X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UNLESS A CHILD OF THEIR's GET THROAT CHOKED

7 December 2000

SOUNF SUPARI

According to a news item appearing (October) the Sindh Ombudsman on complaints of some citizens has taken note of Saunf Supari issue and issued notices to the Karachi Municipality etc.

This is a matter which is the concern of parents and citizens since 25 years. Official data is not available but it is well known dozens of deaths have occurred due to choking of throats closing wind pipes of children. After "advertisements" on "Nayi Jawani in a week", Saunf Suparai is the second item having second largest advertisements both in print & mini screen. Citizens, schools, parents had all long been crying on this issue. President Pakistan Dental Association termed use of saunf supari by children a bigger bomb than Kalshinkov. But concerned authorities never moved and it is my firm belief "practically" they would never ever in real terms move unless child or a grand child of any DC, any Secretary or MNA etc does not get choked of wind pipe.

In 1987 having seen throats of two children clogged as a conscientious citizen I raised this issue with Federal Ombudsman Ref: Reg-II/10630/87 when I was advised to address concerned Department first. From 1987 to 1990 I addressed both Federal & Sindh Health Authorities but never got any response. This I did knowing well they would do nothing except empty words.

Sometime in 1988-89 I addressed again addressed Federal Ombudsman but the issue was not entertained being provincial matter. Sometime perhaps in 1994-95 I raised this issue with Sindh Ombudsman but it was not entertained, reason given perhaps was "I was not an aggrieved".

A news item appeared in Daily Jang Karachi of 16.12.1993 that Federal Ombudsman (repeat Wafaqi Mohtasib) had issued directives to Health Authorities (federal or provincial it was not known from small news item) to take note of saunf supari. The news item, as far as I know, was not contradicted by Federal Ombudsman Secretariat which means kind hearted Federal Ombudsman must had issued the directive under his special power seeing the increasing number of victims. But Saunf Supari is still there an act of MAL ADMINISTRATION.

22nd August 1999 I addressed this issue to a so-called Karachi consumers NGO but never heard from them. Now same NGO has come up in press saying they were doing this and that but it appears practically nothing is headway, nor would there be.

I think you have done enough as a citizen.If the govt, & ombudsman do not care for life (And you know ofcourse we care more to die than live b/c of fatalistic out look on life )so be it ,after all they dont mind dying so sure of themselves that he is so right that he will go to jannah for sure!.Who ever knows??

Comment

Working...
    X