Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey follows Clinton's steps

Turkish PM turns down visit to Pakistan: source
    Turkish Prime Minister Bulent Ecevit has turned down an offer to visit military-ruled Pakistan before or after he travels to India in the upcoming weeks, a source close to Ecevit tolf AFP Friday.

"The prime minister said it would not be convenient to include Pakistan into the schedule for his trip," said the source, who added that the Pakistani embassy in Ankara had approached Turkish officials on the issue.

Ecevit is scheduled to visit India March 30 to April 2, he added. Pakistan has been pushing him to visit Pakistan along with India.

Following the coup in Pakistan last October, Turkey urged the military leadership to return to democracy as soon as possible.

Ecevit and President Suleyman Demirel conveyed the same message to Pakistani strongman General Pervez Musharraf when he visited Ankara in early November to "explain the reasons" behind the coup.

Turkey has friendly relations with both Pakistan and India, who are bitterly at odds over the Kashmir dispute.

My Pakistani friends will not agree because the news is coming from ZEE and DD.

Comment

It is in 'Dawn' also.

Comment

no wonder turkey has had so many earthquakes.it's a sign that they`re all heading for hell.

Comment

Then countries like Egypt, Morrocco, Indonesia and Malaysia should also go to hell. Indonedian President Abdul Rehman Wahid also snubbed Pakistan and visited only India so did Morroccon premier. In the India-Pakistan war Egypt openly supported India. Afghanistan opposed the existence of Pakistan in 1947 and was the only country who vehemently fought the existence of Pakistan and questioned it's approval in UN. Afghanistan considered Punjab and Sindh provinces part of India and NWFP part of Afghanistan.

Nigeria, Ethiopia, Oman have better relations and more business dealings with India than Pakistan. So should they be struck by earthquakes to?

Comment

Mohabbat the reason these head of states are not visiting Pakistan is due to the existence of a military government. They are trying to put pressure on this government ot hold elections. You however are trying to paint a different picture of these leaders not wishing to visit Pakistan because of their immense love of India. You couldn't be more wrong.

Comment

nope.. who is saying that clinton has any love for india. he is supposed to guard american interests. and as long as army remains gead and indian interests coincide with american or turkish or indoneian or whatever interests, we are happy.

indonesia president may have some love for india. musharraf talked of kemal pasha when he came to power and immediately shut up under fundo pressure. Wahid talked of Gandhi.

Comment

No one has any love for either India or Pakistan. Do you think Turkey or Iran or Egypt has any love for Pakistan just because they are Muslim countries. Business and economics play more important role. That's why India and Pakistan should increase their business and economic ties and not wait for Kashmir to get resolved. Do you think Pakistan is interested in Kashmiris and their human rights. They are more interested in the Land. If they were interested in Muslims they would have brought back the Biharis from Bangladesh, helped the Muslims from China who are being abused bu communist China (Xinjiang province).

Pakistan is trying to plat the Islamic card to get sympathy for OIC members and that is not working. In the last OIC meeting there was a proposal to bring India to join OIC , being the second largest Muslim populated country. But Pakistan vehemently opposed and it was dropped from agenda.

Comment

Ehsan:
                  I was responding to Sherlock's remark of Turkey having earthquakes

Comment

those countries that you mentioned have never had a close relationship with Pakistan.
                    We've never seen eye to eye with any of those countries,particularly egypt.turkey was
                    supposed to be one of our so-called -friends'.thats why i made that remark.
                    as far as nigeria etc goes..do you think we could care if the nigerians visit us or not?please!they have enough problems of their own.

Comment

as far as turkey is considered we shouldn't forget wats goin on in there. wat the turkish army is trying to do over there.
                      i was amazed to learn from my turkish friend about different things which the goverment ois trying to enforce.
                      a couple of them r . the goverment doesn't allow the ppl to for juma prayers it means if u r working in a goverment office there is no break for juma prayers.
                      females r not allowed to cover their heads according to Islam. Madrasas (religious) r ban in turkey.
                      religious political partys r ban when ever such a party wins the election the army quickly takes over the goverment.
                      if u r inthe army u r not allowed to go to mosque.
                      with all these things goin on in the country then i think such a country cann't be called a muslim country and this is not my opinion but my turkish friends who was born and raised in dat country.
                      as far as other countries like nigeria, eithopia and egypt etc r concern i think we shouldn't be concern wat their goverment is doin its the ppl who makes the difference.
                      although pakistan army participated in gulf war but i haven't met one pakistani who was in favor of dat.
                      afghanistan . we shouldn't forget dat at dat time it rule by a shah and i think al of us have heard enough stories about him and wat happen to him.

china o arab hamara hindustan hamara
                      muslim hain hum watan hay sara jahan hamara

[This message has been edited by nick (edited March 05, 2000).]

Comment

This thread is as baseless as an Indian attempt to portray Pakistan as a rogue state.
                        Ecevit and Demiral ,both ,have visited Pakistan in the past. Turkey helped Pakistan overhaul its fleet of F16s when United States didn't. Turkish firm is constructing a super highway in Pakistan between Islamabad and Peshawar, project worth billions of dollars. Turkey also transferred some of the technology involved in the assembly of APCs( armoured personnel carriers) to Pakistan.
                        People of Pakistan and Turkey share same religion and cultural heritage. Ordinary turkish walking on the streets of Ankara or Istanbul or praying in the Blue Mosque will never endorse brutal Indian tactics against Muslims in Kashmir.
                        Mohabbat , always remmember to do your homework before posting stuff about Pakistani
                        diplomatic relations with other muslim countries.

Comment

According to some newspapers, this may have to do with paki support to Taliban, where both Turkey and Iran are on the other side.

Comment

ZZ, I am proud as a muslim that Pakistan supports Talibans. As for your poor grasp on world affairs , Iran has always been anti-Taliban as it supports Tajiks or minority fighting against Talibans. Turkey has stayed neutral for most part.

[This message has been edited by outlaw (edited March 06, 2000).]

Comment

Actually Iran does not support Taliban but supports Taliban opposition and does not like Pakistan supporting Taliban. Relations of Iran and India were excellent before the Islamic revolution when Tehran has millions of Indian professionals (doctors and engineer) and other workers. There were many Iranian students in India. Now Khatami wants to improve relations with India. Check Iranian newspapers which have editorials and opinions on India-Iran relations.

Turkey and Iran do not have good relations at all. Turkey accused Iran for supporting the Kurdistan movement of North Iraq, who wants a separate country from Iraq and Turkey.

Comment

Working...
                              X