Dr Wafa Sultan--Hero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dr Wafa Sultan--Hero

Well isn't this a breath of fresh air. A woman who speaks the unspoken truth on Al-Jazeera. Do you think Muslims will be shocked into listening?

For Muslim Who Says Violence Destroys Islam, Violent Threats
    By JOHN M. BRODER
    LOS ANGELES, March 10 Three weeks ago, Dr. Wafa Sultan was a largely unknown Syrian-American psychiatrist living outside Los Angeles, nursing a deep anger and despair about her fellow Muslims.
    Today, thanks to an unusually blunt and provocative interview on Al Jazeera television on Feb. 21, she is an international sensation, hailed as a fresh voice of reason by some, and by others as a heretic and infidel who deserves to die.
    In the interview, which has been viewed on the Internet more than a million times and has reached the e-mail of hundreds of thousands around the world, Dr. Sultan bitterly criticized the Muslim clerics, holy warriors and political leaders who she believes have distorted the teachings of Muhammad and the Koran for 14 centuries.
    She said the world's Muslims, whom she compares unfavorably with the Jews, have descended into a vortex of self-pity and violence.
    Dr. Sultan said the world was not witnessing a clash of religions or cultures, but a battle between modernity and barbarism, a battle that the forces of violent, reactionary Islam are destined to lose.
    In response, clerics throughout the Muslim world have condemned her, and her telephone answering machine has filled with dark threats. But Islamic reformers have praised her for saying out loud, in Arabic and on the most widely seen television network in the Arab world, what few Muslims dare to say even in private.
    "I believe our people are hostages to our own beliefs and teachings," she said in an interview this week in her home in a Los Angeles suburb.
    Dr. Sultan, who is 47, wears a prim sweater and skirt, with fleece-lined slippers and heavy stockings. Her eyes and hair are jet black and her modest manner belies her intense words: "Knowledge has released me from this backward thinking. Somebody has to help free the Muslim people from these wrong beliefs."
    Perhaps her most provocative words on Al Jazeera were those comparing how the Jews and Muslims have reacted to adversity. Speaking of the Holocaust, she said, "The Jews have come from the tragedy and forced the world to respect them, with their knowledge, not with their terror; with their work, not with their crying and yelling."
    She went on, "We have not seen a single Jew blow himself up in a German restaurant. We have not seen a single Jew destroy a church. We have not seen a single Jew protest by killing people."
    She concluded, "Only the Muslims defend their beliefs by burning down churches, killing people and destroying embassies. This path will not yield any results. The Muslims must ask themselves what they can do for humankind, before they demand that humankind respect them."
    Her views caught the ear of the American Jewish Congress, which has invited her to speak in May at a conference in Israel. "We have been discussing with her the importance of her message and trying to devise the right venue for her to address Jewish leaders," said Neil B. Goldstein, executive director of the organization.
    She is probably more welcome in Tel Aviv than she would be in Damascus. Shortly after the broadcast, clerics in Syria denounced her as an infidel. One said she had done Islam more damage than the Danish cartoons mocking the Prophet Muhammad, a wire service reported.

DR. SULTAN is "working on a book that if it is published it's going to turn the Islamic world upside down."
    "I have reached the point that doesn't allow any U-turn. I have no choice. I am questioning every single teaching of our holy book."
    The working title is, "The Escaped Prisoner: When God Is a Monster."
    Dr. Sultan grew up in a large traditional Muslim family in Banias, Syria, a small city on the Mediterranean about a two-hour drive north of Beirut. Her father was a grain trader and a devout Muslim, and she followed the faith's strictures into adulthood.
    But, she said, her life changed in 1979 when she was a medical student at the University of Aleppo, in northern Syria. At that time, the radical Muslim Brotherhood was using terrorism to try to undermine the government of President Hafez al-Assad. Gunmen of the Muslim Brotherhood burst into a classroom at the university and killed her professor as she watched, she said.
    "They shot hundreds of bullets into him, shouting, 'God is great!' " she said. "At that point, I lost my trust in their god and began to question all our teachings. It was the turning point of my life, and it has led me to this present point. I had to leave. I had to look for another god."
    She and her husband, who now goes by the Americanized name of David, laid plans to leave for the United States. Their visas finally came in 1989, and the Sultans and their two children (they have since had a third) settled in with friends in Cerritos, Calif., a prosperous bedroom community on the edge of Los Angeles County.
    After a succession of jobs and struggles with language, Dr. Sultan has completed her American medical licensing, with the exception of a hospital residency program, which she hopes to do within a year. David operates an automotive-smog-check station. They bought a home in the Los Angeles area and put their children through local public schools. All are now American citizens.

BUT even as she settled into a comfortable middle-class American life, Dr. Sultan's anger burned within. She took to writing, first for herself, then for an Islamic reform Web site called Annaqed (The Critic), run by a Syrian expatriate in Phoenix.
    An angry essay on that site by Dr. Sultan about the Muslim Brotherhood caught the attention of Al Jazeera, which invited her to debate an Algerian cleric on the air last July.
    In the debate, she questioned the religious teachings that prompt young people to commit suicide in the name of God. "Why does a young Muslim man, in the prime of life, with a full life ahead, go and blow himself up?" she asked. "In our countries, religion is the sole source of education and is the only spring from which that terrorist drank until his thirst was quenched."
    Her remarks set off debates around the globe and her name began appearing in Arabic newspapers and Web sites. But her fame grew exponentially when she appeared on Al Jazeera again on Feb. 21, an appearance that was translated and widely distributed by the Middle East Media Research Institute, known as Memri.
    Memri said the clip of her February appearance had been viewed more than a million times.
    "The clash we are witnessing around the world is not a clash of religions or a clash of civilizations," Dr. Sultan said. "It is a clash between two opposites, between two eras. It is a clash between a mentality that belongs to the Middle Ages and another mentality that belongs to the 21st century. It is a clash between civilization and backwardness, between the civilized and the primitive, between barbarity and rationality."
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/11/in...ar&oref=slogin
    Boycott Venezuelas State owned Citgo.

Buy Royal Dutch Shell gasoline!

Re: Dr Wafa Sultan--Hero

IM SHOCKED!

..anyone could be dull enough to believe that the words of a random woman who is one of them Muslims and still happens to share your worldview will make the rest of the world agree with it.

she might "turn the Muslim world upside down" and "shock the Muslim world" if anyone ever gave a rats feck about who she is and what she said.

garbage
    Din-e-Mullah fee sabeelillah fasad (Allama Iqbal)

Comment

...she has a book in the works...I suppose after the Deeyah and Manji nonsense, she's going to try a slightly different approach to market herself. :-)

It is amazing how there's this cottage industry of Islam-bashers popping up...I mean, they have no impact on Muslims and only serve to reinforce the tired arguments of conservative commentators in America. Are these commentators looking for validation from a pseudo-insider? Seems so...sounds a bit pathetic.

Most headlines that discuss her seem to message menacing voice mails left on her answering machine. This troubles me: is law enforcement really that powerless in the face of death threats? I never hear of any follow up investigations or police action...

Now, I wonder how she feels about Assad's murder of an entire pro-Brotherhood village of 20,000 back in the 80's...

Comment

A woman condemns those who use Islam to justify violence and is labled an Islam-basher. Great message.

Comment

Re: Hooker Wafa Sultan- A bimbo

This woman is actually a new york city hooker. She is a ex-muslim uncle tom who gave up her religion long ago to get a green card.

she is a rotten apple in the middle of thousand of good apples. WHe is just trying to have her 60 minutes of fame by appeasing her white masters. Bad girl, bad bad girl.

Maybe fox new can invite her just like they do to that lesbian named Irshad Monji.

Nobody takes these types of uncle toms seriously. So Ohioguy can have his two minutes of fun.
          The Sindhis, Punjabis, Pathans, Balochs, Mahajirs are all my brothers !!! All pakistanis are my brothers !!! Lets work to bring democracy to our land so we can have long term stability and equal rights for all !!! MQM and other racist separatists Murdabad !!!

Comment

Nice you call this woman a hooker, such respect. Every woman should hide themselves from you. Go burn down a KFC.

Comment

Originally posted by underthedome
              Nice you call this woman a hooker, such respect. Go burn down a KFC.

I have no respect for uncle toms.

By the way, are you a white American ?
              The Sindhis, Punjabis, Pathans, Balochs, Mahajirs are all my brothers !!! All pakistanis are my brothers !!! Lets work to bring democracy to our land so we can have long term stability and equal rights for all !!! MQM and other racist separatists Murdabad !!!

Comment

She calls for an end of using Islam to support killings and she is labled an Uncle Tom and a whore by you. Only a weak and insecure man would call an outspoken woman who he happens to disagree with a whore.

Comment

I'd agree that yes, many Muslims have resorted to unnecessary violence or the type, which may not necessarily needs to be carried out; such as the random shooting of the professors and other civillians. Then again I have no idea what beliefs the professor held and the reason why he was shot dead.

Anyway, her childish mentality clearly transpires when she compares Islam to another religion, which has been guilty of all of the above she has accused Islam of. I guess she's aloof of the conditions many Palestinians are living under and the way they are butchered day and night. Oh well... whatever floats her boat.

Comment

Speaking of the Holocaust, she said, "The Jews have come from the tragedy and forced the world to respect them, with their knowledge, not with their terror; with their work, not with their crying and yelling."

She went on, "We have not seen a single Jew blow himself up in a German restaurant. We have not seen a single Jew destroy a church. We have not seen a single Jew protest by killing people."

She concluded, "Only the Muslims defend their beliefs by burning down churches, killing people and destroying embassies. This path will not yield any results. The Muslims must ask themselves what they can do for humankind, before they demand that humankind respect them."

She indeed is a voice of reason. Couldn't have said it better. I mean where are the Muslim scholars, leaders, intellectuals and religious men when they see Shia-Sunni violence in Pakistan and Iraq. Where were they when there was a genocide going on in Sudan and Gujrat? What have they done for the humanity? I mean we go protest this and that but the real issues are not talked about.

We want US and Western world to get involve. What are you stupid? Don't they have their own country to look for, policies to inforce. Are we going to stand up and fix something? I applaud her for raising some very important points, definatly doesn't hurt by saying these things. Had she burn down KFC, killed her fellow Muslim or blew up a mosque, than it would have been a different story. All she is doing is raising a voice and expressing her opinion, which is very rare for Muslims to do when is needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Pak Brave Heart
                      This woman is actually a new york city hooker. She is a ex-muslim uncle tom who gave up her religion long ago to get a green card.

she is a rotten apple in the middle of thousand of good apples. WHe is just trying to have her 60 minutes of fame by appeasing her white masters. Bad girl, bad bad girl.

Maybe fox new can invite her just like they do to that lesbian named Irshad Monji.

Nobody takes these types of uncle toms seriously. So Ohioguy can have his two minutes of fun.
                      Ah yes, dissent in the Muslim world means instant insults of her sexual orientation, sexual promiscuity, intelligence and faith.

Good boy PBH slap her back into the 15th Century and bring her back into line with the rest of the Lemmings......
                      Boycott Venezuelas State owned Citgo.

Buy Royal Dutch Shell gasoline!

Comment

OG, it is a viewpoint of one degenerate who has lost her faith in Allah. After reading this line ". I had to leave. I had to look for another god" I concluded everything she writes is crap and nothing is worth reading. She can go to hell for all I care. I do have a few questions for her..has she found another god yet? If yes, who is it? If not why not.
                        She is not the only one who has witnessed violence/terror.... ask her if she has ever witnessed a body of a bullet ridden child from palestine? Did she happen to see the pictures of the butchered families ....courtsey of red white and blue?
                        Finally, just because she is asking for the violence to stop does not make her a voice of reason. You have to look at the whole picture...she clearly has alterior motives and helping muslims and islam is not one of them.
                        Weather forecast for tonight: dark.

Comment

Originally posted by Ohioguy
                          Good boy PBH slap her back into the 15th Century and bring her back into line with the rest of the Lemmings......

15 century ? since when did I say I want people to live by the standards of 15th century ?

Actually I am a very modern person. I am a medical student by the way.

I want Moslems to be educated, adopt modern technology, improve their economies. However, socially speaking I want moslems to keep their traditions and not turn into uncle toms.

We can be modern by getting good education and techonology , not by wearing skirts. One doesn't has to be a uncle tom to be modern.

Comment

I'm sure the god she found doesn't support blowing up buses Kaleem.

Comment

Originally posted by underthedome
                              I'm sure the god she found doesn't

actually she is an athiest now. In the article it says SHe doesn't believe in God any more......... SHe as become an uncle tom

Comment

Working...
                              X