X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally we are getting somewhere

President amends Act: Convicts can't hold party office

Bureau Report

ISLAMABAD, Aug 9: President Mohammad Rafiq Tarar on Wednesday amended Political Parties
    Act, providing that a convicted person or who is otherwise disqualified to be elected as a member of
    the parliament, will not be able to hold party office.

The amendments in the Political Parties Act will hit the heads of Pakistan People's Party and PML as
    both Ms Benazir Bhutto and Nawaz Sharif have been convicted by the accountability courts on the
    charges of corruption. Both have filed appeals against their convictions but the higher courts have not
    yet suspended the judgments of the trial courts.

"It is a step towards political purification," Law Minister Aziz A. Munshi said at a press conference
    here on Wednesday night. He further said that amendments in the Political Parties Act were made to
    regulate the political activities in the country, adding: "criminalization of the society cannot and will not
    be allowed."

He said that law was not violative of any fundamental rights and was in consonance with international
    norms. He told a questioner that in England, a convicted person loses even the right of vote.
    Answering a question when the law will come into operation, the minister said that government will
    take cognizance if the law was violated.

The law has provided that any person violating the new law would be liable to be punished with
    imprisonment up to three years and can be fined or both. The ordinance called the Political Parties
    (Amendment) Ordinance 2000, has come into force. Amending section 4, of Political Parties Act, the
    amended law has added a new proviso which reads as:

"Provided that person shall not be an office bearer of political party if he

- a) is disqualified from being elected or chosen as, and from being a member of Majlis-i-Shoora
    (Parliament) under Article 63 of the Constitution or under any law for the time being in force; or

ii) has been convicted of any criminal offence involving moral turpitude or offence under the
    Anti-Terrorism Act 1997 or offence involving public office order or morality and sentenced by a court
    of law to imprisonment for not less than two years, unless a period of five years elapsed since his
    release."

The amended law has also substituted section 7 with the following section:

"Any person who being disqualified to be an office bearer of a political party under this Act or who
    has been convicted of any criminal offence and sentenced by a court of law as mentioned in clause (ii)
    of proviso to sub-section (2) of section 4 of the Act as stated above, acts or hold himself out as office
    bearer of that party shall be guilty of an offence punishable with imprisonment for a term which may
    extend to three years, or with fine or with both.

2) Any person who, after the dissolution of a political party under section 6, holds himself out as a
    member or office bearer of that party, or acts for or otherwise associates himself with that party, shall
    be punishable with imprisonment for a term which may extend to three years, or with fine, or with
    both.

3) If any person who was an office bearer of a political party at the time of its dissolution under
    sub-section (2) of section 6 indulges or takes part in any political activity with seven years of its
    dissolution, he shall be punishable with imprisonment for a term which extend to three years or with
    fine or with both."

When asked the law was promulgated to remove Ms Benazir Bhutto and Nawaz Sharif from the
    political scene, the minister said that it was the assessment of the questioner and he was free to draw
    his conclusion. Law is very clear and there is no ambiguity in it, he added.

Good now we are moving towards getting the corrupt SOB'S out of power.
    My question is who else should or would be added to this list.
    And what will happen to the PPP and the PML with out their leaders.
    And no the CE is not in that list - for all the Indians.

------------------
    CROIRE A L'INCROYABLE
    You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Hey CM welcome back

>> My question is who else should or would be added to this list.<<

Every political and religious leader should be checked, before the elections. There should be enough time for the voters to understand the situation and to find another suitable leader that is if their leader ends up on the list. Everyone should be ’given a chance’ to come forward and face the nation – the ppl of Pak should have full access to every political leaders work record for building the nation, their assets before and after they joined politics, their income etc. Perhaps divided on smaller periods of time, say since last election. There should also be two-ways communication before the next elections, every citizen should be allowed to ask any question to any leader, either in person or anonymously.

>> And what will happen to the PPP and the PML with out their leaders.<<
    I think BB will still hold her position, as she got it in wirsa, but they should shut her up now. NS is a different story, ML is an old historic party, they’ll probably find someone else.

This is definitely a good move – now I hope they start teaching ppl how to question their leaders, how to judge them and to think in bigger perspective instead of who is better to my galli only.

Comment

Yes a good thing for Pakistan.
      I don't know if a person with rapsheet is eligible to get elected in India.I think so.
      Politicans on both sides of the border are corrupt.
      I think Indian politicians are more cunning at hiding their corruption and Pakistani ones seem to be more brazen.

By the way I heard Nawaz Sharif had his breakfast flown from Lahore to Islamabad in a chartered plane every day.A Lahori told me this.
      Is this true ?

Comment

Its good to be back Sahab Baji.
        Also where is my tag team partner Mailik???
        Anyway lets get to the topic at hand.
        Since i have been out of Pakistan for some time i wanted names of poeple in top positions who should be taken out.
        Like say Salim Mehdi for example or say the whole PPP top branch all 100 of them.
        Stuff like that.
        But this is a very good move and will keep a 90% of the pak political force in jail.
        What you say is good but you have lived in the west for a little to long.
        This won't be possible in pakistan for the next couple of decades.
        What we need is swift and transparent executions to keep the politicians under wraps.
        Every politican after Zia's time should be checked and any ounce of corruption should go for 5 years no less and barred from any political or government office.
        So he can't even be a janitoron the street for the government.
        BB should be in jail but the bloody english don't want to send her here as she has to much money invested in their bloody economy.

Also Andhra i would be surprised if that were true NS loves to eat, but he isn't such a stupid stuck snob to do that.
        You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Comment

Working...
        X