US says Indians killed thousands in Valley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US says Indians killed thousands in Valley

WASHINGTON, Feb 25: The US State Department said on Friday Indian forces had killed 10,727 freedom fighters in occupied Kashmir during the 1990s. In its annual human rights report for 1999 the department gave a hair-raising picture of the atrocities in occupied Jammu and Kashmir and quoted official Indian government and army spokesman for these figures.

"Security forces have committed thousands of serious human rights violations over the course of the conflict, including extra-judicial killings, disappearances, and torture," the report said.

"Despite this record of abuse, between January 1990 and September 1998, only 295 members of the security forces were prosecuted and punished for any of these crimes, and no compensation was paid to the victims or their families, according to the Union home ministry.

"In November Jammu and Kashmir governor Girish Chander Saxena said that from 1989-99 militants killed 8,000 civilians and 2,000 security force members, and that another 2,600 civilians died in crossfire between security forces and militant groups. "Government figures reveal that 867 civilians, 232 members of the security forces, and 999 militants were killed in Jammu and Kashmir in 1998."

According to the government, in 1998 632 civilians, 126 security forces members, and 270 militants were killed in the northeastern states, and the government reported 811 total killings in the northeast during the year. "Impunity has been and remains a serious problem in Jammu and Kashmir," the report said. "During the same period, 113 members of the security forces were punished for human rights abuses in the northeastern states. Punishments ranged from reduction in rank to imprisonment for up to 10 years.

These abuses are acute in Jammu and Kashmir, where judicial tolerance of the government's heavy-handed anti-militant tactics, the refusal of security forces to obey court orders, and terrorist threats have disrupted the judicial system. The number of "insurgency-related killings and acts of torture" in Jammu and Kashmir and the northeast by regular security forces showed no clear improvement from the previous year, it said

The concerted campaign of execution-style killings of civilians by Kashmiri militant groups, begun in 1998, continued and included several killings of political leaders and party workers.

Separatists were responsible for numerous, serious abuses, including extra-judicial executions of members of the armed forces and civilians and other political killings, torture, and brutality. Separatists also were responsible for kidnapping and extortion in Jammu and Kashmir and northeast India.

The spring and summer "incursion of Pakistan-backed armed forces into territory on the Indian side of the line of Control around Kargil in the state of Jammu and Kashmir and the Indian military campaign to repel the intrusion resulted in a large number of casualties among combatants on both sides, as well as some civilian deaths and the internal displacement of as many as 50,000 persons."

Nearly 100 persons were killed in election-related violence throughout the country in September and October, the report said.

So what do you say Indians? Is this Pakistani propoganda too? Provided to the US? It would be great if you Indians could shed light on this matter. Especailly the ones who accused Pakistan of spreading propagnda.

Comment

Why didn't you mention the newspaper from which you snip-a-snapped this? Is it because it happens to be a pakistani one which replaced the words "militants" and "terrorists" with "freedom-fighters" in the original report?

Here are some of the not-so-subtle things you missed upon in your report.

>quoted official Indian government and army spokesman for these figures.<

so the US report carries what the Indian govt already calls its "official figures". So where's the fun?

>from 1989-99 militants killed 8,000 civilians and 2,000 security force members, and that another 2,600 civilians died in crossfire<

your trustworthy US report said that too, and

>The concerted campaign of execution-style killings of civilians by Kashmiri militant groups, begun in 1998, continued and included several killings of political leaders and party workers.<

and

>Separatists were responsible for numerous, serious abuses,including extra-judicial executions of members of the armed forces and civilians and other political killings, torture, and brutality. Separatists also were responsible for kidnapping and extortion in Jammu and Kashmir and northeast India.<

Your report, in it's last paragraph, clearly indicates that the kargil drama in which you so proudly claim a hand, led to civilian casualties and relocation of 50,000 locals.

Simple ain't easy.

Comment

First of all since anybody can write anything as U guys say, WHO THE BLOODY CARES.
        If I am the head of the family and I support my relatives directly/indirectly in terrorist activites then the government has EVERY RIGHT to squeeze the **** out of me.
        I can't eat the cake and have it too.
        Got it buddies.

Comment

Obviously an ISI propaganda report. Indian army killed anybody in the valley --- never. If ZEE TV and DD says they didn't kill anybody then the rest of the world media does not know what they are talking about. There is only two honest media groups in the world. ZEE and Doordarshan. LOL

Comment

Right on Ehsan haha!

Comment

ehsan dear,

why dont you also admit that you've never watched a single minute of doordarshan broadcast in your whole life and hence are more qualified to comment on the shape of lunar craters rather than doordarshan?
              Simple ain't easy.

Comment

Capt. Gulsher Khan, I wonder why most of your posts start with your imagination and ends in imagining (sometimes exactly the opp. to what you started imagining) as is evident in this post. Firstly US paper would never mention the ongoing skirmishes in Kashmir as freedom fighting and the people involved in it as freedom fighters.

I have not stopped laughing till this day about you mail on Kargil where you also participated, this gives an idea of your imagination horses. Why don't you try story writing for children, believe me you will be successful.

Comment

Personal attack. I will reply to this post if it is not removed till tomorrow as I would like to play the game according to the rules set out by the mod. Till tomorrow good bye from this post at least.

Comment

Working...
                  X