Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is it like to be a Hindu in Pakistan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is it like to be a Hindu in Pakistan?

http://server35.hypermart.net/thefridaytimes/news21.htm

Nearly 1.51 per cen of Pakistanis were Hindu. Before partition Hindus were 40 to 45% of population.

What is it like to be Hindu in Pakistan? A woman in my apartment building tells her driver to tell one of the other men in the compound not to stare when she walks by. Her driver reacts angrily, telling her "aap kahain to uss ka sur phar dain gay, wo vaisay bhi Hindu hai, koi kuch nahin kahay ga."

The number of Hindus in the coastal metropolis of Karachi lurks around 100,000. Some work in the municipal co-operations, untouchables condemned by caste (in some cases, circumstances) to clean up other people's mess. A lot of the names we catch while skimming a city page bite titled "Cleaners die after inhaling toxic fumes while cleaning sewer", are Hindu

Accomplished PTV actress Hafeez Fatima tells me while on a shoot in the predominantly Hindu area between Mithi and Nagaparker in Thar "Hindu kay ghar mein baithna, sona aur khana gunah hota hai."

I have read the article, and it is truely sad to see, but it is a logical thing due to all the animosity between pakistan and India.
    Also one point to make clear, some guy at the bottom of the text said why is there the need to have religion on the passport.
    Well the answer is that this is not a Pakistani thing.
    All passports have religion on them.
    You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Comment

>>Well the answer is that this is not a Pakistani thing.All passports have religion on them.

CM it definitely seems to be a Pakistani thing .
      Fortunately I have my own passport handy and it has neither my religion nor my caste.
      So me be it is required in Theocratic states like Pakistan.
      What do you want religion on passport for.
      To count how many Hindus are leaving Pakistan?

Comment

The jewish, arab, swiss, french, italien, Indonesian etc.
        All have religion on their passports.
        I do believe the US also has it.
        Accordingly most african states have it.
        As well as UN passports.
        There are for several reasons.
        In Swiss for asylum seekers.
        For the US to count the immigrant population.
        For the french to give former colonies and christain converts from french missionaries importance in entering france.
        That answer your question???

------------------
        CROIRE A L'INCROYABLE

Comment

>>I do believe the US also has it.
          I can verify this one too, seeing I am in US.
          But I seriously doubt it.
          I personally think it is obnoxious to ask anybody his religion. What next? To interfere in his religion ?
          AS for Europeans requiring it I am not surprised.Having done their looting of third world countries, they do not want the former slaves back.

Comment

Well could you check up about the american passports.
            i would like to know.
            But i know for sure , that all the arab, and African counrtries have them.
            And certain but not all European countries.

Comment

"...I have read the article, and it is truely sad to see, but it is a logical thing due to all the animosity between pakistan and India."

You find it "logical" if it happens in Pakistan with its 2.7% minorities (last count), but if such a thing happens in India with close to 20% minorities then our whole secularism is a joke !! Your problem is that most of you don't see a non-Muslim for almost all your life unlike an Indian who has had Muslim classmates/teachers/colleagues at work etc. Your country was made for one community and thats how it'll remain.

Comment

I never said secularism is a joke.
                India prides itself on being a multiethnic society which lives in harmony - which is not true at all.
                There are hate crimes all the time in India, its just that they don't come to the media or peoples attention.
                But like in the US which is a secularist state a hate or sect crime is something to be noted as it not a common occurance.
                I am not saying that this is common in Pakistan, but Since Pakistanis hate Hindus so much, like BigB and Dhir have said, why are you surprised.
                Wouldn't you expect this of us Pakistanis???
                Also 2.7% i though it was 1.7% could you provide the site for the stats|??
                As for your assesment of Pakistan as one society, it is spot on.

Comment

CM,

>>I am not saying that this is common in Pakistan, but Since Pakistanis hate Hindus so much, like BigB and Dhir have said, why are you surprised<<

It is surprising that you are trying to defend this kind of hatred and ill treatment by saying that is what is expected of Pakistanis, therefore nobody should be surprised.

Countries formed on basis of religion instead of being God fearing and tolerant (as one expect them to be) are intolerant and very discriminatory places to live in.

[This message has been edited by Rani (edited August 11, 2000).]

Comment

You put lack of education and intolerance.
                    add a hostile political climate and lack of accountability, and crap hits the fan.

We are wrong where we are wrong. Pakistan was not just formed for muslims, the founders pledged participation, protection and freedom of minorities. That one white block on the flag is a depiction of that commitment.

We have not honored the will of our founders in many ways, this one being another glaring example of it.

There is no justification of poor treatment of any group, underlying reasons/cause & effect yes... but no justifications.

I for one, have no problem accepting the deficiencies and issues as real, because only when a problem is recognized can anything be done to change that. Sad that many people.. Pakistanis or Otherwise cant be objective.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

CM,

I did not say Pakistanis hate Hindus, I said that Pakistanis hate Indians (big difference)!! Do not assume I am Hindu!!!

Comment

Fraudia,

>>Sad that many people.. Pakistanis or Otherwise cant be objective.<<

It good that you reconganized the problem but at the same time you turned around to point finger at others (to make this problem a joint problem), which took away from what you were trying to say.....very interesting.

Comment

Rani,

Fraudia didn't point the finger at others. If you read his message again it clearly shows that he's included Pakistanis in his accusation.

Comment

CM...
                            India does pride itself in being a multi-ethnic society. It does have the problems of a multi-ethnic society like the US. But you incorrectly pointed out that these points are not highlighted. Like the US we have a free press which keeps reporting any cases of injustice against minorities. You are free to read our newspapers and check this out. There are minority commissions, minority welfare banks (which give interest-free loans to minorities). Its not uncommon in Mumbai and other cities to hear evening prayers everyday on the loudspeakers in some mosque nearby. Even in Shiv Sena dominated areas !! Can you honestly and seriously tell me that Hindus can perform pooja/aarti on a loudspeaker everyday in a Muslim dominated area in Pakistan without harm ! If these things can also happen in Pakistan, and I'll admit my mistake of thinking that Pakistanis as a people are less secular than Indians.

Fraudia...
                            You're saying that Pakistan wasn't made for Muslims alone -- I believe most of your compatriots might disagree. I don't think Pakistan was meant for all of India's Muslims or there may not have been so many of them left in India. There is also hostility towards Indian Muslims. I can understand Pakistanis getting upset with Indian Muslims doing well for themselves in India. They've been labelled everything from "Hindu slaves" to "kafir" which I feel is extremely unfortunate. If you believe that you're a Muslim first and a Pakistani next then for you, a Muslim from some other country would be dearer than a fellow Pakistani Hindu or Christian. In this case how is Pakistan not meant for Muslims only. Also if a non-Muslim by law cannot become your Prime Minister (or is it CE ? ), then how can you expect anyone to believe that your nation is open to every community ?

[This message has been edited by BombayKid (edited August 11, 2000).]

Comment

Originally posted by Rani:

It good that you reconganized the problem but at the same time you turned around to point finger at others (to make this problem a joint problem), which took away from what you were trying to say.....very interesting.
                              Rani

No, the interesting fact is that I dont have the time to sit down and write names of other countries that have such problems. Just because it hit a nerve does not mean that it takes away from what I was saying.

I am certain if I would have said whether Pakistani or saudi.. instead of using the word "otherwise" to include other countries where I feel this problem exists then it would not have been..how do you put it..."very interesting"

on a side note all my words are very interesting. venture out to other forums once in a while

[This message has been edited by Fraudz (edited August 11, 2000).]
                              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Working...
                              X