Pak HINDUS protest against separate electorates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pak HINDUS protest against separate electorates

Hindus in Pakistan staged a rally at Jacobabad demanding restoration of the country's joint electorate system.

Under the present system, minorities, including Hindus, constitute a separate electorate in Pakistan.

Hundreds of Hindu men, women and children attended Sunday's rally led by Sadham Chand Chawla, president of the Hindu General Panchayat, Jacobabad, and convener of the All-Hindu General Panchayats of Larkana division.

The Hindu community had earlier decided not to participate in local council elections.

Leaders of different political parties attending the rally supported the boycott of polls by the Hindus, saying "the minorities' demand is genuine".

Chawla said the struggle would continue till the restoration of the joint electorate system in the country.

Sunita Devi, general secretary of the ladies' wing of the Hindu Panchayat, said the minorities in Pakistan had been neglected for over a decade "under a conspiracy by successive governments".

Sikh and Christian leaders also expressed solidarity with the Hindus.

protest makes sense only if there is some possibility of elections. i dont see any.

Comment

i feel sorry for minorities in both countries
      .both groups somehow gets sucked in to indo-pakistan confrontation

Comment

Pakistan has solved minority problem. They are less than 2%. Bangladesh also is managing similar feat. Hindus in BD are now less than 10% which is half what it was. In India, the way things are going, Hindus will become minority some time and that will solve the problem.

Comment

ZZ what exactly do you mean by dealing with the minorities and them being 2%????

------------------
          CROIRE A L'INCROYABLE
          You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Comment

"protest makes sense only if there is some possibility of elections. i dont see any."

Exactly....Elections kaa naam-o-nishaan nahi hai, aur yeh log chale protest karne.

Comment

Originally posted by BombayKid:
              "protest makes sense only if there is some possibility of elections. i dont see any."

Exactly....Elections kaa naam-o-nishaan nahi hai, aur yeh log chale protest karne.
              Bombay-bigot, we don't claim to be a democracy. Infact, we are proud to admit that Pakistan is a militiristic state.

Now, why would the world's biggest democracy shy away from giving Kashmiris the right of self determination ?

[This message has been edited by outlaw (edited December 18, 2000).]

Comment

I am not talking about India's democracy or lack of it. Every country decides which mode of governance is good for it like you've decided that a military government is good for you. Nothing wrong in that now -- just personal choice. But when people use words like "seperate electrorates", "right of self determination" etc, they just sound funny -- seriously they do
                By the way do you know what a bigot means -- and how do I qualify as one ?

Comment

BK, thank you for a level-headed reply. My apology for lashing out earlier.

Now, back to the topic. It would be misleading to state that minorities rights are being fully protected in Pakistan. For their voices to be heard on a national level, steps must be taken to ensure that each sects' participation in the parliament is correspondent to its populace.

Comment

ZZ i am waiting for the reply.
                    My guess you are refering to the decrees do to hostility??

------------------
                    CROIRE A L'INCROYABLE
                    You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Comment

Working...
                    X