Democracy cannot work in Pakistan...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Democracy cannot work in Pakistan...

I read an article by Ayaz Amir of Dawn last week (perhaps it is still possible to read it?) where he basically argued that the people of our part of the world are NOT used to democracy as understood in the West. Basically he said it is an alien colonial concept and something we are not prepared for psychologically or historically as a collective--hence you have had a sham of a democracy in India (hinduism disguised as democracy) and in pakistan--well, even the pretence of democracy has not been kept!

But all this assumes that democracy is actually the best form of governance--and I don't think it is. Throughout our history, Muslims have been ruled by a combination of khilaafat and sultanat/imaarat. That is the type of goverment Islam allows and it is the type we are used to --and our people respect a strong ruler--the Khulafa-e-Rashida, Hazrat Amir Muawiyya...and closer to home, Muhammad ibn Qasim, Timur e Lang, Babar, Aurangzeb, Mahmud Ghaznavi, Abdali, Ghauri...etc.

That's why I do not think that democracy can work in an Islamic society--as it is basically an un-islamic concept derived from Graeco-Renaissance ideology...

Bring back the Sultan!

Dear Asif. First you don’t show up here in over 2 months. When you come, it is your usual anti-democracy fascist propaganda. Don’t you have something nice to say about the beauty of democracy (i.e, Rule of the People)? Your idea of Khilafat doesn’t stand a chance in today’s age. By they way who elects/selects Khalifas? Are there any female members on the selection board? Any minorities on the board? Any Gays, etc. Or is Khilafat imposed by sword? These are the questions one needs to ask.

Comment

NYA..I have been around--just observing

Tell me, which Muslim country has benefited from Democracy? If you impose something alien on a people to whom it does not belong...they are sure to reject it eventually--as is happening all over the Muslim world as people realise it's limitations...

Democracy has some good points--but these are already in Islam--and it has bad points as well..I think it was Iqbal who said once in a satirical piece that 100 donkeys do not equal 1 human (i.e. referring to the voting process)...

Khilaafat is the Islamic system which is allowed by Shar'iah (or Sultanat as well).
      I'd be happy if musharraf declared the constitution null an void and set up a majlis of top most ulama in Pakistan to pick a leader who would be the Amir...then we can pledge allegiance to him...

Comment

Dear Asif,

you write:
        “Tell me, which Muslim country has benefited from Democracy? If you impose something alien on a people to whom it does not belong...”

Are you suggesting that Islam is indigenous to many (now called Islamic) countries? In geographical terms, all Western Monotheistic Religions and all their Prophets were reveled only in about 500 square mile area (mount Se’nai and surrounding regions). Islam (or Judaism or Christianity) was only native to that area. They were as much “import” to other regions as is Democracy. (only difference being that the concept of Democracy predates Monotheism by about 400 years). So don’t tell us that Islam belongs to Pakistan more than Democracy does. Democracy allows everyone the right to equal voice, Islam doesn’t. The Emperors you mentioned were Murderers who violated our rights to our indigenous culture and way of doing things. I see that you didn’t mention Akbar in the same sentence as Aurangzeeb, any reason for that?

You also say:

“>>>>I'd be happy if musharraf declared the constitution null an void and set up a majlis of top most ulama in Pakistan to pick a leader who would be the Amir.<<<”

Would there be any “females” in the “Majlis” you are proposing? And when you say “Ulama”, is that inclusive or exclusive? As well as “leader”, can a “Female” or a “Homosexual” be leader or “Amir”?

Comment

Oh poor Pakistan and the poorer democracy. LOL

Fata Morgana

Comment

Taimur Lang, Aurangzeb, babar as ideal rulers. Why not add Zia ul Haq and Yahya khan to the list?

Comment

Add Musharraf to the list also, because he also started like Zia started and most porbably end up the same way. Democracy is the most difficult thing to maintain. If your countrymen enjoy living like slaves with no voice, ALLAH only can save your country.

Comment

>>it is an alien colonial concept and something we are not prepared for psychologically or historically as a collective--hence you have had a sham of a democracy in India<<

Asif, you should only speak for Pakistan where the military has taken power for the third time, don't drag India down with you. We give power to military to do their job and not to rule us.

Democracy needs a questioning minds once people develop it, it manifests itself in all spheres of life. In Muslim world religion governs all spheres of life and nobody is allowed to question it or criticize it. For democracy to function society needs develop an open and analytical mindset through education and public debates and this weakens the hold of religion which demands blind faith. Religious authoritarianism (principles written in stone) and democracy are not compatible.

Muslim world demands complete subjugation to religion and everything flows from it. This discourages free thinking and questioning mind which are prerequisites of democracy. Democratic countries have democracy in all spheres of life such as, religion, culture and education etc. you cannot have political democracy without democratizing other institutions.

[This message has been edited by Rani (edited February 29, 2000).]

Comment

isn't internet alien colonial concept, and electric bulb, and telephone and all technological advances. face it. it is all western contribution. we use it.
                  as for as 'sham democracy' in india and 'raat or midnight democracy' in pakistan is concerned, u better worry ur butts.
                  the problem is that islmic mindset is entirely obsessed with power and is basically a tribal mindset. this perhaps leads to army invading its own people often, may it be indonesia or pakistan.

Comment

Damn! Leave me wondering why foreign agents are so worried about the democracy(or any other system of ruling) in Pakistan...

Fata Morgana

Comment

cuz it matters... if rulers are accountable to the people, they will have to worry about raising living standard, unemployment and stuff rather than holy wars.

Comment

Among all other mundane things, Jihad is a part of life and its duty of muslims to Jihad when necessary.

Fata Morgana

Comment

let people decide what their duty is. if a common man in pakistan believes that, he will give mandate to musharraf.

Comment

There are some matters in our life that we cannot allow foreign agents to lecture us. Period!

Fata Morgana

Comment

so u believe i need ur permission to give my opinions.. this time u have been truly funny Fata nd 'Lol' is missing.

Comment

Working...
                              X