Teachers.....Pakistani experience!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teachers.....Pakistani experience!

I dont know about u guys but myself having educated in Pakistan, in a Peela schoool, had a pretty disappointing experience. Most if not all had no committment towards development of the students. It was left to the kids to find their own way. I would like to see much more efforts from teachers to develop students.

Perhaps because there arent many options available for educated people in Pakistan other than doctors and engineers. That prompts teachers to teach students with the sole purpose of enabling them to score high marks in their Intermediate exams so they can get into a professional school.
    Whats a peela school?

[This message has been edited by Akif (edited December 18, 1999).]

Comment

STUDENTS ARE USE TO BRING TEA AND SAMOSAA'S ALLL DAY LONG...ANYONE WHO HAVE TO PASS THE CLASS MUST TAKE PRIVATE TUTIONS AT TEACHERS HOUSE OTHER WISE HE CANT AND WONT PASS THE CLASS...BULL**** ISNT IT...THEY DONT TEACH NOTHING AND WHEN THEY ASK QUESTIONS AND YOU DONT THEY MAKE YOU MURGAA'S AND HIT YOU ON UR BUTTOCKS WITH TAPED STICKS WHICH ARE EXTREAMLY PAINFULL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

JAAWAN

------------------
      Till next time***K_I_S_S***©

[This message has been edited by Jaawan (edited December 18, 1999).]

Comment

Its a sad situation in our country. Teachers are the most important person who can influence a child. Probably more than the parents. There isnt any seriousness about them. They dont care about their huge responsibilities. All they care about is how many students they can get for private tuitions and there is a competition among the teachers for this. And boy..the students who are privately tutored gets the best marks. No marks for guessing!

If one thing in Pakistan needs to be corrected is the teaching profession. It will be a miracle but we must pray for it. I know most of the guys on the forum are from UK or North America...and may not care about this much..but we should be able to do something to stand up to it and send a message to the government to at least try to correct the situation.

Comment

Students getting high grades after private tuitions from their teachers tells you that the teachers are competent, and they know their stuff, and they also know how to teach. The driving factor here is money of course. Teachers hold private tuitions for the money, and they need money because as teachers, they are paid next to nothing from the school or government. I dont know if what can be done to fix this, but to start with, they need to set a minimun standard for teachers, where all have to have a certain minimum qualification. Even though such limits might be in effect on paper, they are rarely enforced, and schools commonly employ Intermediate pass and fresh graduates to teach students subjects that they havent even specialized in. After setting and enforcing such strict guidelines for employment as teachers, the government should set a minimum pay for teachers which would be an incentive for prospective teachers.

Comment

There is no lack of good teachers in Pakistan; it is the system that needs fixing. It is true that many resort to private tutoring to make a decent living, but not all teachers in Pakistan do that. Students, as well as their guardians are to be blamed for this too. In ordinary households, the emphasis is on Grades and not on learning. In addition, many useless subjects are taught both at lower as well as higher education levels. Islamyiat is mandatory even at the professional degree level, even if someone is studying to be a Chemist. It is not just teachers, but the entire learning environment that needs overhauling. Making mixed sex public schools will be a good start. Reducing class size and encouraging self-learning will come eventually. Education is not just learning ABCs but learning to relate to a wider environment. The emphasis in Pakistan has been on “forced” learning (a colonial hangover even though, the English have revised their educational system every few years) rather than “paced” learning and what a student may want to learn. Again, Pakistani Teachers are only a minor (though significantly commanding) part of the learning premise. Change the system, and you will have better teachers. My colleagues often make an observation that Pakistan can produce Noble caliber Theoretical Physicist, but have not been able to churn out a practical cadre of scientists, engineers, and teachers. True, that there are many notable Pakistanis who have made names in various fields, but they are very few and far in between, considering the size of the nation.

Comment

NY Ahmedi....

I agree with you that the responsibility lies on the parents as well who are also engaged in competition thing without putting emphasis on learning. I remember an aritcle heading in Dawn.."education sans learning" which truly describe our education system.

System and qualification exist for would be teachers but like all other sections of the society these have been misused through factors of bribery, coercion, nepotism etc.

To start with the qualifications of a teacher should be strictly monitored with some system of check by an independent body, the salaries should be increased substantially and teachers should be forbidden to teach students of the same school privately, which should be punishable.

Comment

This is a very interesting topic as it is my personal belief and that of many others that lack of education in Pakistan is the cause of majority of her problems.

I would love to see a program developed where Pakistani professionals from the States (there are numerous in many different fields) get a chance to go teach at various schools in Pakistan for a year or two. I think such a program would do wonders for both the students being effected by it and for the teacher who gets a chance to experience this. The teachers should be provided housing and they cannot go into it expecting any huge financial returns.

Ah, I think I have just come up with an excellent idea if only we had a task force to implement it, some type of responsible (and HONEST) organization.

Comment

Well.. I do not know much of Pakistani system. But problems seem similar to our Indian system (system, well.. for lack of better word) of education.

The point is that kids dont understand and end up hating the subjects.

One outer remedy could be, if it is all done to get grades, reduce the importance of grades. Have entrance examination for different courses you want to appear. Let those entrance exams be finely tuned to the needs of the course. Keep changing structure of these exams frequently enough that no clear 'sure fire pattern' comes up and only guys with thourough understanding get in. Of course, we asians are good at making a mockery of any system. Look at the wonderful grades people obtain in GRE and AGRE by attending particular classes. But GRE is a bad example. Better example will be IIT entrance in India. It is still possible to pass them by coaching in right schools. But to get better grades, u really need to understand the topic.

It is a pity. Only subject which kids somewhat enjoy is drawing. That is because, by very nature, they like to draw and paint. In sciences, lack of experiments (many innovative experiments are there which do not need much money) and lack of enthusiasm kills it. Teaching English, they either tell you grammer or start teaching Shakespere. There is no way in which u end up learning sinmple skills like talking to a man in the street, unless u learn in english medium school. Teachers have often a complete contempt of questions and students asking questions are considered hostile. The whole system is in deep s**t

Comment

Nice topic, and some great suggestions

>> Ah, I think I have just come up with an excellent idea if only we had a task force to implement it, some type of responsible (and HONEST) organization
                    We may have a chance to make things happen now. Gen. Musharaf is interested in new ideas in every field, and there is an email ads. so if we can make a list of suggestions maybe we can mail it to him.

Oh and can someone plz. explain the quota(sp?) system.

Comment

Sabah:

The quota system is a system by which certain classes of society (e.g. areas, provinces, special people etc) have certain number of seats alloted/fixed in educational institutions. This has its own advantages in the sense that students from less developed areas have a chance to study in well known colleges with their city colleagues. But less said of this system when it is being misused.

Anyways. Yes I dont know how the forum will work to send some sort of a joint statement or a list of measures to improve the standards of the teaching profession to the government. Any ideas?

Comment

Piyar_Ka_Rakhwala, Thanks for the info

About your query, let me talk to the Admin and the other Mods maybe we can come up with some ideas. In the mean time plz continue with this topic, and let’s try to make a list of suggestions

Saba

Comment

Working...
                        X