Think Domestic not Foreign...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Think Domestic not Foreign...

Its alomsot seven months since the day of deliverance from Nawaz Sharif ... and most people have tended to emphasise the foreign policy aspects of 12 October, BUT this government has in fact embarked on an impressive domestic program, whic includes the following:-

- Giving equal representation to all the 4 provinces, especially Balochistan. This has actually strenthened national cohesion and the federation.
    - Increased the represenation of women and minorities in the governace of the country i.e a Christian in his cabinet, and a Hindu in the Supreme court.
    - Promised a well-thought out plan for devolution of power from the federation to the provinces, and from the provinces to the district level.
    - extended the voting age to 18, thereby increasing the voter numbers by 10 million!
    - started the process of computersiation and documentation of the voter lists.
    - looking into voting reforms i.e new voting systems, compulsory voting and party elections... and abolition of dual electorate system (for minorities).
    - Announced a brave plan to improve Human rights.
    - set up an an anti-corruption bureau i.e NAB, which has already sent fomer Chief ministers of Punjab and NWFP to jail etc.
    - Bold economic steps such as documenting of the economy, GST and crackdown on smugglers etc...
    - Massive funds for poverty stricken area's, particularly Balochistan and interior Sindh.
    - Investigating Police Reforms like Metrpolitan police forces etc.
    - INCREASED FREEDOM FOR THE PRESS AND MEDIA INCLUDING PRIVATE T.V STATIONS PROMISED.

Some are only promises, some have been slow off the ground, BUT AT LEAST ITS A VERY GOOD START...

First of all is this an advice to the CE to think Domestic...or is it for us, in which case we are already been domesticated on such a level that we are like GT road in Lahore, every body runs on it and nobody cares about it. Kmalik
    let me just clear this...

[Qoute]- Giving equal representation to all the 4 provinces, especially Balochistan. This has actually strenthened national cohesion and the federation.

... Who is representing who and where, the chief Secretary of Blochistan representing the AC of Quetta and DC Ziyaret, and representing them where in CE's brefings where they can not utter a word...

[Qoute]Increased the represenation of women and minorities in the governace of the country i.e a Christian in his cabinet, and a Hindu in the Supreme court.

Ever read the 73 Constitution or the amendmends for Women and minority seats...there were two Christian Cabinet ministers(Federal) in the last 12 years, ever heard of Justice Durab Patel..

[Qoute] Promised a well-thought out plan for devolution of power from the federation to the provinces, and from the provinces to the district level.

The Well thought out plan is the same Ayub Khan used as basic Government, in the early 60's, I dont know why the military likes that plan so much.. My father was telling me that in 1961 the showed specially made films in schools to teach people "Bunyadi Jumhoriyat", and the slogan was that Iqbal'
    rhyme

Jis kheat say miyaser na ho dehcan ko roti...
    so do you think CE is going to do that..again

[Qoute]extended the voting age to 18, thereby increasing the voter numbers by 10 million!
    - started the process of computersiation and documentation of the voter lists.
    - looking into voting reforms i.e new voting systems, compulsory voting and party elections... and abolition of dual electorate system (for minorities).

All this is good, but is it based on the census the military helped in doing with the last gov and even the military didnt had the guts to publish it...

[Qoute]set up an an anti-corruption bureau i.e NAB, which has already sent fomer Chief ministers of Punjab and NWFP to jail etc.

This is great, punish all those corrupt people and specially those who didnt had any links with the military and the bureaucracy...remember Ch. Shujaet CO-OP scandel and just yesterday what went wrong with the fortification of assets for the accused PM....

the rest to follow...

[This message has been edited by Mini-Me (edited May 04, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Mini-Me (edited May 04, 2000).]

Comment

Mini-Me...

CE has picked 2 people from Balochistan to be in his cabinet (out of 12 in total) i.e Zubeida Jalal from Makran. He has allocated 150 million to help deprived area's in Balochistan. Overall his cabinet (and NSC) have a minority of members of Punjab, and the majority from the other 3 provinces - a vast change from the last 20 years or so.

The Local bodies plan is far better than Ayub's was ever - 50% representation for women, minority and peasants guaranteed representation. ALSO directly elected mayors, DC's and assemblies, thereby removing the power of the federal bureaucracy.

Plus Musharraf has actually moved to improve the lot of the minorities, rather than treat them as mere tokens (or lobby fodder) as previous governmts did..

The judiciary should be thoroughly cleansed of all corrupt elemets - the judges in Pakistan are a weird bunch, a mixture of pure legalists and pure corrupt..

[This message has been edited by kmailik (edited May 04, 2000).]

Comment

No, don't go wrong! Think and do both: internal and external.

------------------
        Sarfraz Khan

Comment

Working...
        X