Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KALA BAGH DAM NEED UR LOOK

CONSEQUENCES OF NOT BUILDING KALABAGH DAM

i)National food security would be Jeopardized, thus subjecting the economy to additional burden of importing food grains.

ii) Loss of storage capacity of the on-line reservoir due to sedimentation would result in shortage of committed irrigation supplies causing serious drop even in existing agriculture production.

iii)For implementation of Water Apportionment Accord 1991, a new storage project like Kalabagh is essential. In its absence it would give rise to bitter inter-provincial disputes and recriminations particularly in a dry water year. Dispute between Punjab and Sindh on shortage of about 0.2 MAF water during Rabi maturing/Kharif sowing 1993-94 should be eye-opener. It may be worth mentioning that Rabi 1993-94 had a normal river inflow pattern.

iv) The annual energy generated at Kalabagh is equivalent to 20 million barrels of oil. This annual import of fuel for thermal generation, including augmentation of transportation infrastructure, would be an additional burden to the economy.

v)Recently, Federal Government has entered into agreements with international private sector to install over 3,000 MW of thermal power over next 3-4 years. Though it may help in overcoming the load-shedding, the power cost will increase substantially. Therefore, large scale injection of cheap Kalabagh hydropower would help to keep cost of electricity within affordability of the consumers.

vi)Growth of domestic industrial and agriculture sectors would be impended due to high power costs.

I would go for smaller dams as they are more economical, cheaper, easier to maintain and wont take away to much land from the people.

------------------
    CROIRE A L'INCROYABLE
    You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Comment

Hey CM wasn't there a World Bank report the othe day which reccommended smaller dams for Pakistan? - I'll try to track it down...

Comment

I have no idea, but when you find, post it please.

------------------
        CROIRE A L'INCROYABLE

Comment

Ahmedjan and CM here is the internet link to the "The World Commission on Dams".

http://www.dams.org/

They released a wide-ranging report last week on dams and particularly large dams.
          I'm going to print it out and read it all before I comment, but it seems to have some relevance to the Kalabagh debate.

Here's the link to the whole report:-

http://www.damsreport.org/docs/overv...d_overview.pdf

[This message has been edited by Malik73 (edited November 23, 2000).]

Comment

THanks very interesting.
            So smaller dams would be better for pakistani.
            Only if our govt could see that.
            It is cheaper, more effective and efficient, also easier to manage.

------------------
            CROIRE A L'INCROYABLE

Comment

Working...
            X