X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bhutto saved india from disgrace

Bhutto saved India from disgrace in '71: Indian Gen
    From Iftikhar Gilani
    NEW DELHI-In a startling revelation, Commander of Indian forces, who captured Bangladesh in 1971, has said that India and its Army were saved from disaster and disgrace by none other than Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto, who tore apart a Polish resolution in the United Nations calling for ceasefire at a time when India had not concentrated on capturing major part of East Pakistan. Bhutto ascended to presidentship of Pakistan soon after the war.
    The Punjab Governor, Lieutenant General (Retd) JFR Jacob, who commanded Indian troops in the Eastern Theatre, made these remarks in Chandigarh, commemorating the Fall of Dhaka on December 15.
    Recounting his experiences of Bangladesh War, Jacob explained that because of geo-political and strategic location of Dhaka, Indian forces had concentrated to capture the East Pakistan capital.
    While stating that by December 13, within nine days of the offensive, Indian forces were outside Dhaka, Lt-Gen Jacob disclosed that India and its Army were saved from disaster by none other than Bhutto.
    He said by December 13, Pakistan had successfully exerted considerable diplomatic pressure on India, with the United States politically tilting towards Pakistan.
    Though, by then China had not given any signal of trouble and the UN calls for ceasefire had been vetoed by Soviet Union, however, scenario was getting out of hand from India after December 13, said the Indian General.
    "On December 15 in United Nations, a Polish resolution supported by Soviet Union had come up calling for ceasefire and withdrawal of troops. Its passage would have been disastrous for India since we had not concentrated on capturing land, particularly towns, but had put all our energies on the strategy to capture Dhaka. And fortunately for us, Bhutto tore up the resolution and no debate took place,giving us enough time to arrange the surrender," said Lt-Gen. Jacob.
    Indian General also refuted the allegations levelled by Gen. A. A. K. Niyazi, whose surrender was secured by Jacob, then a Major-General leading the Indian offensive. "Niyazi's accusations against me of my blackmailing him or threatening to have him lynched, are not true.
    I had a difficult task at hand since I had barely three to four hours to negotiate and have the peace settlement signed. However, I ultimately managed to convince Niazi to sign the surrender as per the draft prepared by us," Lt-Gen Jacob said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ŠThe Nation Group

Bhutoo is not only responsible for this one stupidity ,foolishness & callousness ,that he was embodiment of it,HE WAS A LOOSE CANON IN THE GRAPHICAL AS WELL LITERAL SENSE OF THE WORD.

He had no idea what awareness of his effect on milions of ppl. were while vying to be the commander in chief.Not only millions died &billions lost but effect will continue upon history of muslims negatively.Talk aboutdoing in.He single handed demolished in years what couldn,t be replaced in centuries.There was nothing muslim about him to be a pak citizen.

[This message has been edited by Azad Munna (edited December 17, 2000).]

Comment

Originally posted by Azad Munna:
      Bhutoo is not only responsible for this one stupidity ,foolishness & callousness ,that he was embodiment of it,HE WAS A LOOSE CANON IN THE GRAPHICAL AS WELL LITERAL SENSE OF THE WORD.

He had no idea what awareness of his effect on milions of ppl. were while vying to be the commander in chief.Not only millions died &billions lost but effect will continue upon history of muslims negatively.Talk aboutdoing in.He single handed demolished in years what couldn,t be replaced in centuries.There was nothing muslim about him to be a pak citizen.

[This message has been edited by Azad Munna (edited December 17, 2000).]
      Bhutto was not stupid. He realized that he could come in power when he saw that PPP got maximum seats in West Pakistan and Awami League didn't get a single one. His utterences of "Idhar Hum aur Udhar Thum" reflects how his mind was working. He tore up the Polish Resolution because this would have meant the the Army would return without being disgraced. This would foil his designs. He deliberately delayed going to the UN for three days with an excuse of being unwell (Flu), and when he finally went he tore up the Resolution, to enable the Indians to get more time to capture Dacca. Traitor, yes! Stupid, No!

Comment

i have never been a supporter of bhutto. he was an ambitious person and a t times he did make mistakes. but mark my word that bhutto was the most patriotic leaders that PakistAN HAS EVER HAD. i dont understand why we blame bhutto for 71. had bhutto not taken a stance against mujib then mujib was determine dot come to power and implement his 6 point formula which meant almost complete autonomy from Pakistan. and mujib, the kind of person he was, would has never stayed content with just that. while remembering bhutto , we need to remember the good things he did for Pakistan too. it was he, under whose leadership, Pakistan was able to recover from nowhere after 1971. it was he who won the maximum points for Pakistan in the shimla accord after the 71 war despite the fact tha tour position was so weak. he has still got so much respect amongst the kashmiris because
        he did so much to highlight kashmir in front of the whole world. let's not drag his name with negative things all the time. had somebody given any heed to his suggestion of liberating kashmir during the 62 indo china war, kashmir would have been our's as india was being humiliated so baly by china tha tit had lef tno army in kashmir.

Comment

Working...
        X