X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Chechens had to die

Russia grasps its big prize of Chechen oil

FROM GILES WHITTELL(The Times) IN MOSCOW

THREE days after raising its flag in Grozny's last rebel stronghold, Russia is claiming the richest prize of the war: Chechnya's potential as a conduit for the vast oil wealth of the Caspian basin.
    In a postscript to a flood of announcements on its newly "liberated" province, the Kremlin has assigned the right to extract and exploit Chechnya's oil and gas reserves to Rosneft, Russia's last big state-owned oil group.

Russia has promised to cut its 93,000 force in Chechnya by nearly half. Valery Manilov, first deputy chief of Russia's general staff, said: "There will be about 50,000 troops left, and they will be mainly paratroops, marines, and rapid-reaction forces."

The annexation of Chechnya's oil may yet hit obstacles - Rosneft has already been forced to seek a special licence to drill there. Nevertheless, the move was being seen as an unmistakeable signal that Russia now means to exact a swift return in oil revenues and regional prestige.

"This is a case of Russia re-establishing its historic dominance of the region," James Henderson, chief oil analyst at Renaissance Capital, in Moscow, said. "Moscow is saying 'there are assets in Chechnya and we, Russia, are going to control them'."

One analyst in Moscow put Chechnya's untapped reserves last month at 60 billion tonnes, equivalent to much of the Middle East's remaining supply. Most experts believe that the region's wells are uneconomic and its status as a player in the global oil business rests on its position straddling a key pipeline linking the Caspian to Russia's biggest Black Sea oil terminal, at Novorossiisk.

What is clear is the importance that Russia attaches to rebuilding the Chechen oil industry that it has spent much of the past five months bombing. Even as the wells and refineries that ring Grozny continue to burn at a rate of 400 tonnes of oil a day, a succession of delegations has flown in from Moscow to assess the damage and set production targets.

As one expert said: "Access to the Caspian has been the reason for Chechnya's importance. Why else did Hitler try so hard to conquer it?"

From the Times (UK)
    English broadsheet.

The old saying that behind every war there is Zar, Zan or Zameen should be changed to Zar oil or Zameen.

I guess we will soon be hearing about Chechen terrorists.

Comment

it was absolutely stupid of them to try to take on russia with no state in the vicinity supporting them.

Comment

zz... they didnt. they were forced to do this. russians masterminded it all.

Comment

Russians have to pay heavy price by conquering Chechnya. Chechens and Russians have a fighting history of more than 300 years. And I am sure the Chechens will stirke back own their owns. They are very very very revengeful people ever known in the history of mankind.

Fata Morgana

Comment

forget russians, there are less than 800000 chechens, 400000 must be women, that leaves few fighting men and how long they are going to do it and at what price.

Comment

ZZ
              I am sorry to say that you have a typical Indian thinking. The size of the Army doesnt matter. Whenever a cat gives birth to kittens try snatching kitten from it and see what is going to happen. Its Chechnya is Chechniyan's motherland and they maybe small in number but are ready to die for it

Comment

ah.. again the same junk. in this entire century, muslims have never won without the help of west, in fact tiny israel is kicking entire arab neighborhood. both kosovo and afghan wins were not possible without american aid.

and still bravado goes on.

Comment

I think in 1996, Chechens won and the current war is not yet over.

Fata Morgana

Comment

zz, numbers dont make a difference. there were probably less afghans fighting russians but they lost... now you will say well they had US backing. US was backing in vietnam too how come they lost? Similarly hindus have 700,000 military in kashmir how come you cant fight a bunch of muslims who you call insurgents, militants, foreign militants or whatever?

Comment

I didnt say US always wins. I even will not say that with US backing Chechens will win. It will need a basis in one of neighboring states, Georgia or like, which should give arms and diplomatic support to them. In Afghan war, Pak provided the base and US provided money.

Chechens are gone. Their may be few gurilla raids here and there. But the war is over. Firstly, chechen population is no longer supporting chechen warlords as strongly as in 96. secondly not much population is left.

Comment

zz thanks for sharing rocket science with us... if it wasnt for u we wouldnt know that a neighboring country is needed to provide platform if u want to go to war. what we wouldnt do without ur intelligence.

on one hand u say that muslims have never won a war without US help but do not want to acknowledge Muslim bravery and spirits to fight for their freedom. I think a proper way to put it would be that US has never won a war without muslim cooperation be it bosnia, afghanistan, iraq.

Comment

u can always rely on me to get the much needed common sense. wish chechens had it.

Comment

Chechens people are dust to dust fighters.

Fata Morgana

Comment

Chechen people are paying for the sheer stupidity of few war mongers like Shamil & Khattab......I seriously hope russia could pin down these two *******s, this will be a blessing for Chechen themselves and hopefully will bring some sorta stability in the region.

Comment

Working...
                              X