• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dinosaurs fossils discovered in Pakistan

So interesting!!

Dinosaurs fossils discovered in Pakistan

SAMWOnline News
    Saturday, December 02, 2000 12:27:27 PM EST

QUETTA, Dec 2: A team of Geological Survey of Pakistan (GSP) has made the country’s first-ever discovery of dinosaur fossils in Barkhan District of Balochistan, Director GSP Abdul Latif announced here Saturday.
    The director GSP said the GSP made the discovery during the course of geological mapping and biostratigraphic research in the area. While the research was still on, he said that with this discovery Pakistan was now among the very few countries of the world where dinosaur fossils had been discovered.
    Latif said that most of these earlier discoveries were made in different parts of North and South America and recently in China and Mongolia.
    Dinosaurs were giant reptiles, the largest being seven meters in height and 14 meters in length. They were dominant land animals during most of the Mesozoic era (from 225 to 65 million years ago) but became extinct towards its end.
    The dinosaur fossils found by the GSP comprise locomotary limbs. These have been recovered from the top of the Pab formation of Maastrichtian (Late Cretaccous) age, which represents a period of seven million years ranging from 72-65 million years before present in the geological timescale.
    The GSP's discovery attains special significance as the dinosaur fossils horizon in Pakistan is close to the period of dinosaurs extinction, which is estimated at about 65 million years ago.
    This thrilling discovery is expected to produce interest in local and global geo-scientific community, opening up several new avenues of research such as paleogeographic location of the sea, past land bridges in south and central Asia and the migratory pathways for dinosaurs and other land animals, the official said.
    He observed that it would also be of great value in the correlation of the worldwide phenomena of Irdlum anomaly, associated with the close of the Cretaceous period and the extinction of dinosaurs.

------------------
    "I was just here. Where did I go?" (Fox Mulder)

here's the addy: http://www.samwonline.com/samwonline...asp?CodeID=516

------------------
    "I was just here. Where did I go?" (Fox Mulder)

Comment

Cool read this at the dawn.
      Interesting info.
      There is oil in them dar hills.

------------------
      CROIRE A L'INCROYABLE
      You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Comment

Working...
      X