X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breaking news....SHC rejects death sentence for Nawaz Sharif

http://www.dawn.com/2000/10/30/latest.htm

SHC rejects death sentence for Nawaz Sharif:

KARACHI, Oct 30: The special appellate bench of Sindh High Court today rejected a state appeal demanding the execution of Nawaz Sharif for hijacking and terrorism and overturned one of his two life sentences, officials said. The three-judge panel ruled on three appeals related to Sharif's conviction in April for hijacking and terrorism involving events on the night of the military coup in October last year.

The appeal court dismissed state appeals demanding the death sentence for Sharif and the convictions of his six co-accused, including his brother Shahbaz, who had been acquitted in April and, in a split decision on Sharif's appeal against his two life sentences, it upheld the punishment for hijacking but threw out the prison term for terrorism.

One of the three judges argued Sharif was only guilty of abduction and deserved nothing more than three years' jail. Sharif was convicted for trying to stop a jet carrying Musharraf, who he had just sacked as army chief, and 198 passengers from landing in Pakistan on October 12, 1999.

Sharif, who remains head of his Pakistan Muslim League, was also given 14 years in July for tax evasion and his family is facing another two corruption charges. He has bitterly complained that the military has framed the charges and bullied the courts to remove him from the political scene. (AFP)

definitely good news. we dont want another bhutto episode here. so nawaz's generation can come back and cash in on his death, like benazir did after bhutto's death.

the man was a businessman and had little understanding of politics and what to do and what not to do when it comes to armed forces of Pakistan. He humiliated General Karamat and made him resign.... then he pushed his luck by trying the same to another one.

Well, he should have learnt the lesson the first time. He choked under pressure in Kargil and his limited leadership capabilities were exposed to all. He deserves all the punishment for looting the country if he did, evading taxes, borrowing loans etc. All other charges of treason, trying to plot a murder etc. are bogus and should be dropped.

Comment

Agree with Mundyaa sire... this judgement is further proof that Nawaz Sharif received a fair trial, and should snow finally shut up the west about this issue. Nawaz is going to spend the rest of his life rotting in places like Attock fort and his supporters will desert him and move on to other leaders.

Comment

>>>>Nawaz is going to spend the rest of his life rotting in places like Attock fort and his supporters will desert him and move on to other leaders.<<<<

i used to be a stauch supporter of nawaz shareef well who wasnt after benazir and her husband looted the country with both hands. he was the only remaining choice. But he lost my support after he cowardly decided to pull out from Kargil just to save his businesses etc. Being a Kashmiri he should have been the last person to sell his own Kashmiri brotheren's blood. now its payback time.... and he has earned this jail time.

Comment

Every you guys have said is very true.

------------------
          CROIRE A L'INCROYABLE
          You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Comment

I agree with you all. He deserved it.

Comment

I would have to agree as well

I know i shouldnt, but cant help feeling sorry for him.

[This message has been edited by hk (edited November 02, 2000).]

Comment

hk said -

" I know i shouldnt, but cant help feeling sorry for him."

Its a very human trait hk and I'm sure a lot of us feel 'sorry' for our enemies some time?

Comment

Working...
                X