X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Govt to privatise PIA: Sher Afgan

Govt to privatise PIA: Sher Afgan

By our correspondent

LAHORE: The government has decided to privatise PIA so that it could be run into profit besides resolving the problem of overstaffing. These views were expressed by PIA managing director Sher Afgan Malik at meet the press programme at the Lahore Press Club here on Tuesday.

Malik told that all the hotels of the PIA round the world would be sold and the corporation would enter into an agreement with other airlines and companies to accommodate the passengers. He said the corporation was looking at joint ventures. He said the catering contract would also be a joint venture with other airlines in order to curtail and check the losses in this regard.

The PIA fares would be enhanced from November 15 for curtailing the losses, generating more revenue besides meeting fuel surcharge and giving a boost to the national flag carrier. He said the total liabilities of the corporation were Rs 33 billion and till May 2000 the approximate losses were Rs 4 to 5 billion. . He said domestic losses were Rs 1.7 billion out of which the corporation has recovered few millions and it would overcome soon after the measures being taken for the rebuilding of the corporation.

He said in the past, the political governments had looted the corporation resulting in the loss to the tune of billions, adding the government had given some money to the PIA's new management to steer it out crisis. He said no excess baggage would be allowed in future to any person and every passenger travelling through the national flag carrier would have to pay the full money for the excess baggage.

He said the computerisation in the corporation would be completed by the February 2001 after which the exact figures and working of the corporation would be improved manifold. He said after the computerisation a person can book his seat while sitting back at his house. He said at present the maintenance of the aircrafts were very high compared to other airlines as the average age of the planes were 20 years and they need more repair than the new ones. He said the corporation had leased out planes from Cathay Pacific and if they (planes) were still in good condition the PIA might renew the agreement or lease out planes from any other airlines.

Admitting that the PIA had become the worst airline internationally, he said with the proper utilization of the human resources the problem would be resolved. He said at present 5,000 daily wagers were working in the corporation and their problem of regularisation was lying pending for the last so many years. Successive governments come and go but they still remain on daily wages which was very unfair , he said adding that their problem of job security would be resolved within one-year as they were working more efficiently compared to the regular employees.

Holding the minute checking of the passengers by the different agencies at the airports of Lahore and Islamabad responsible for the delay in flights, he said the PIA staff was helpless. He said in Lahore and Islamabad, the place for big aircrafts were far less as compared to Karachi, so it would be impossible for the corporation staff to run the flights in time after the open sky policy.

Sher Afgan said due to this policy, the space at the two airports were congested further and after shifting the Lahore international to a new place the problem would be resolved. He said by June 2001 the major problems of the airline would be resolved. He said the decision of Supreme Court in favour of PIA's retrenched employees who were given job on political grounds, the problems of the corporation have compounded. But they wlll be solved soon as the whole system is being revamped.

=============================================

I am to tired to say anything.
    You read it, find it interesting comment.

------------------
    CROIRE A L'INCROYABLE
    You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

You're not tired enough to block post like you have been doing so far today are you everywhere?

I'll give it a good read and comment later...

P.S. This Sher Afghan Malik is not a relative of mine by the way - well not that I know of?

Comment

Excuse you, this is not block posting.
      I only get 1 time out of the day to post here, so i do it all together.
      I work in college, unlike you ofcourse, who is busy with surfing the net and getting PAID For it as well.
      Who is your boss and what is his e-mail??
      I might just send him a bit of friendly advice!!

------------------
      CROIRE A L'INCROYABLE

Comment

Get back to your classes!

Comment

Not until 4 pm.
          Till then tell me your bosses name!!

------------------
          CROIRE A L'INCROYABLE

Comment

Working...
          X