X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Musharraf on Hindus, India and Indians

http://www.nation.com.pk/inset.htm
    Interview with Pakistani CEO Parvez Musharraff

Q. You claim the final word.Genetically speaking, are Indians and Pakistani's the same?
    A. I think that they are very different in many ways.

Q. Physically or character-wise, the two nations are different?
    A. I think both ways. Physically and also character-wise.

Q. How many children do you have?
    A. Two. A son and daughter.

Q. If your daughter would come and tell you that she would like to marry an Indian .... a terrific Indian. "A doctor", Would you object?
    A. If it's a Muslim Indian I wouldn't. If it's a Hindu Indian I would certainly object.

Q. You would object? If she would be willing to marry, let's say, a Catholic American, Irish American?
    A. I would again object.

Q. You requested international mediation of the UN Aren't you concerned that just because of India's reputation as a democratic country, ("the greatest democracy in the world") This mediation will tilt in favour of India because its a democracy?
    A. Well, we have demanded mediation, but mediation does not mean that we will automatically accept whatever the mediator concludes even if it is wrongfully tilting to the other side. We will certainly not accept it.

Q. Do you think that Pakistan, in general, Pakistani society, treats its minorities or different ethnic groups better or worse than India treats it own?
    A. 200 times better! Q. 200 times better? A. If not more. I'm very sure of that and this is, again, an unfortunate wrong perception that Indians create against Pakistan, of our being not accommodating enough against the minorities and our having extremist attitudes towards the minorities. There is nothing farther than the truth.

Q. With the risk of irritating you, you said a short time ago that you would not be happy to see your daughter marrying a Catholic or a non-Muslim. Doesn't this reflect some kind of intolerance towards,...
    A. No, I would beg to differ. This is not intolerance. I would love to interact with anybody of any religion and I have been interacting. I have been abroad and I've been interacting, in fact, let me tell you that when I was at the Royal College of Defense Studies, I respected the Israeli officer very much and my interaction with him and also with his wife was very pleasant. So I have no intolerance against any kind of interaction. But when it comes to marriages that you are talking of, now this is a totally different issue. There are cultural differences involved and there are societal differences involved and therefore that is the reason when I said that I would not like my daughter to be married to a Hindu Indian, that doesn't mean that I am intolerant. I interacted very well with the Indian Hindu officer who was there on the same course. He was my neighbour and we interacted very well with him.

Q. You point a finger at the media, saying that the media tilts strongly toward the Indian side?
    A. Yes. Certainly. I strongly believe that this is the case. There are a lot of Indians in the media, controlling the media and that is the unfortunate part, they distort facts. Actually perceptions that are not the reality.

Q. You are speaking about Indians who work as English journalists in England, and American journalists in America? Are you claiming that their heart is really with India? A. First of all there are a lot of Indians in all places in the international media .... television, newspaper .

Q. Sure. There are talented Indians.
    A. These Indians do have actually an interest themselves, and they also influence others, those who are around them, those of other nationalities.

Q. A plebiscite was offered in Kashmir by the United Nations in 1948. Do you still want it?
    A. Yes. Certainly. That is our position.

Q. Now, going back to what you said before, If the results would be pro-India, would you still accept them?
    A. Well, I am more than hundred percent sure that the (plebiscite-R.L.)results will not be pro-India.

Q. What if the people of Kashmir will vote for independence?
    A. There's no room for that. They have to vote either for India or for Pakistan.

Q. Kindly mention to me the four countries that are good friends of Pakistan.
    A. Okay. Number one, China. Turkey. Saudi Arabia. Abu Dhabi.

Q. Abu Dhabi is not a very big country.
    A. (Here the Pakistani Ambassador suddenly joins in, and corrects his chief executive: "UAE, United Arab Emirates, and the chief executive accepts.)

Q. You don't count the United States as one.
    A. Well.

Q. I said "good" friends.
    A. We have been good friends but not all that. ..

Q. Do you think that the nuclear weapons now present in both India and Pakistan make the sub-continent more, or less secure?
    A. More secure, I think.

Q. The people of India and Pakistan have shared a history of several thousand years, shared language, shared cuisine, music and common culture. Yet, there are more Muslims remaining in India than there are in Pakistan. Is that true?
    A. Population wise, is this true. I don't think it is true that India has more Muslim than we have. But I would like to comment on the first part when you talked about our history and our commonality. I do beg to differ. Our history is totally different. Our heroes are their villains and vice-versa. Our culture is absolute the opposite. They consider cows as their gods. We slaughter cows and eat them .

Q. Didn't India's culture stem partly from the area of what is Pakistan now?
    A. No. The Buddhist culture originated from Pakistan. But the Hindu culture did not originate from Pakistan.

Ranan R. Lurie is a Senior Adjunct Fellow with the CSIS, The Washington based think tank, the political cartoonist for FOREIGN AFFAIRS magazine, and an internationally syndicated political analyst/cartoonist http://www.foreignaffairs.org

[This message has been edited by mohabbat (edited October 24, 2000).]

There is nothng in the info. that an average muslims on either side of the border are not aware of .It is not only Musharaffs view but many hindus who consider themselves secular ,tolerent would not hold any different view about his daughter as mr. musharaff.
    Btw, mr. gandhi in 46-47 & up untill his death held similar views,may be his conclusion was based on different set of principles but conclusion was the same.Nehrus sister Vijay laxmi & a muslim young man were in love ,but Gandhi ji advised Nehru & the couple not to marry as he thaught more harm could come to hindu muslim amity than good.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by HRITHIK:
      There is nothng in the info. that an average muslims on either side of the border are not aware of .It is not only Musharaffs view but many hindus who consider themselves secular ,tolerent would not hold any different view about his daughter as mr. musharaff.
      Btw, mr. gandhi in 46-47 & up untill his death held similar views,may be his conclusion was based on different set of principles but conclusion was the same.Nehrus sister Vijay laxmi & a muslim young man were in love ,but Gandhi ji advised Nehru & the couple not to marry as he thaught more harm could come to hindu muslim amity than good.

i think musharaf could've said it better. ISLAM doesn't allow it so thats that. No if's and but's about it.

Comment

Originally posted by mohabbat:

Q. Didn't India's culture stem partly from the area of what is Pakistan now?
        A. No. The Buddhist culture originated from Pakistan. But the Hindu culture did not originate from Pakistan.

Where was Rigveda written? Anyway, General is not supposed to be correct about particulars.

Comment

And this is the guy who has the audacity to talk about India's treatment of its minorities -- just look at his views on Hindus -- so much for being Pakistan's Attaturk

The General has to go to America to meet Catholics and people of "other faiths" -- this is the situation of Pakistan....and he's spewing hate against Hindus who have a much better experience of interacting with people of different faiths than even him, never mind the average Pakistani. Pathetic !

[This message has been edited by BombayKid (edited October 24, 2000).]

Comment

he needs a lesson in anthropology geography and history . he just wantto survive by spewing anti-indian venom. that all the minimum qualification you need to be a leader
            in pakistan. remeber zulficar called indian as dogs in unitednation.

Comment

how many mughal(mongols) you see walking around in
              karachi islamabad. how many people speak arabic in pakistani cafes. they are trying to
              be what they are not

Comment

This guy is really funny.
                I would be scared if he is running my country
                How can he deny there is no commonality between Pakistanis and Indians.
                There are Punjabis and Sindhis on both sides of the border.
                And Mushraaf himself no doubt considers himself an Arab

Comment

who isnt ashamed of interacting with shoodar molesting hindutvas? what Musharraf said should hardly be a surprise.

>>>Our culture is absolute the opposite. They consider cows as their gods. We slaughter cows and eat them .<<<<

similar arguments can be made about prostitution, devdasi culture of hindus, caste system, worshipping nudity in stone age idols etc. If hindus are still so keen on mixing with ppl from the land of pure then someone needs to wake up and smell the coffee.

Comment

http://www.cnn.com/ASIANOW/time/asiabuzz/sd/2000/10/25/

The General has some pretty strange -- and dangerous -- notions

Do most Pakistani on this forum agree to what CE says and on his views?

[This message has been edited by mohabbat (edited October 25, 2000).]

Comment

Musharaf comes across as a racist biggot in this interview. Man, the morons we create by spending our blood and sweat money. I don't think that any sensible Hindu would like to marry his daughter (call it a case of association by guilt, but I am sure that his daughter (or any other person for that matter) is lot more tolerant and accepting of differing faiths. Such as idiot.

Comment

This interview is shocking when it comes from the top most authority of a country. The language used is so crude. I cant imagine any other President or PM of any other country broadcasting such views.

But one should respect as each person has his own opinion and one should respect it.

Comment

Three cheers for General Musharraf!!!

There is nothing that General Musharraf says that is not in Islam and against other faiths or people.

We are Muslim and Pakistani and very very proud of it - thats our history, our faith and our beliefs and if you Indians can't accept that then tough!

Musharraf Zindabad!

[This message has been edited by Malik73 (edited October 25, 2000).]

Comment

Remind General Musharraf that he had declared that Mohammad Ali Jinnah, Pakistan's founder (formal title: Quaid - I- Azam) was his political hero. The Quaid had declared in his speech to the Constituent Asembly of Pakistan on 11 August 1947 : "You are free; you are free to go to your temples, you are free to go to your mosques or to any other places of worship in this State of Pakistan. You may belong to any religion or caste or creed - that has nothing to do with the business of the state".

-

Comment

will someone kindly enlighten me as to HOW he comes across as a racist??
                              If you're talking about the "cow" comments...well, they're FACTS known by all of us. Why should anyone be ashamed of mentioning them??

Comment

Working...
                              X