An Pakistani American sues Pakistani gov't for compensation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An Pakistani American sues Pakistani gov't for compensation

O.k.. this is interesting. Read this in today's Dawn that an expat residing in US has sued Pakistani gov't for wrongful possesion of its plot in lahore. Apparently, the plot was taken over by the army to convert the land for providing housing for its personnel. He was promised compensation but nothing has been given.

Dunno how far this dude will get with this case but I think its fair. If one can't get justice from its own gov't, try other means. I hope he wins.

First of all we need to know what the facts are behind the case. It is very likely that the land was found to be one of those 'gift's or 'write-offs' which were very frequently and very generously handed out during the nawaz and benazir regime. And very likely, the army has taken it over because they unearthed the corruption behind it.....and that makes more sense to me, since the case is being filed in the US, which is ridiculous, since the Pak army does not follow US law. This is a ploy meant to defame the Pak army, and is very likely being done by a nawaz ally. I have seen similar cases before. And i know of many land related cases currently under army scrutiny, that have similar backgrounds.
    How does he expect to get $10million for 11acres? How does he expect to get anything, period?

And furthermore, the army never, never takes over land like that, to make housing for its personnel. I know that because i know it first hand. If there is a lack of housing for army personnel, the first step is to rent civilian houses that might be available.

I dont think its an issue about fair/unfair. Its more about stupidity, and political motivation.

Comment

Akif,

It does not matter whether BeNazir or Nawaz Sharif had illegally given theland. Ruling leaders whether belong to military or political party, has no right to distribute private or government land as a bribe to military officials to get their blessings. In Pakistan, matter is not decided based on merits or justice but it has always been 'Might is Right' basis. I think the guy has done the right thing to get justice by registering case in a USA court. Though it is not a happy situation, but getting any justice from rulers’ of Pakistan is out of question.

FARID

Comment

Quite possible indeed. This may just be a case of political motivation to tarnish Pakistan's already non-existent image. If it is, then its really sad and lowly of this individual. There can be myriad of possibilities. Lets see how it plays out. Nevertheless, it is amuzing..

Comment

Akif,
          It does not matter whether BeNazir or Nawaz Sharif had illegally given theland. Ruling leaders whether belong to military or political party, has no right to distribute private or government land as a bribe to military officials to get their blessings.

I think u misunderstood the news, or my response. The land was given by nawaz/benazir to one of their cohorts, the guy who is now suing for it in the US. The army took back the illegally 'gifted' land.
          Thats my assumption, but thats what i believe happened, otherwise the guy, who happens to be a lawyer(what a surprise) has nothing to gain by registering a case in a US court.

I think the guy has done the right thing to get justice by registering case in a USA court.

But what will he accomplish by that? US law does not apply in Pakistan, so to me, that clearly proves its nothing but a weak effort to malign the image of the army govt.

Comment

Dumb me, i actually thought the american govt was getting sued!!
            Stupid me.
            But i agree with akif, it must have been a gift of some sort.

------------------
            CROIRE A L'INCROYABLE
            You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Comment

Why is this even news.
              there are millions of lawsuits filed every year in US and Pakistani courts, since when law suits became news.
              millions of Pakistanis can file in Pakistani courts against the US govt. what will be the significance

Comment

Working...
              X