Like Osama-bin-Laden, Maulana Azhar is a hero in Pakistan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like Osama-bin-Laden, Maulana Azhar is a hero in Pakistan

Like Osama-bin_laden, Maulana Azhar is a hero in Pakistan.

Lahore: Dozens of bearded men in camouflage uniforms and wielding automatic rifles overran the Lahore international airport on Wednesday to welcome Maulana Masood Aazhar — one of three militants freed by India to end last month’s hijacking of an Indian Airlines plane.

Looking like a small army, more than 100 men — all believed to be members of the militant islamic group Harakat-ul-Mujahideen of which Azhar is a member — appeared to overrun the airport, their weapons prominently displayed, said eyewitnesses.Azhar emerged from the terminal building surrounded by dozens of bodyguards.

His cavalcade of motorcycles, pick up trucks and cars roared through the streets of the eastern Punjab capital. Men with weapons were packed into the back of trucks and on motorcycles.The entourage of about 200 came to a stop at Al-Mansoor, an Islamic religious school, on the outskirts of the city.

As Azhar entered, about 1,000 people waved their hands and shouted "God is Great". The United States has asked Pakistan to shut down Azhar’s organization, Harakat-ul-Mujahideen, suspected by Washington to have links with the hijackers of the Indian Airlines plane.

The whereabouts and the identities of the hijackers is not known, but Azhar says they have all returned to Kashmir. He didn’t say how he knew that. “They never disclosed their identities, but they said they were Kashmiris and they are in Kashmir,” he said on Wednesday.

“They will carry out their mission to make life tough for India. The hijackers are willing to die for the jehad.” But Washington has asked Pakistan to clamp down on militant Islamic groups operating here, particularly the Harakat-ul-Mujahedeen.

A sister organization, Harakat-ul-Jehad, on Tuesday warned of a violent backlash if the government accedes to the American demand.

200 people were out with their guns and theie rifles to welcome this man.....and all my pals and cousins who ae not into this whole thaang at all get included as people looking to this guy as a hero.

Well, I had prolly about that much people to greet me when i went to Pakistan last time (maybe just a litle less)
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Don't be petty Mohabbat. Dilip Kumar is also a hero in Pakistan.

Comment

My nana also calls me hero when he does not like my clothes.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

it's a bit off topic, but just out of curiosity, why is Dilip Kumar a hero in Pakistan ? What has he done for Pakistan that has made him a hero ?

[This message has been edited by BombayKid (edited January 26, 2000).]

Comment

Bombaykid,

lots of Indian film stars are idolised in Pakistan...Amitabh Bachan, Mithun, Rekha, Sridevi etc etc. Especially muslim ones are taken to heart. Shah Rukh , Salman and most of all Dilip Kumar (Yousuf Khan).

I should point out though that in some areas Indian films are banned. Azad Kashmir for example (ask Kashmirigirl) where rest of Pakistan is looked down on for giving currency to the enemy. In fact in some tribal areas of Pakistan such as Baluchistan and Peshawar, other more modern areas of Pakistan are almost considered kafir (non-muslim).

Comment

Mr. Xtreme...
              "Azad Kashmir for example (ask Kashmirigirl) where rest of Pakistan is looked down on for giving currency to the enemy."

First of all a lot of Pakistanis are under the false notion that by watching Indian films they are helping Indian film-makers make money. In fact it is just the opposite -- Indian film-makers lose money for every pirated movie cassette sold. Again .... why is religion an issue if you want to treat an artist (or anyone for that matter) as a hero ?

Comment

Bombaykid,

Whether Indian film producers make money or lose money is not really a major issue here.

you say:

why is religion an issue if you want to treat an artist (or anyone for that matter) as a hero ?
                Who said it was so much of an issue? If it was, nobody would watch Indian movies at all in Pakistan. Although it is interesting that in Azad Kashmir everybody refuses to watch them.

I think it is high time 'secular' India started producing movies where religion wasn't an issue, i.e. heroine called Gita and hero called Salman...to reflect the cultural acceptance that Indians keep telling us about.

Comment

Mr. Xtreme,
                  How many Hollywood movies do you see which show an inter-racial couple. Not many. Why ? I don't know -- maybe there are not too many inter-racial couples in real life (although, things are changing). In the same way, the Hindi film industry makes a few films (maybe 1 in a 1000) in between showing couples belonging to two different religions.
                  Times are changing in India too --- there are more inter-religious marriages now than ever before (sorry...don't have the statistics to prove that) and the good thing is people don't have discussions on who should convert to which religion after marriage. They both practice their own religion even after marriage, which is the way it should be ! Believe me, whenever there has been an inter-religious romance shown in films, Indian Muslim organisations have been up in arms against the film makers....so why should anyone take the risk -- spend so much money and effort into making the film and then get it banned or have some scenes deleted, just because some fanatic doesn't like it. I don't understand, in these matters why do you blame members of one community for fanaticism ? Tali ek haath se nahi bajti !
                  I know we've been way off topic here, but I thought you've raised some important and valid points.
                  By the way, have you watched the movie "Zakhm". It deals with Hindu-Muslim relations without being politically correct ! I thought it was pretty good !

Comment

Bombaykid,

I have made this point before so I don't want to labour on it but India has produced a few films recently with hindu guy/muslim girl but none that I am aware of with muslim guy/hindu girl. If film makers are prepared to incur wrath of mullahs with 1st scenario then why not the 2nd?

It would go a long way to prove India's credentials as a secular nation if they could bring themselves to do so. I doubt the Thackerays of this world would be happy though as he was complaining that the two lesbians in the film 'Fire' should have been portrayed as muslims. It had nothing to do with muslims though so I don't know why he was getting so agitated. Film maker was either sikh or hindu.

And no I haven't seen zakhm. I don't really watch Indian movies (or Pak ones for that matter).

Comment

Working...
                    X