Should Pakistan sign CTBT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should Pakistan sign CTBT?

With the current debate going on as to whether Pakistan should sign CTBT or not, what is the view of the people on this board?
    Should we or shouldn't we? What impact will it have on our defense capabilities and should we build in safeguards vis a vis India, in case they don't sign.

Ehsan,
    First I would like to know, where in this world are u located. If u are not in Pakistan, do u have plans to move to Pakistan to live there for rest of your life?

Comment

Pak should not sign it, until every country in the world that is capable of making nuke now or in the near future signs it. Itís not about whether India signs it or not (I dont think that India should sign it either) itís about being able to respond to any military challenge by any country.

Besides even if Pak and /or India did sign it, I don't believe that either of them would respect it, both countries will not stop the nuke race until their problems are solved Ė so signing it now will be waste of ink.

Najim,
      One doesnít have to live in the country, whether its Pak or any other country to be interested in itís internal or external affairs.

[This message has been edited by sabah (edited January 20, 2000).]

Comment

as far as Pakistan & India are concerned, CTBT is a dead horse now! the geo-political situation has changed with the obvious tilt of american favours towards India. Before, US used to treat both coutries at pretty much same level hence there was pressure on both to sign the treaty, but now Pak is no more a US darling, instead a now alliance is emerging b/w US & India; a never seen before thing! US would give some lucrative cocessions to India to lure it towards CTBT, this has already been started with the removal of ban from some 300+ Indian entities - no such package for Pakistan yet!
        Hence for amerika now, whether Pak signs it or not, doesn't matter.

Comment

Najim, could you please explain what relevance my location has with this thread. I fail to see the connection.

Comment

What are the reasons for signing it? And are they the right ones?

Comment

Instead of signing CTBT, Pakistan should simply destroy all nuclear weapons, and pledge never to develop new ones. The cost of keeping these weapons is the results seen on our streets Ė hunger, poverty, illiteracy, terrorism, etc.

India will never nuke Pakistan. India will loose everything that it has by using nukes on Pakistan, for that matter, any country that might use nukes will see the wrath of the good old America.

Comment

Originally posted by NYAhmadi:
                Instead of signing CTBT, Pakistan should simply destroy all nuclear weapons, and pledge never to develop new ones. The cost of keeping these weapons is the results seen on our streets Ė hunger, poverty, illiteracy, terrorism, etc.

India will never nuke Pakistan. India will loose everything that it has by using nukes on Pakistan, for that matter, any country that might use nukes will see the wrath of the good old America.
                couldn't agree more. India's nukes are intended to challenge the US and other nuclear-haves. Striking Pakistan with a nuke is unthinkable even if it was somehow an option.

Comment

I don't think that Pak should sign CTBT because the present atomic stockpile will one day become old and hence ineffective. So we always will need fresh tests. Thats also one of the major reason that US congress has rejected the idea of signing CTBT.

Fata Morgana

Comment

Ehsaan & Sabah,

The reason I asked it because if u guys are not living in Pakistan, its unlikely that you will ever go and live there in near future for the rest of your life. So CTBT should be left for the people who live there, or, are willing to live there in near future because its gonna effect their life not ours.

As far as CTBT is concerned .... first of all USA/Russia/UK/France and China has to sign it then ask someone else to sign. So Pakistan must not sign unless these countries sign before Pakistan.

Comment

There is signing and then there is ratification. Isn't it funny how the US congress didn't ratify it --yet they expect Pakistan to?!

My view is not now, and not in the foreseeable future (until like Sabah says each country ratifies it).

My dear NYA, living in his dream-world, things the dear old hindus are lovable things at heart--they will never attack Pakistan with nukes; has he forgotten the comments one L K Advani made after the Pokhran tests?! To dsetroy our bombs would be SUICIDE! It would remove the only threat and leverage we have over India. Besides, as the May 11 episode and after showed, yeh log (BJP) sirf aik hi zabaan samajhte hain. Besides, would the US give up their bombs? Would India? China? Israel, anyone else? In an ideal world there would be NO nukes--but it's not an ideal world.

As for India-US relations--well the US has always betrayed us in the past, so this is nothing new. Pakistan should cut the strings with US for good and seek closer cooperation with the Muslim World (S.Arabia, Iran especially) and France and Germany as well as deeper ties with China.

So, say NO to CTBT!

In fact I think that Pakistan should have a joint defence pact with S. Arabia, UAE and Iran so that any attack on one country is consdiered an attack on one of the others...and with full technology transfers...as well as economic aid, trade, commerce etc. Let's build a strong Islamic Bloc.

BTW NYA, how will India "lose everything" it has by nuking Pakistan (if we give up our bombs as you say)?? A slap on the wrist and a verbal condemnation at the UN? No thanks! (I can't BELIEVE a Pakistani is saying give up our bombs as the Indians will never nuke us anyway!! Then again, Dr. Abdus Salaam was removed as head of Pakistan's nuclear program by Z A Bhutto precisey becoz of such crazy ideas---both are Mirzais....)

[This message has been edited by Asif (edited January 20, 2000).]

Comment

I dont think that Pakistan should not sign CTBT under any circumstances now.
                        As far as NYAhmeds post is concerned, I think that it is the opposite of what you said. If India can kill thousands of muslims in Kashmir, destroy mosques etc, it can also Nuke Pakistan. On the other hand Pakistan will not Nuke India not only because there are millions of muslims living there but also because there are much more human beings living there. Even though Pakistan keeps saying about Nuclear strikes but that is only to pressurize India.
                        We do not need nukes for India. India is nothing. It is a country that needed eight battalions to fight 200 militants in Kargil; It is a country that had a hjacked plane in their country for more than 40 minutes but could not do nothing; It is a country that has so many problems that in case of a war it will have to decide whether to fight Kashmiris, Sikhs, Assam rebels, Christians etc as the list goes on or Paksitan. I think that in case of a war India might have to Nuke some parts of its own country and then claim victory as it did in Kargil.
                        So Pakistan should not sign CTBT because India is not signing i but because Pakistan might need to carry out some tests to make the nuclear capability equal to countries like Russia and ISrael and US as these are the main players against Muslims right now. As far as India is concerned it has almost lost all wars. Its life is no more than five years.
                        Pakistan Zindabad

Comment

Originally posted by proudpakistani:
                          If India can kill thousands of muslims in Kashmir, destroy mosques etc, it can also Nuke Pakistan.
                          Why do you think India is killing thousands of muslims in Kashmir? Because they hate muslims? If so, then why are the larger number of Indian muslims silent over this supposed massacre? And why is Pakistan the only country trying to highlight this massacre? Why are Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Iran, Iraq and a host of other countries silent?

Comment

Asif writes, among other nonsense:

ď>>>, Dr. Abdus Salaam was removed as head of Pakistan's nuclear program by Z A Bhutto precisey becoz of such crazy ideas---both are Mirzais....) <<<Ē

He forgot to tell everyone who the current chief scientist is, and how the idiot actually stole the information from Dutch Nuclear Labs where he worked. Making all Pakistani proud of his ability to steel, as it is very popular among some circles. This Sunni idiot has no brains of his own, whereas Dr. Abdus Salam is a Nobel Laureate (the only Pakistani ever to receive one). Asif has no clue who the other main scientists in the Pakistani program are. He will be ****ting in his pants if he were told that most of them are Mirzais (now in the process of being kicked out of the Ahmadia sect of Islam, simply because they could use their knowledge to help the needy and the poor instead of making weapons of mass destruction). It is still you call, you want nukes, go ahead, but you know the3 price we have paid and will continue to pay. Just keep that in mind should Pakistan (or India) ever try to fire one on each other, USA will punish both appropriately, and proportionately. You see the sanctions were a good punishment, you donít wana give a $500 punishment for a 5 buck crime. India and Pakistan are not ready for $500 punishment. At least not yet.

Comment

Agni,
                              Do you know that Maulana Azhar Masood, who is the leading figure in Jihad againts India is more famous in India than in Pakistan.
                              I dont know where you come from but i have a lot of Inidan friends. All of them come to Pakistan Day parade. Infact they were also telling me that whenever there is a Pakistani Indian cricket game they all support Pakistan. Infact there are always problems is Muslim dominated India whenever there is something going on between Pakistan and India.
                              The reason why they are silent till now is because they are not ready yet. THey know that fighting would mean scrifice your family, in the same way Indian soldiers are kiling in Kashmir.
                              As far as NYahmed is concerned....dont say anything bad about Dr. Abdul Qadeer.
                              He is a person who left all the wealth and luxury for his country. Dr. Abdussalam lived most of his life and then died in the west. And the reason why he won a noble prize was that all his life he thought only about winning a noble prize and never about country. He was taleted and learned but he was more into making money. Dr. Abdul Qadeer made a nuclear bomb in Pakistan out of nothing.
                              As far as noble prize is concerned it was famous at one time that anyone who runs away from Germany or Russia and write a book aginst them wins a noble prize for peace or someother category. you can see this just by looking that Abdus Sattar Eidhi owns the worlds largest volanteer organization, as stated by guinness book of worlld reacords. THe book also states that he didnot take a day off in the last forty five years. HE has more than five hundren ambulances. Believe it or not the noble prize went to Mother Therisa just because she was doing something in the interest of Westerners and also was working in a non muslim country. Just think that if Abdus salaam got a noble prize, he might have be wroking for west too by making sure that paksitan does not make a bomb.
                              think about it I dont know

------------------
                              unity, faith, discipline
                              Pakistan Zindabad

Comment

Working...
                              X