Its all Mine...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its all Mine...

If I try to define myself, I have to start 50000 or so years back when my genes started cooking in this subcontinent. This was the place that developed me into the black haired, brown eyed, brown skinned specimen , that I now am.
    It was my ancestors that developed Moenjo daro and harrapa, I am sure I carry part of them within me , in my thinking and in my chromosomes....
    The food that I like has been perfected in all of subcontinent over thousands of years, with all the ingredients that are products of this land.
    My music was born here , again thousands of years back,written and played to me by Tagore, Ravi,Hemaant kumar Mehdi hassan Latta , and so many more...
    There is no literature that relates to me, more then Krishan chanddar , Nazrul Islam, Ghalib and Faiz...all in their own ways...
    Khajuraho is as much a representation of my fantasy as is Lal Qilla or badshahi mosque..
    In myself I carry parts of everything that happened in this place we call subcontinent, over all its history.
    I cant define myself without all of these..Its all Mine.

Oye Nova de bachay....define yourself...what you just defined is me!

CM

Comment

Its interesting that no one has any comments on this...Maybe we like fighting better....Maybe our anger has claimed the best of us...
      I will urge ppl to say something if they visit this thread...
      CM,
      Assein thuanooN kadee wakhrraa manyya ee naiN...

[This message has been edited by Nova (edited January 12, 2000).]

Comment

Nova,psychology is your field not mine but my obervation is that People usually avoid dealing with questions that does not fit their political motivations. Pondering on sunject as such might shake plenty of souls.....its easy to ignore you and keep going with one's agenda.

CM

teri meri ikk zingRi, tainu dard hovey main rovaN

Comment

Hmmm…I was kinda boycotting this thread, cuz its not all yours, I have a hissa too.

Well we do share a lot, or may be too much, also that ego thingy na. And it is easier to say I hate you, then of I love you. I don’t think that we should or can love each other, however we can and should respect or at least listen to each other. Often one person single-handed can change the atmosphere to the negative – that happens a lot here and in real life too.

However even if we don’t agree I’m glad that we are talking and no mater how much we try to ignore each other we still hear what the other have to say, so may be some day we’ll start understanding each others points too.

Ps. You can have Krishan Chander for your self but Faiz is not all yours!

Comment

..err..shouldn't this be in the Culture forum???? (ps good topic)

Comment

Hmmm....yep But it’s also politics, if you look at the mgs…emmm the way I see it

Comment

Why was i avoiding this thread? coz it gives me an inferiority complex -

1.Nova's post is almost poetry. poets scare me, i've been trained to be technical writer, creative writing is my idea of punishing labor.

2.i've never read much of the literary works produced by our subcontinent.. all i can boast of is a couple of short stories by munshi prem chand, kabir's couplets, khushwant singh's novels... pathetic!

3.i like to think i'm richer than you guys when it comes to genetic diversity, coz i've got dravidian connections as well, something noone else here might have. but again, i'm afraid my knowledge of south indian society might be inferior to NYAhmedis, so i cant claim much credit for my southie roots.

in spite of all shortcomings on my part, i suppose i do have a deep attachment to my land and culture... but it is pretty likely that i dont feel it as strong and stirring as many of you guys would, coz i've lived all 20 years of my life in my own country, i've never missed it for one second of my life. So it is all mine, without any feeling of being challenged by a rival culture.
                Simple ain't easy.

Comment

Working...
                X