Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crime in Karachi.. can anything be done!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crime in Karachi.. can anything be done!

This is just sad... Just when you think things are starting to improve...
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4812262.stm

bus hijacking in the southern Pakistani city of Karachi is an ordeal for the passengers, but more of a routine for the conductor.

A man in black clothes pushed the bus driver off his seat and took the steering wheel.

Armed robbers often target public buses in Karachi

His accomplice, wearing white, locked the front door of the bus and turned to the women crammed in the front of the vehicle.

"Keep your heads down and be quiet," he said in a loud clear voice.

"I am sure you have all seen this," he added, pulling out a revolver from his clothes.

Some of the women could be seen biting their fists to suppress their screams.

Their third accomplice, a bearded man stationed at the rear of the bus, made his presence felt by emitting a torrent of abuse.

"Sit down. Quick, on the floor. Now, you dogs!" he screamed, punching the back of a passenger's neck.

Everyone obeyed, a few getting kicked by the hijacker in the process.

By that time, we knew that the bus had been hijacked although we were not sure for what purpose.

'Money and cell phones'

We soon found out why.

"Come on, empty your pockets," the man shouted once again. "Money and cell phones, out with it."

Please feel free to tell them that you all were robbed by the Fauji gang - my name is Fauji

Armed robber

They were quite skilled at this sort of a thing.

A few people had kept their money in different pockets but were cleaned out in no time at all.

Anyone who tried to be clever was soon slapped, punched and kicked into submission.

"Who is the bus conductor?" the man shouted once more.

A young boy who barely looked 15 got up from among the people squatting on the floor.

"Come on, child. Tell me how much you have earned today?" the hijacker purred.

The boy handed him every penny that he had.

Surreal

I was poorer by a few thousand rupees but the bearded man hadn't fancied my wrist watch. I had also managed to slip my cell phone under the seat.

But my material wellbeing was the furthest thing from my mind. I couldn't help feeling how surreal the scene was as I looked out of the window.

Some two million people use Karachi's public transport every day

Our bus was speeding through one of the busiest districts of Karachi. But life outside seemed so routine.

No one, including a police jeep that sped past us, had a clue what we had been going through for over half an hour now.

The hijackers had gained in confidence, having terrorised everyone into submission.

The man in white called out to his bearded colleague at the back: "If anyone wants his SIM card back, let him have it," he ordered.

The bus turned off the main road towards the industrial area. The driver was being careful, observing traffic rules diligently and displaying none of the rashness normally expected from bus drivers in Karachi.

The hijacker-driver stopped the bus eventually and called out to the real driver.

"This is where we part ways, my friend," he said. "But make sure you keep the lights inside the bus off and do not stop till you reach the next intersection."

'Fauji gang'

He then turned to the passengers.

"If anyone wants to report this matter to the police, there is a police post behind us and a proper police station a little way ahead," he beamed.

"Please feel free to tell them that you all were robbed by the Fauji gang. My name is Fauji," he smiled, waving the revolver expansively.

The three jumped off the bus and ran away into a dark alley.

The real driver now took over and we started moving again.

"I am ashamed to be a man, Auntie," he said to the woman sitting closest to him.

"All this time, I wanted to rip him apart but what could I do?"

The frustration of the robbed passengers rang loud right through the bus.

Everyone had something to say in the post-trauma camaraderie that suddenly seemed to have taken over the bus.

We reached an intersection where a police van was parked.

'Third time this month'

The conductor ran to the van and shouted: "We have all been robbed."

It doesn't look from your attitude as if any of you has been robbed

Karachi policeman

"Oh! Who did it?" one of the policemen inside the van asked.

"Three men. There were three men," shouted one of the passengers. "They just got off a few streets from here."

"Were they in a car or on foot?" asked another policeman.

"They were on a spaceship," screamed another passenger. "Now will you do something?"

"It doesn't look from your attitude as if any of you has been robbed," said the first policeman and the police van drove away.

There was a sudden, strange calm in the bus as the police van disappeared from sight. It was almost as if everyone had reconciled themselves to the fact that whatever they had lost was gone for good.

The driver brought the bus back to the main road and we soon reached a bus stop.

"Come on, come on, hurry up," the conductor called to the people waiting to board the bus. "We have lost enough time already."

Surprised at how effortlessly the young conductor had slipped back into his routine, I told him that he was quite a cool customer.

"What can we do?" the boy shrugged. "This was the third time this month."

Re: Crime in Karachi.. can anything be done!

if its third time for the same bus then they also be involved.
    پاکستان پاکستان

Comment

When the biggest criminal gang, MQM is in govt, of course criminals will be running free.

One of the few effective anti crime units, the CPLC has been ruined by them

When they are not in govt, they start their terrorism again, so Karachi will always go through this.

Comment

opfcourse you can tackkle crime. It's just a matter of making resources availble and the political will todo so.

If you have parties who sponsor and fundthemselves through crime = np political will to crack down

If you dont pay your tax's or have an efficient collection system = no resources to tackle crime.

Comment

shivering

Comment

Sad stuff, but how is it related to MQM? MQM or no MQM, trouble's been in Karachi for quite a while. And no, I've got nothing to do with MQM. I just hate it when people blindly point fingers at others without any solid evidence.

Comment

There was an article about roving gangs of punjabis crminals in Karachi terrorizing the citizens. They were in effect conducting robberties, car jacking etc. Also, many punjabi police officers treat Karachi like a loot.

Comment

^ You're asking for trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Sadiyah
                  Sad stuff, but how is it related to MQM? MQM or no MQM, trouble's been in Karachi for quite a while. And no, I've got nothing to do with MQM. I just hate it when people blindly point fingers at others without any solid evidence.
                  I didn't say this particular crime was by MQM. I was making a general poiint about crime in Karachi. Crime and terrorism in Karachi has got much worse since MQM was created.

Nowdays they are relatively quiet because Mush is giving them everything. but when they are out of power, they will go back to their usual habits.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRealDeal
                    Crime and terrorism in Karachi has got much worse since MQM was created.
                    Actually it got much worse when Afghans started renting out AK-47s and contract killings.

Thank your hero General Zia for bringing the Afghan war in Karachi with hordes of drug dealers and AK renters.

Comment

Where lies the real problem? Anybody knows??? Yes, you guessed it right....its the bunch of thugs in Islamabad...They go to the parliament often....and guess who brough them to the parliament? Yes our favorite MUSH!

Just be normal guys....no need to worry, thats nothing new for Karachi, or any other part of Pakistan where even worse happens. These people sitting on our heads are busy in their loot khasoot. They are numb to all that happens right under their noses.

Talk about "enlightened moderation", talk about religious moderation, and talk about how fast our economy is growing.. talk about how we have changed our curriculum so that we can teach morals to our kids and not extremism, and how open our society has become, how fast our media is, we have fashion shows around every street corner...and all the "good stuff"

Who has time to see what is going on with ordinary people? What happens when one goes to the police, court or "katchehri".. What is involved in buying property or land in Pakistan?

Our leaders talk about everything but justice. It is through justice that we can have rule of law. ONLY JUSTICE.. and everyone is aware how our judicial system is.

Oh, I forgot, thieves have been imposed as ministers and in the cabinet by who else but the one who imposed himself by force on the whole country.

Comment

There is more crime in the west but goes unreported.. Karachi is much better.
                        Remember the three R's: Respect for self; Respect for others; Responsibility for all your actions.

Comment

Originally posted by mulz
                          There is more crime in the west but goes unreported.. Karachi is much better.
                          Reality check needed

Comment

It is wrong to single out MQM for the crime in karachi.I know that elements within the MQM and other parties are are involved in crime.But karachi is different from other cities of pakistan.So one has to look at other facts as well.

when there was a blast at PIDC the government said that it was done with by The BLA(balochistan liberation army) but the BLA denied it and blamed it on the agencies.A peson identifying with BLA said that they cant bomb a place like karachi which is in sindh because the people are oppressed just like us we would rather bomb some place in punjab.Who ever did it why karachi???

There are other incidents like this which I can quote.Like the american consulate incident,killing of french engineers etc,burning of foreign resturants

Cars mostly snatched from karachi are taken to other cities and provinces.By the way car snatching has decreased to some extent by the the tracking device but according to the police and CPLC the favourite destination of car snatchers is gulshan iqbal and gulistan e jauhar the reason is it takes less time to move the car out of the city.

The latest bank robbery in which a guard robbed more than 10 15 million from the bank.The guard belonged to north west frontier and was not a LOCAL.

The beggars who are involved in petty crimes as well come mostly from south punjab this is for a fact that they come to karachi at special occasions and events like eid etc some stay some leave and come again the same time of the year.

The sohrab goth of karachi has the population of afghan refugees they are involved in criminal activities like selling guns and drugs.

Karachi is the only city in pakistan where almost 90 95 % population is not local. Elements within the police are involved in landgrabbing and other criminal activities all over the city.A terrorist who was a former cop attacked corps commander karachi and also a police station.

In the recent local bodies election the former nazim wanted to call the army to monitor the elections because in his opinion there would be bloodshed all over the city.Mashallah elections were held peacefully in karachi.But over 10 people were killed in violence in punjab and NWFP

There is an anti karachi lobby also in the media which projects karachi as an unsafe city.The reason is to take investors out of karachi and invest in "certain cities"of pakistan hich they successfully did in the last 10 15 years.for example when there were 2 3 blasts at ichara lahore the coverage was for one day but if the same happens in karachi some newspapers give analysis on it for days.

Karachi cant be compared with comparitively smaller cities like lahore multan sialkot gujranwala faisalabad.It has a growth rate of more than 6 7 % because of migration from other cities and provinces even countries afghanistan bangladeshl and burma.A Quetta is added to the population every year.

Induction of locals in the police,better policing system,disarming of political and other groups,reduction in poverty because poverty leads to crime in some,end to corrupt practices and rule of law will surely end crime in karachi for that matter anywhere in the world.

P.S.
                            If karachi is so unsafe then why people from all over pakistan are coming here for work etc.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRealDeal
                              Reality check needed
                              well, look at this way- woman are exploited more in the west compared to Pakistan- everywhere a woman in some club/bar/pub gets exploited. There are far few cases of rape or any sort of expolitation in Karachi or anywhere else in Pakistan.. gotcha?
                              Remember the three R's: Respect for self; Respect for others; Responsibility for all your actions.

Comment

Working...
                              X