Pakistan court says may rule on Sharif on April 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pakistan court says may rule on Sharif on April 6

A Pakistani Anti-Terrorism Court trying ousted prime minister Nawaz Sharif in a case in which he faces a possible death sentence said it might announce a decision on April 6.

"Inshallah (God willing) I will try to announce the judgment on April 6," judge Rehmat Hussain Jafri said after the lawyers defending Sharif, his brother Shahbaz and five others, concluded their final arguments.

Sharif and others are accused by the prosecution of attempted murder, kidnapping, terrorism and hijacking - a charge that carries a maximum sentence of death.

The charges stem from October 12 when a civilian plane carrying army chief General Pervez Musharraf and 197 passengers was briefly denied landing permission at Karachi airport.

The prosecution alleges that Sharif, who was not on the plane, gave orders to deny landing rights to the aircraft. The plane landed after military authorities seized the airport, and several hours later Musharraf overthrew Sharif.

Prosecutors have called for the maximum penalty of death for hijacking while the defence has pleaded acquittal.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could the decision could lead to another bout of instability in Pakistan? Hope not.

A bit quite today isn't it??

No I do not think that Nawaz Sharif's conviction (inshallah!) will lead to instability, because the PML (and especially the Sharif family) have no support left in Pakistan. The events of 12 October are proof of that - not even people in Lahore came out to protest - and not even in the last six months.

Musharraf's government has been quite light on him - they have given him a fair trial, media coverage, and not tortured him or mistreated him - which is much more than ZAB got. They could have done much worse to him, and the fact they have not does not mean he is not as bad as people say, BUT because Musharraf is not a vindictive and cold person like Zia was.

Comment

>>Musharraf's government has been quite light on him - they have given him a fair trial, media coverage, and not tortured him or mistreated him<<

Shhhhh.........
      Don't tell this to anybody!!!!!!!!!!!

Why, offcourse the military regime is being very fair to Sharif. They have sacked him in a perfectly legal way. It's an integral (though unwritten) part of every democratic constitution that 'if the army chief doesn't like the government elected by people, then he can overthrow it at any time giving any reasons he wants to give.'
      Numerous democratic governments in India, US, UK, & other countries have been overthrown by the army in last few dwcades.
      So, it's perfectly legal.

Plus, Musharraf is giving him a fair trial which is not guaranteed in democracy. Oh, my dear! He is so chivalrous! He is next to God himself!!!!

Comment

Don't worry, he will not be hanged. He is not another ZA Bhutto, who an out standing politician in the history of sub-continent, was dumb enough to differentiate between foe and frieds.

Uncle Sam has also told self-style CE, he has no authority to hang him. God bless Uncles Sam.

FARID

Comment

Well, ZAB's daughter is also making clemency appeals. A case of a thief supporting a thief.

Comment

I think the biggest thief is the one who has stolen the whole nation from a democratic rule!!

Comment

Well is he the thief or the ones who hijacked the whole nation and its wealth in the name of democracy? I would rather have the current dictators than the so called democrats which were there.

Comment

Oh!

------------------
                Atif Khan

Comment

I can kind of understand Pakistanis being mad at Nawaz. The guy should definitely be tried but can't you see that he's being tried for the wrong reasons. If he was being tried for corruption, one would understand; but this hijacking thing, you got to admit, is a big joke !!
                  I think most Pakistanis are upset at him because of the Kargil withdrawal and what most think is a betrayal to the Kashmir cause. I don't see what other realistic choice he had other than back off !! What would Musharraf have done in his position -- continued the conflict ??!! I don't think so.

[This message has been edited by BombayKid (edited April 04, 2000).]

Comment

Bombay Kid you are probably right but Kargil was not the only factor. Corruption was the biggest factor and as far as Kargil goes if he had carried out the "withdrawal" without going to Washington and sucking upto Clinton than maybe the people might have have accepted it. The humiliation he brought on the nation by going to States is what cannot be forgiven? What was to stop him to carry out a quiet "withdrawal". He just wanted to please uncle Sam in order to get their support in time of personal crisis. Well he failed miserably on all accounts.

Comment

Ehsan,
                      You may be right. But still, in a democratic nation, the corrupt ruler is not brought down like that. Plus, you'll agree that the trial he is facing now is not in the least a fair one! And he can't get it under a military regime.

Comment

Elegancia what democracy, does attacking the supreme court count as a democratic action, does removing all obstacles for the change of a government by democratic means sounds like an action of a person who believes in democracy. He brought it upon himself, arrogance always leads to the perpetrator eating a humble pie. Also how do you conclude that he is not being given a fair trial. Do you have any direct evidence. If so, let's read about it here. I don't support dictatorships but I detest wolves in sheep's clothing even more.

[This message has been edited by ehsan (edited April 04, 2000).]

Comment

I agree with brother Ehsan again. If democracy in Pakistan was so good then why did the following happen:-

1)PML gets 2/3 majority with only a 28% turnout!

2) Presidency reduced to a talking shop.

3) Parliament muzzled according to 14th ammendment - no free speeh in parliament - SOME DEMOCRACY!!

4) Supreme Court invaded/Chief Justice removed - the second worst national shame in recent years after the withdrawal from Kargil.

5) Printed Press pressured and threatened.

6) Federal rule appointed in Sindh - thereby denying the democratic of others to govern the province.

7) Military courts in Sindh.

8) Parallel judiciary established i.e the specail anti-terrorist courts.

9) One-sided and vindictive accountability process carried out.

10) Fedearation brought close to collapse.

I THINK THIS SOUNDS MORE LIKE DICATATORSHIP THAN A DEMOCRACY - TO HELL WITH IT !

LONG LIVE MUSHARRAF AND FREE PAKISTAN!!

Comment

I agree with brother Ehsan again. If democracy in Pakistan was so good then why did the following happen:-

1)PML gets 2/3 majority with only a 28% turnout!
                            2) Presidency reduced to a talking shop.
                            3) Parliament muzzled according to 14th ammendment - no free speeh in parliament - SOME DEMOCRACY!!
                            4) Supreme Court invaded/Chief Justice removed - the second worst national shame in recent years after the withdrawal from Kargil.
                            5) Printed Press pressured and threatened.
                            6) Federal rule appointed in Sindh - thereby denying the democratic of others to govern the province.
                            7) Military courts in Sindh.
                            8) Parallel judiciary established i.e the specail anti-terrorist courts.
                            9) One-sided and vindictive accountability process carried out.
                            10) Federation brought close to collapse.

I THINK THIS SOUNDS MORE LIKE DICATATORSHIP THAN A DEMOCRACY - TO HELL WITH IT !

LONG LIVE MUSHARRAF AND FREE PAKISTAN!!

Comment

The News Website has an interesting caption. It says "April 6- Does the bell toll for Nawaz Sharif".

Thats a good one, actually

The verdict is out tomorrow and it looks as if he'll be found guilty. Then again - thats just my opinion. In the caser that he is found guilty, there wont be major protests in Pakistan because the people have no sympathy for Sharif, and BomBaykid - regardless of whether Kargil took place or not - the people would feel the same way.

However, you will probably see a handful of Sharif chamchas who benefited from his missrule try and cause a disturbance but they'll be taken care of by the law enforcement agencies.

Whether Sharif swings from the gallows or not remains to be seen. However - whatever punishment he gets - he richly deserves.

------------------

Laterz,
                              ManiaX.

Comment

Working...
                              X