Clinton fails to impress Pakistani public

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clinton fails to impress Pakistani public

In Pakistan there was a marked contrast in attitude to the visit of political joke Bill Clinton as compared to the fawning joy of the Indians. There was no crowds gathered to catch a glimpse of the doltish figurehead of the world's greatest economy, no ceremonies and no oily lavishing of praise by the media for the Clinton.

In my opinion we should have refused to let his plane land in Pakistan. The speeches by Clinton and Allbright since the visit have simply re-inforced the view that Americans are concerned only about the bottom dollar and as India's growing middle class, with their americanised youth will provide a lucrative market for American goods it is only to be expected that America will overlook any Indian designs for the region. In fact, despite being a so-called ally in 1965, the American sponsored UN forced Pakistan to give up large parts of Kashmir which it had won on the battlefield. Similar thing happened in Kargil recently, where spectacular successes by the mujahideen were undermined by US pressure on Nawaz to back down from their new partners in crime, India.

Now it is up to the leaders of Pakistan to show that they have learned from the past that boot-licking is a pointless excercise. America and India have their own concerns to look out for. We should concentrate on ours and stop looking for the US/UN to solve our disputes. Leave it to the jihadis who are more than ready and willing to negotiate with the Indians over the return of Kashmir.

The best part of Clinton's visit was the deserted streets as nobody bothered to turn out to greet him. The deserted streets were not the result of increased security.

Comment

I am sure Clinton will be soooo sorry to know that.

Comment

HmmmÖHis visit was such a waste, we knew that he can not and will not do anything to resolve the Kashmir dispute, so nothing surprising in that Ė however Iím a bit íirritatedí over that we didnít even talk about lifting the damn sanctions. We would not get any business that I knew but no one would talk about the sanctions either that I didnít expect.

Anyway, CEís position is more secure after this, as he didnít bow, and was pretty honest at the press conference held after the show. This opens new challenges for us lets see if we can meet them.

As for Kashmir dispute, itís a shame that there were no results at all, India and Pak should talk that he could tell us on phone too, bewakoof. The situation will only get worse now.

Comment

i think we are going over the board in putting down that pimp clinton.

If we look with a realistic approach, pimp clinton was here for 5 a hr stopover, not on a state visit. Second, his purpose to stop by was to shove a boot in musharaf's a$$ & to grab him by neck and warn him to back down from "infiltraion, terrorism and respect of LoC" and thats exactly he did in the face of people of Pakistan and we listened to that pimp on our national TV dictating us to respect LoC.

The pimp wasn't here for a thumping cheers from crowd, rose petal showers, photo session or site seeing stuff. It would have been lot better if musharaf had shown ass to his stop over but then its too much asking from someone sitting in Islamabad....it requires two things: guts & balls....both missing in the picture!

I still feel a tinge of bitterness about that whole Aimal Kansi episode, carried out under the auspices of Pak. Army

[This message has been edited by KK (edited March 28, 2000).]

Comment

By the end of fiscal year you will need Clinton again to bail you out.

Comment

Aimal Kansi and Ramzi Yousuf were handed over to the US by the previous stooge govts in power at the time. Surely by now it is clear that selling out your patriot citizens for a few dollars more doesn't get you very far in terms of world status, and in fact, gives the wrong signals that the political establishment is up for sale.

ZZ says

By the end of fiscal year you will need Clinton again to bail you out.
              If the new hero of India bails us out it will be because those in power are colluding with US policy and it will only be on US terms as American foreign policy is not run as a charity, but as a business. You can take it as read that the average Pakistani individual holds the Clinton in utter contempt - witness the complete lack of interest shown by the public for his visit.

It is a bit more difficult for those in Power to resist the bullying tactics of Uncle Sam though, b/c America has a very aggressive/imperialist foreign policy and it takes both brains and resolution to see that it is not carried out at the expense of your own nation. Time will tell if Musharraf and co can stand firm or not.

Comment

Ramzi Yousef was a Pakistani Citizen?
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Does Clinton care what an average Pakistani or Indian or Ethopean or whatever third world citizen think of him? He does not seem to even care what Japanese think of him.
                  What does America need Pakistan for? Now they are mending fences with Iran. So geostrategic or whatever significance of Pak is further reduced. Iran could afford enemity with US being oil-rich. In fact, in the end they are keen to break the impasse.
                  For the release of a few million more US can get done all dirty job necessary from Pakistani rulers.
                  Now the begging bowl has turned eastward. Musharraf is touring Malaysia, Indonesia and so on. Remains to be seen what he brings back.
                  He has made a much needed wake up call. If u think u can take on the world with no friends except ur buddies in Afghanistan, good luck.

Comment

The other day Gen. Mirza Beg said that Pakistan should forget about old friends like the US and build bridges with countries like Afghanistan and Iran. Now I don't know whether the General was serious or not but ignoring the US and strengthening ties with the Taliban is hardly what Pakistan need right now. But only Pakistanis can decide what course is best for their nation. One thing needs to be pointed out though. If we look at the Afghan economy today, it makes Pakistan look like an economic powerhouse !! That nation (???) is in a serious mess !!

Comment

that old horse Beg needs to shut up now or join a circus. enuf of this "Strategic alliance with Iran & Afghanistan" daydreamings.... not even his wife would give a damn to watever he spits out these days.

Comment

Pakistan is no longer needed in the Cold War struggle, and its undemocratic, near-dysfunctional state has become an embarrassment. India, on the other hand, with its great size, its democratic institutions, and, perhaps more important, its new industrial strength in computer sciences, is beginning to loom large in Washington and in board rooms across America.

Indians are smart. They have understood the message behind Clinton's visit, even though he did not articulate it directly, proving the old adage that nations don't have friends, only interests.

Comment

It is too soon to say if the Indians are smart.

Engaging Americans needs thinking of long term goals and trying to accomdate keeping proper distance. Doing that, u can prosper as China did. If you don't u become Iraq or Pakistan.

Wisdom is in short supply on our side of border too.

[This message has been edited by ZZ (edited March 28, 2000).]

Comment

I dont know if I would say Clinton failed to impress pakistani public....But I would agree that most of Pakistanis were not impressed....
                            It can be the lack of paki ability to see the plain truth....
                            I , for myself thought , his adress was to the point, and reflective of American Policy...(which was the whole point)
                            ZZ,
                            Do you realize that your constant sarcasm, doesnt allow anyone to see the wisdom of your thoughts..If the purpose of your posts is to share your views, it gets lost cause ppl respond to the mood of your writings, not the content, If on the other hand you write to expresss your resentment with Pakistanis, and want a rise out of them , Your purpose is weell served.....I must add , though , in case of latter , we arent making full use of each other..

Comment

Hmmmmmmmm I see. LOL

------------------
                              Atif Khan

Comment

Working...
                              X