comment

CM: you tried to show some senses but failed again – miserably!

The countries you are trying to compare Pakistan with have far more mature & healthy economies compare to shambles of Pakistan. The average per capita in these countries are far more higher than that of Pakistan and hence even 60 cents in Pakistan is still a very tough bullet to bite. So don’t try to act like you are carrying the economic theories in your pocket here! The govts in West try to keep a tab on inflation while in Pakistan, be it NS, BB or Musharaf, they all have played significant roles in boosting inflation to new heights.

In Pakistan the oil price hikes mainly affects those people with cars, and the taxi drivers and those who own vans. That is a very very very small portion of the population

now this really takes the cake! You really do know how things work in Pakistan…..pathetic!!!
                    so what do you think those taxis, cabs, rikshaws or vans are for? Do people like Musharaf or Ishrat or Shaukat use ‘em as means of transportation?? Hey I seriously hope you were not high when you puked this crap here – huh??
                    If you had any idea how things work in Pakistan, you’d know that every time there’s a price hike for petroleum products, yet another wave of inflation sweeps across the whole market indiscriminately.

Thanks for enlightening me – time for you to wake up!

Comment

Lancerz.....you used to write meaningful posts once upon a time.
                      CM knows which posts im talking about.

No matter who was ruling Pakistan, they would have had to raise oil prices, even if it was you yourself. This price hike is a condition tied up to the IMF loans that will benefit Pakistan for the time to come, without which, Pakistan would no doubt default(something i have no problem with). But since 80% of all our previous loans and grants that we were getting were going into NS and BBs pockets, we never got a chance to stabilize prices in Pakistan. Now things are on the right track. Like CM said, look at the broader picture, not one isolated issue.
                      Gasoline prices affect only those who can afford them. Same is the case with mass transportation.
                      However, the bottom line is, give it some time. We gave worthless democrazy 13 long years, and all we got were escalated debts and bigger bank balances for NS and BB...and now after just one year, you expect things to straighten out what took them 13 years to spoil. Give it some time and you will see the difference.

Comment

Lancerz, i am at a loss of words at your stupidity.
                        I was talking about the tax rate.
                        Also if there is such a high standard of living in europe, does that mean prices must be high as well??
                        Take the US which has a very high standard of living but its prices are waaay low.
                        What i was pointing out that the govt has every right to tax or raise or lower the prices of oil.
                        The govt needs to make the money to solve out debt problem.
                        I bet if you were in Europe you would not be complaining about the 64% tax on oil.
                        The govt has every right to raise the price.
                        And many of those who own cars are those who can afford this price hike.
                        Like Eastern Analog said However, the bottom line is, give it some time.

As for inflation, explain to me how just the hike in oil affects inflation???

------------------
                        CROIRE A L'INCROYABLE

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lancerz:
                          miseries that a common Pakistani undergoes daily due to financial crunch.

Common pakistanis drive cars now?

Comment

hahah...funny stuff..

but seriously, it had to be done. its not like the CE is like, hmm.. i'm bored. lets raise the oil price. there has to be a reason behind it and *****ing about it without knowing the details is stupid in my opinion.

-----------------------------------------
                            Written in a bathroom Stall:
                            Everybody pisses on the floor. Be a hero and **** on the ceiling.

[This message has been edited by nomaan (edited January 03, 2001).]

Comment

Working...
                            X