• Show
Clear All

I N D I A: an upcoming country in population & HIV+

Is it TRUE????

------------------
    Nadeem

Yes, very true

Comment

sad, but true.. the population part might stabilize 25-50 years from now, growth rate is less than 2.5 right now.. HIV control has to be taken more seriously, the social stigma attached to HIV+ve people is a big impediment...
      Simple ain't easy.

Comment

queer

what is the status of AIDS awareness in India? I know that in Pakistan its a taboo subject because "no one has multiple sex partners" and "no one does drugs"

Is there some government sponsored campaign or service organizations that have made it a cause there?
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

I dont think there are as many AIDS cases in Pakistan as in India. Mainly because prostitution is not very common in Pakistan as in India. It is said that most of the prostitutes in Bombay are HIV infected. Also homosexuality being a taboo is not practised openly as in India.

Comment

I would agree that India has a higher rate of AIDS and its growth than Pakistan. The statistics in both countries are not accurate becuase if the taboo nature of this disease in our society.

We have prostitution in Pakistan as well, and drug usage which means potential spread of the disease through syringes.

There have never been accurate figures available from either country on other STD's. This one gets some attention due to its inhernet lethal nature.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

[This message has been edited by sabah (edited January 31, 2000).]

Comment

The population growth rate has decreased quite a bit and the population is not growing at the rate that it used to, but still it is not enough. More definitely needs to be done. As far as AIDS is concerned its natural that with a population like India even a small percentage will mean quite a lot. But a lot of non-government organisations are doing their bit in these matters and they are doing a commendable job. Even individuals like Shabana Azmi have done quite a bit for AIDS awareness in India.
                It's definitely not a taboo subject any more.

mundyaa....
                "and hiv+ prostitutes is the no. 1 export of india nowadays. no wonder hindu is so proud of selling their women once again. "

You can't term it as an export, since they don't go outside India . Now if some person goes outside their country into some other country to harm or kill someone, THAT would be an export
                I don't remember the last time "hindus" sold their women. I can assure you Indians don't do that. Just because a society doesn't prefer to keep their women in chains (a la Afghanistan) does not mean that they've got lower morals !

[This message has been edited by BombayKid (edited January 28, 2000).]

Comment

Pakistani intelligence got credible evidence that raw was sending women in Pakistan who were hiv+. aids is a disease for the mentally sick and perverted... thus spreading exponentially in the hindus.

i dont understand the link between women who do Pardah in Afghanistan and Iran with this topic. Maybe u ought do the same if u dont want to vanish by aids and other filths spreading down under.

Comment

Fraudia,

AIDS awareness is the pet concern of quite a few bollywood stars, unfortunately few of them are
                    doing any real work. Vinod Khanna made an ass of himself by giving a big lecture on the
                    importance of segregating the HIV+ve from the rest! Shabana Azmi and Sunil Dutt are actively
                    involved, especially in taking care of HIV+ve kids. Richard Gere, on his india visit, did some
                    awareness campaigning.

the AIDS awareness cell is doing quite a lot in spreading info on AIDS, but isnt all that stressing
                    on the stigma part. suspect HIV+ve folk are often lynched!

sex workers organizations have made public announcements that the prositutes will refuse service
                    to people unwilling to wear a condom.

mundyaa wrote:
                    >aids is a disease for the mentally sick and perverted<

now, thats a new one!
                    Simple ain't easy.

Comment

YES IT IS TRUE SOON INDIA WILL HAVE ITS OWN PLAYBOY INDUSTRY WITH HIV POSITIVE>thats progress.

Jaawan

------------------
                      Till next time***Keep_It_Simple_Stupid***

Comment

[This message has been edited by sabah (edited January 31, 2000).]

Comment

Its good to hear that high profile people are talking about it, even if they make asses of themselves (btw Vinod Khanna was my fav actor when I was a kid) It is an issue that must be tackled head on to increase awareness and to limit its spread.

How are they looking at blood donors and transfusions. I know that in early 80s Pakistan did not have one of those thingamajigies that scan blood for hiv signs.
                          The first one was in Civil Hospital Karachi that was purchased through private funds raised by a student organization called Patients Welfare Association.

Additionally, in cases when blood is needed urgently and donors seeked, how do they ensure that its clean. That is a question which I have not only for pakistan and india but in general, because sometimes you can not track HIV for 6 months.

Lastly, lets keep this discussion constructive and not allow name callers to change the course of conversation.

Comment

At least in my state of Maharashtra, these days every hospital uses disposable syringes for blood transfusion. I've heard that in most hospitals in India, they've started using these syringes.
                            I think this is an interesting and important topic, although it was started with the intention of ridiculing India. It's funny how some people talk of morality on one hand and then boast about how their fellow countrymen "screw around" in the US !

mundyaa...
                            "Pakistani intelligence got credible evidence that raw was sending women in Pakistan who were hiv+. aids is a disease for the mentally sick and perverted... thus spreading exponentially in the hindus."

First of all the phrase "Pakistani intelligence" is an oxymoron so I wouldn't believe what they say j/k !!
                            Anyway from your comments, I think even educated people like you need to get more aware of these diseases. Statements like "disease for the mentally sick..." and "....spreading exponentially in the hindus", indicate that your knowledge regarding these matters is limited. And I wouldn't be surprised since you come from a country which got it's first cancer hospital in the 90's.

Jaawan....
                            "YES IT IS TRUE SOON INDIA WILL HAVE ITS OWN PLAYBOY INDUSTRY ....."

Actually you got your tense wrong. India already has a "Playboy industry". I'm assuming by that you mean that we have our own version of Playboy like magazines.
                            They are freely available in magazine stores all over India. We call it freedom of expression (being a Pakistani, you may not be much familiar with the term )

I know these things are repulsive. So I guess we may just have to wait till the time some dictator like Musharraf takes over or maybe till there is a Taliban like regime in India -- all our problems will be solved !!

[This message has been edited by BombayKid (edited January 29, 2000).]

Comment

Realpaki...you acquanited with her personally ?

oi Bombaykid.. i suggest that u edit your post..dunn stoop to lamers levels lets stay intelligent here, name calling anyone dunn help thanks mon ami

hey I get called names too, seen me respond in the same manner?

[This message has been edited by Fraudz (edited January 30, 2000).]

Comment

Working...
                              X