Poor Political System of Pakistan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poor Political System of Pakistan

I have been trying to figure out why pakistan is lacking a "Good" political system. Thought I might share with everyone my findings ...

1. A Country from Scratch: When the British left the divided subcontinent of India and Pakistan; the resources were to be shared among the two according to population. Though contrary to this, India enjoyed nearly most to all the resources left by the British and thus the government of Pakistan started from scratch. It is known as a fact that the Pakistan government didnít even own typewriters when it was created. The lack of resources haunted Pakistan and its government for the next decade as Pakistan tries to stand up on her feet.

2. Death of the Founder: The Founder of Pakistan, Quaid-e-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah died in 1948, a year after the creation of Pakistan. The leader of his competence, charisma and administrative capabilities do not come by very often. India on the other hand was in the secure hands of Nehru, who for nearly more than 17 years build a strong basis of democracy in India. The Indian people have to respect his devotion to his work and nation building the he did single handedly. Pakistan after the early death of Jinnah lacked that strong foundation in democratic system.

3. Lack of Leadership: There were no apparent Leaders after Jinnah who could fill up the gap he had left behind. The government that followed him lacked in commitment as well as the ability to govern ... which contrary to India made Pakistan falls into Praetorian regimes time after time.

4. Non-secular Governments: India, especially Nehru, had stressed on the need of keeping the state and religion separate. With the ethnic diversity and religious diversity of India, secularism was the only way to govern. Leaning towards any one certain religious group could have caused major riots in the country. Pakistan on the other hand, predominantly Muslim had always a leaning towards pro-Islamic government. Those ďfundamentalistsĒ (Medievalists indeed) that apposed the idea of Pakistan and tried their best to not let Jinnah have his way, started taking active roll in Pakistanís politics. Their non-secular ideas drifted Pakistan away from democracy decade after decade.

5. Corruption: Though this problem of corruption is common to both India and Pakistan, this evil has more strong roots in Pakistan due to lack of a strong government. Poverty among the government officials pushes for a more corrupt society and with the high political officials being the most corrupt; the people down the leader automatically turn to illegal ways of making money. Most of the Military governments that have ruled Pakistan justified their existence on corrupt democratic governments.

6. Influence of the Military: Due to the problem of Kashmir, and a hostile India as a neighbor, military had always a strong hold in Pakistan. With governments depending on defense more and more, the involvement of the military in day to day routine of the government has flourished a praetorian idea among the people and army itself. Moreover, the military governments (especially of Ayub) have been mostly beneficial to the common people and more sincere, less corrupt, and stable than the democratic governments.

7. Ethnic Majority: In India, there is no clear ethnic majority and on the foundation of pure secular government, the center is evenly diverse. Consequently, no single ethnic group can claim nor have the majority to discriminate against the others. Pakistan on the other hand had two major ethnic majorities. In the first few decades when the East and West Pakistan were together, east had a majority of Banglies and west of Punjabis. This ethnic breakup had caused hindrance in the democratic process. Even though the ethnic majorities have not disenfranchised the others, they have been accused of doing so anyway. Thus, the trust in the government has been shaky all along Pakistanís history.

8. Depended on the West: Pakistan from the beginning had a pro-western approach and neglected the idea of self-sufficiency. India on the other hand have tried to stay on the neutral side, especially in the era of Nehru but even afterwards always have encouraged a closed system of society. Though Pakistanís dependence on west can be blamed on the poor resources from the beginning but still the decision harmed the nation more than building it. Mostly military governments, keeping their arm aids in view, have leaned towards the super powers, especially America for help. This dependence has become more and more deep rooted through time and now itís inevitable for the Pakistani government to function without the foreign (western) aid.

9. Separated by Land: Pakistan in the beginning was a country with half of its population a 1000 miles apart, tore up between East and West Pakistan. The military, economic and government structure was hard to maintain with this separation. India evidently didnít have any such problems.

10. Commitment of the people: Government is a mirror image of the people. If the ruling people are corrupt, itís mainly due to the fact that the nation has gone corrupt. There has been a lack of commitment on behalf of the Pakistani people, who had ignored the importance of a fair democratic government. Their tolerance towards the corrupt have plagued the political system and their blind following of the insincere fundamentalists have damaged the society indefinitely.

Let me know what ya'll think ...
    I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    - Robert McCloskey
Working...
X