Clinton to visit Pakistan for few hours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clinton to visit Pakistan for few hours

Finally president Clinton has agreed to visit Pakistan for few hours. This is a clear victory for various Pakistani politicians including CE Mr. Parvez Musharraf and other lobbyists who have been persuading White House staff and President Clinton to visit Pakistan.

This is more like a Ghas’sa than a real visit.

Comment

This announcement was expected. Has this been announced officially?

Comment

Not yet. But there are chances that Air Force One would stop for a refuel in Pakistan for few hours. Musharaff would bring the KASHMIR issue before Clinton.

Comment

Now what will happen to those voices who were saying that CLinton is but a lame duck President and a visit or no visit does not matter and we don't need a visit, etc. Why were they lobbying so hard? Difficult to understand, but then Pakistan has record of double speak.

Comment

Thats what I love about the illusion of democracy......

Do I go there, or do I not ?

I mean we took money from both sides to run and win the election, but we want to make more money.

Dehli means more money, Islamabad means containment,

Worse in OUR free and fair system OTH LOBBYISTS have been lining my pockets ,

what do I do ?

I know, let make stops according to teh dollar value of How much we can LOOT OUT from teh two countries.

So, thats a few hours for Islamabad and some days for Dehli.

Thats right, after all, its capitalism, its MONEY.

;0

By the way if that offends any true believer in the democratic principles and NON-MONEY innitiatives of teh WORLD ORDER, I am sorry, but to me its humuorous.

Comment

I don’t know who gets money from whom, but this is a lugubrious way of looking at things. He recently went to Africa as well, where the Total National Product of all the countries is equivalent to the first few seconds of trade at the NYSE (on an average day).

The reason he is reluctant to go there is because it might send signals to others “to be” dictators that USA does not object to such forms of governance. And also he is the “elected representative” of his people, and not some self appointed desperado. He has to answer to the people who employ him.

Pakistan should not cry foul if he doesn’t stop over. If Pakistan is so eager to have US President come and discuss ways to close ranks and look for peace, Musharraf should think about visiting Israel on a State Visit. I am sure Israelis will welcome any friendly Gesture by any “Muslim” nation, regardless of the dictatorial regimes in those nations. Musharaf should invite Barak over as well.

Comment

Come on........

I am sure that the US has absolutely no money to make in the African Continent especially when they are involved in a civil war (well it involves 5 countries now) in which M16s are being shot at the use of American supplied helicopters and armed personnel carriers is coming to a great annoyance on part of the Presidency and the NSA.

I mean America never made any efforts to try and sell their military hardware to a traditionally dassault (French) theatre did they ?

Guys, there is money to be made in India. That is all that matters.

Now the question is how do we treat Pakistan with rubber gloves in order to make sure the dwindling reliance of that country on US based hardware is not compromised ?

By the way, nice touch with the wall street remark. I guess apart from certain BIG nations the rest would qualify that test too. (Pakistan included, I wonder why the Indians make a big do about Pakistan being Western backed?)

Comment

Mr. Ahmadi !!!

One of your previous posts tells you come from a political school.... you're expected to have a good understanding of FORIEGN POLICIES..... and off course the image that a country has to maintain regarding that policy. Pakistan is not supposed to make friends with any who present a threat to peace in the reigon , believe in expanding not respecting the boundries set by law ,takes part in terrorist activities in the country and Lines up with the most dangerous enemies of all times against Pakistan ,not to mention the obligatory role of standing for an oppressed Muslim country on international grounds... So ISRAEL IS SIMPLY OUT OF QUESTION. None of the Pakistani Govt:s in history has believed in compromising on these issues. They stand for what they believe in!! Just like Clinton is not supposed to visit Pakistan for the fear of Damaging the Image of the country..... as is mentioned above........
                  Though the funny thing is that His visit was not to be finallised till there was a reassurance on the highest levels that his dear life would not be endagered... If he is really going there for all those precious minutes... I don't think he'd step out of AIR FORCE ONE... just in case some Taliban mujahid might be hanging around lusting for his dear life....!!!

But seriously.....
                  America has played an important role in making peace all over the world, believing in democracy and establishing the image of the white dove!! So No matter what , pakistan is supposed to make it an opportunity to bring the issue of Kashmir under discussion so that peace can be made in the region without any more bloodshed. It is important for what Pakistan stands for!!

It might all end up in smoke or as Afridi believes ............. be for MONEY but it is important that Clinton visits Pakistan and the matter is actually discussed on that level. What do you know it just might be the beginning of a peace process like in many other parts of the world.
                  That's why it is so important for Pakistan!!!

Comment

CELIA W. DUGGER- New York Times

PESHAWAR, Pakistan, March 2 -- At the end of a rutted dirt
                    road and through a metal gate lies the rundown local lair of an
                    Islamic fundamentalist group of holy warriors that the State Department
                    has classified as a terrorist outfit.

From this grubby stucco house, young bearded men say they have
                    ventured into Kashmir to battle Indian rule of part of that
                    majority-Muslim territory.

They boast that their volunteers have taken part in bold and violent raids
                    on Indian outposts in Kashmir. The raids are contributing to the
                    increasingly poisonous relations between India and Pakistan, both
                    nuclear-armed.

"For 40 days' military training and three months of guerrilla training,
                    contact Harakat ul-Mujahedeen, Peshawar," said a banner in Urdu that
                    recently fluttered above a table loaded with the group's literature on a
                    street here.

But American officials, citing intelligence reports, charge that Harakat
                    ul-Mujahedeen, or the Fighters Movement, does more than wage jihad,
                    or holy war, against India. They say it was behind the kidnapping of
                    Western tourists -- and the beheading of one -- in 1995 as well as the
                    recent hijacking of an Indian Airlines plane.

American diplomats have been urging the military government that took
                    control of Pakistan in a coup on Oct. 12 to crack down on the group.
                    Pressure intensified after the hijackers of the Indian Airlines plane
                    demanded and won the release on Dec. 31 of a Muslim cleric who had
                    been one of the group's spiritual leaders.

The cleric, Maulana Masood Azhar, returned to Pakistan after he was
                    freed from an Indian jail and immediately began speaking out against
                    India and the United States.

After Mr. Azhar appeared at rallies for several weeks surrounded by
                    heavily armed men, he was arrested by the Pakistani government. But the
                    government has taken no action against Harakat itself, saying it has no
                    evidence of the group's involvement in terrorist acts.

"We were concerned when this fellow, Masood Azhar, made wild
                    statements calling for the destruction of India and the United States, but
                    this is not the policy of a group," said Pakistan's foreign minister, Abdul
                    Sattar. "We don't have enough proof to ban this group."

Western diplomats in Islamabad say they doubt that a lack of evidence is
                    what is deterring Pakistan's military rulers from clamping down. Rather,
                    the diplomats assert, the government's reluctance stems from the fact that
                    these so-called jihad groups are the cat's paw that the Pakistani military
                    finances and uses to bleed India in Kashmir.

"They are instruments of Pakistan's foreign policy," said one Western
                    diplomat. "They are the cards Pakistan brings to the table with India.
                    Without them the Pakistanis have no leverage. So they see supporting
                    these organizations as indispensable to the most important foreign policy
                    issue in Pakistan."

Whether unable or unwilling to ban Harakat ul-Mujahedeen, Pakistan's
                    military rulers have apparently instructed those true believers to cool their
                    public statements and keep their talk of holy war directed at India -- not
                    the United States.

"We are trying to calm down these groups within the limits of the law,"
                    Foreign Minister Sattar said.

The young men at the Harakat ul-Mujahedeen headquarters here in
                    Peshawar hewed carefully to the group's line of thinking, which echoes
                    that of Gen. Pervez Musharraf, Pakistan's military ruler: groups waging
                    holy war are acceptable, but terrorism is not.

The chief of the Mardan district, which borders Peshawar here in
                    North-West Frontier Province, who goes by the single name Abdullah,
                    insisted that Mr. Azhar was no longer a member of the group and that the
                    group had no interest in a jihad against the United States, only against
                    India.

"We have no fight with Westerners," he said. "There are so many of them
                    wandering around Pakistan. We never kidnap or kill them. Our fight is
                    with India."

Abdullah, 28, a farmer's son, said his beliefs would not allow him to
                    speak directly to a female reporter, so the interview was conducted
                    through a male translator.

The walls of the bedroom where the interview took place were
                    illuminated by a single bare fluorescent bulb and decked with posters of
                    assault rifles and pointy-nosed fighter jets, as well as a cracked, chipped
                    full-length mirror that the young militants presumably use to check the tilt
                    of their woolen caps.

The translator sat in the doorway, and Abdullah sat on a veranda just
                    outside the room, with the door pulled so he was out of sight.

He distanced the group from Mr. Azhar and deferred to the government
                    on the question of why the cleric had been arrested. He denied that the
                    group received any material or operational support from Inter-Services
                    Intelligence, an arm of the military.

"We don't even know what I.S.I. stands for," he said.

And he said he was mystified as to why the Americans considered
                    Harakat ul-Mujahedeen a terrorist group.

"We sometimes wonder why the United States has taken us as their
                    enemy," he said. "We have no reach to do anything in the United States. I
                    see no reason why it should fear us."

Comment

Working...
                    X