Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reformist dream of a Muslim Federation.

Iran's quest towards a Muslim Federation:

It is quite unusual that the wind of change that is sweeping Iran brings with it a very odd phenomenon.
    Though the 1979 revolution based its principals on Islam and the unity of the ummah against the trials and masters of the world, it seldomn lived up to its prescribed route. On teh contrary, it instigated a struggle between theocratic and non theocratic aspects of Islam.
    Due to their imposition and adherence to shi'te principles they found it very hard to show acceptance of the standings of other secterial entities. This created a rift and eventual struggle between themselves and the sunni dominant muslim world.
    Iran itself is a very important and influential candidate amongst the muslim world. Its heritage and geo-physical stature demands that it is treated with the utmost care and firm allignement. However, the extreme stance used by the revolutionaries made it almost impossible to include them into the main stream.

Now, the world becons at the landslides that the eformists are experiencing in ballots all ove the civic regions. However, this is exactly the opportunity that the rest of the muslim countries were looking for. A moderate stance and an acceptance of the "agree to disagree" principle widely prevailent in the Saffavid times.

A draft resolution was presented by the present Iranian president to the OIC's memorandum committee last year. This created a storm within the Theocratic elite in Ian.

The proposals were far reaching in CONCEPT if not in principle:

An acceptance of a no border policy between the states of Pakistan, Afghanistan and Iran, with an amalgamation of the naval frontiers of the above mentioned countries and Saudi and Oman.

There were also an expanse of decrees regarding the internal and inter-state political infrastructure. Ineffect, creating a federated muslim state (along the lines of the European Union) consisting of the mentioned muslim states.

The draft was accepted and upheld by the state of Oman and has been under consideration by Pakistan and surprisingly Saudi Arabia too. A few months later, Pakistan and Iran stareted the dialougues relating to the current situation in Afghanistan with both sides agreeing to radical compromises on their positions and then the Saudi Crown princes marked acceptance of both the Pakistani and Iranian first secretaries in Riyadh.
    The wheels are in motion. Pakistan and Iran have already agreed to withdraw all trade duties and inter state border posts and are working upon the proposed pipeline plans of the trans-Oxus states.
    It must also be considered that the countries have also included Beijing intheir armada of Tours, what brews there, no one knows.

One thing is for certain, now that there is no parliment to oppose these reformist movements, Iran's impetus for an amalgamation will take further momentum.

We might wittness the first effort to geo-politicallty unite the region.

Lets see how it is done, and if it is done ??????????????????/

It seems that the reluctance of the Orthodox revolutionaries of Iran is being turned around by a reformist elite that believe in Iran's existance as a leading partner in muslim affairs and not a idealistic unilateral leader that the Revolutionaries tried invain to create in the past 20 years.

removing or reducing duties is happening all over the region so that is no big deal.

geo-political unification.. well.. let a few thousand Pakistanis or Afghans go and start flooding the big cities in Iran or Saudi with cheap labor and the direction will vanish.

if it is just free transport of goods and not people, nothing much is gained by Pak, nothing is lost either, cuz pak imports almost everything.

question of shia minorities treatment by taliban need to be sorted before taliban get in the game.

Comment

I think you are trying to pass an opinion but not looking at the issue..... maybe I am wrong in assessing your reply that way, but it seems you have decided and then tried to justify .....

May I ask why ?

Anyway, as for the import status of Pakistan is concerned, if you check the figures published by the countries party to teh draft, Pakistan only has a negative balance with Saudi Arabia (due to heavily subsidised and deffered crude shipments).
      With respect to the other countries Pakistan actually has a trade surplus (the largest surplus is with Iran). That negates your argument about teh trade practices.

Next is the question of labour. I suppose you mean that Iran is not actually dealing with the problem at the moment.
      I think you are fairly mistaken in this respect.
      Lets take it slowly, for those of us who believe that Afghanistan is a Pukhto/Pushto speaking country should try to realise that Afghanistan's majority speaks Dari, a dialect more kin to persian then to pukhto.

Iran actually has a greater and more diverse afghan refugee population then Afghanistan. Though there have been social overtures from this mass migration, but Iran has managed to deal with it at a regional level and has actually dealt with it a lot better than Pakistan innitially did.

As for Saudia, well there is already a sizeable Pakistani and afghan contingent. The afghans have been progressively increasing since the Russian withdrawl. Saudia seems to be encouraging this, not putting a stop to it.

The real problem in the matter was that the Iranians had a very hardened stance on secterian tolerance. This in effect created a backlash in the arab countries. However, the Saudi tilt towards improving relations in the late 90s, starting with the crown price's invitation and visit, thawed much of the diplomatic freeze and the increasing step by step firmness in the relations over teh past four years in particular have rewritten political balances in the region.

Unless, you have been unaware of the recent moves by the taliban, you would have to agree that there has been a show of tolerance and restraint on their part with respect to the minority shia's. However, a lot more improvement is required before both countries can eliviate the closetory fears that they have against eachother's leaders.
      Unlike the other objections, this one is something that has merit and is being tackled.

Though I must have to point out that the majority of geo unions have almost always had a considereable NATIONAL PREJUDICE to cater for. Europe came across heavy contra-productive rivalry between the "Outer Europe" ring of nations. Britain (I should say England, really) still is a half hearted and uneasy member of a union that is getting fed up of its trailing feet.
      So, prejudicial problems exists. Both India and Russia have problems that are far worse than most other unions. Russia is having to contend with prereferal movements of autonomy and have decide to quell them Sardar Patel style. Brutal but effective.
      However, these are problems that autonomous unions do not have. imposition of a union results in these steps of desperation.

Anyway, it was nice to have heard your objections....... I hope I have helped invisaged a desire to reasearch and then opinionate......

Take care

Khudai pa amaan
      Saeed Afridi

Comment

ZZ,

So, I guess you have no other INTERESTING OBJECTIONS to throw at me.

Hmmm, disappointing.

Comment

OIC officially drafts the document of intent on the 5th of March. Objection from the UN representative to the OIC.

See the OIC site for releases.

Comment

A very positive post by Saeedafridi. You will be a big miss when you leave.

Comment

Working...
            X