666 JUSTICES A YEAR - WHY THEN PEOPLE GOING ABROAD FROM SINDH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

666 JUSTICES A YEAR - WHY THEN PEOPLE GOING ABROAD FROM SINDH

A news item datelined Karachi published today through Internews agency says Pakistani applicants last year spent US Dollar 5.76m on US visa fee. 80,000 applications were rejected. Non refundable fee is US$72/-. Weekly "Friday Times" September 8-14 stated an estimated 120,000 people fled Pakistan last one year. Columnist Zahida Hina in her article somewhat stated the same thing adding USA, Canada etc are accepting residence applications from those who have money and thus not merely manpower is draining out but "hard cash" was also going with them plus invisible more valuable wealth namely "brain drain". Qayyuam Nizami in Nawai-Waqat (17 Sep) says the batch of Pakistanis who have migrated to west during one year have not merely migrated only "self" but with all their money and families hence there should be no hope of receiving "remittances" from these Overseas Pakistanis.

A news item published datelined same Karachi (DAWN August 4) says Sindh Ombudsman delivered relief to 666 (out of 876) people during one year. Total number of complaints according to report received were 5582. I do not have exact figures of previous years number of complaints received and number of reliefs provided but even if I have become old but my memories in this old age guide me well that in previous years both these figures of complaints and reliefs were much more/many times more than of this year.

My tiny mind raises two questions but despite struggling but despite pressurising my mind even after taking 2 Panadol Extra I am unable to get myself answer viz:

a. If there are 666 justices/reliefs and less number of complaints this year compared to previous years it means situation in Sindh has much improved, there are now less injustices, less bureaucratic administrative wrongs, less corruption, less suffering of common man through hands of provincial servants, less bureaucratic red tapism etc then why people at least from Sindh were leaving Pakistan for USA and other countries? From 80,000 rejected applicants at least there must be 25,000 from Sindh. Why leaving a province where situation has much improved as the above figures show they wanted to fled. Where there is peace, true justice people do not leave their country. And these people are leaving for good.

b. As my tiny mind reads figures in Sindh Ombudsman Annual report are less (Thanks GOD) than previous years, repeating again then it means situation in Sindh in connection with corruption, mal administration, people sufferings etc had all improved then why did the Chief Executive suspended Sindh Assembly and Sindh Government. The assemblies were suspended that people's life was being made more worst and new government came to protect and welfare of people. But figures of sindh ombudsman suggest situation generally had improved from last year namely less acts of mal administration.

I know many of the my brothers and sisters will think what non sense this was reader was saying namely visa applications, ombudsman annual report which are two irrelevant things. But I know it is a food of thought for those who can understand what is point in it.

S.A.J
    [email protected]

17 September 2000

Working...
X