Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Pakistan make "English" compulsory like India.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should Pakistan make "English" compulsory like India.

In a move to strengthen primary education in the state, the Democratic Front government in Maharashtra state today decided to introduce English as a compulsory subject in all Marathi medium schools from Standard I, create separate directorate for primary education, appoint 18,000 teachers on contract and hold examination for primary classes-- reversing the decision of the Sena-BJP government which had scrapped the exams.

Talking to The Indian Express, School Education Minister Ramkrishna More, who is the architect behind the move, clarified that there will be no change in the existing education policy and stressed that the steps should not be seen as an attempt to show any kind of disrespect to Marathi.

The Minister made it clear that under the existing policy, it is binding on the state government to impart education in the mothertongue and accordingly, from standard one to four, basic education will still be imparted in Marathi.

``The cabinet discussed my proposals at length and in largerinterest of the students and also in view of the increasing competition, it was decided to introduce English language at the primary level itself,'' More added.

Ever since his induction in the cabinet, More, a teacher by profession, has been emphasising the need for changes in the education system so that the students from Maharashtra, particularly the Marathi speaking ones, do not lag behind in competition.

The new system would come into force from the academic session beginning June 2000 and specific instructions would be given to all the educational institutions to implement the decision in letter and spirit, More said, and pointed out that in the past, successive state government never made any effort to introduce English at the primary level.

Stating that earlier, students in Marathi medium schools studied English from standard five, More said the department felt that because of this, children specially from the lower strata of the society were left out in the fierce competition. Being acquaintedwith English from an early age, would help children in facing fierce competition.

On the necessity of additional teachers for the purpose, the minister said since the existing teachers are well-equipped, there is no need to recruit additional teachers. However, in view of the overall shortage of teachers, the government has decided to appoint 18,000 teachers on contract basis on a consolidated salary of Rs 2,500 per month. Their performance will be reviewed after five years to decide whether they should be absorbed in the service or otherwise, he added.

More said the Democratic Front government has also decided to create a separate directorate for primary education. ``Since I am from teaching profession, I feel that more attention should be given to primary education. Therefore we have decided to create separate directorate for the purpose,'' he said.

Secondly, More said now construction of a separate toilet for girl students has been made mandatory. ``In rural parts, it was found that the girl studentsdid not have separate toilets. I have asked the department to cut the grants of the erring schools,'' he said.

On examinations for primary standards, More said during the Sena-BJP rule, there were no examinations for the students of standard one to four. ``We have reversed the decision. Now, there will be two tests for the students of standard one and two, while for the students of third and fourth standard, there will be two tests and annual examination. If the examinations are abandoned, then there will be no accountability,'' More said.

I think..... instead of teaching a dying language like English, Urdu, Hindi and many other languages....by dying I mean which get infested by other language words....It is much better that Arabic should be made a cumpolsory language first of all the Holy Qu'Ran was revealled in this language and secondly it can not get infestested with other language words...most importantly understanding The Holy Quran will be much more easy.....

*****just my thoughts******

------------------
    A Person too BE!

Comment

I agree. English should be slowly phased
      out of Pakistan in the next 5-10 years. Urdu should be made compulsory along with Arabic. Even Persian could be taught in Pakistani schools. Koranic studies, Islamic history should be made compulsory.

Islamic banking, Islamic law (Sharia) should also be introduced at higher level.

If our next generation speaks Arabic we could be close to our Arab brothers. More jobs in Middle East and be close to Ummah.

Comment

Guys!!! I am a communication major. Let me share some of my knowledge of global linguistics with you.

One thing that has been observed in the modern world is that most of the languages are dying. Chinese had over 200 dialects in the year 1900 and today only 114 remain. By the year 2020, there would be only 80. This is not something happening only to chinese but it is happening almost everywhere. Languages are disappearing because some languages are 'eating' other languages.
        English is one language that is swallowing almost every other language. Statistically, the number of people speaking english has gone up at a very fast rate in the last 100 yrs.

Further research into this phenomenon (of languages being eaten by other languages) reveals that one language will swallow other languages if it fulfills the following 3 requirements.

1. Volume of Literature: The languages that produce more literature will eventually swallow other languages. For example, if all the books written in english were collected on one side and all the books in urdu were collected on one side and all the books in punjabi were collected, then you will find that english has more literature than urdu and Urdu has more literatue than punjabi. This trend shows that some time in the future, english will swallow urdu and punjabi unless in the coming years urdu and punjabi produce literature that is equal to english literature in sheer volume.

2. Scientific Research: The scienttific research done in english is more than that done in urdu or punjabi of any other language which shows that some time in the future urdu and punjabi and other languages will be eaten by english unless they do future research in their own language that is equal to if not more than all the research that is done in english.

Electronic Media: This is the most influential factor. Research shows that those languages in which most of the electronic media is produced (e.g tv programs, films etc) will swallow those languages that do not produce electronic media. The number of TV programs and films produced in english are more than any other language. In order for other languages to survive, they must produce tv programs and films that can not only compete with english programs in sheer volume, but also in quality.

These are the three mechanisms by which certain languages prevail over others. In order for languages to survive, they must compete with other languages in these 3 fields (i.e literature, science and media) with media being the most important of the three.

It is nice to know you guys wanna get rid of english, but what u must realize is that the only ways to compete with english to defeat english in these three areas. That would take at least another 100 years if you start working on the above three fields NOW.

Comment

Great post, rev-X!
          Simple ain't easy.

Comment

There is nothing wrong in teaching English. It is the language used by most businesses and technologies. Arabic should also be taught as it is Quranic language. Why not both?

Comment

In the next 20 to 30 years USA will have more URDU speaking and understanding people and more hindi speaking and understanding people than english or spanish..so english WILL phade out...just wait and pray that u live to see that day...english is a bad bad ass language with NO RESPECT at all!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jaawan

------------------
              Till next time***K_I_S_S***

Comment

Jawan:
                I agree with you English Is one of the most worst language with no words of respect for others!!!!

------------------
                TO WHAT HEIGHTS CAN I NOT RISE

Comment

Jawaan and Hallian : Why are you guys conversating/posting in English ?
                  Read some peotry, appreciate some art and you will see that english is not that bad.

Just a thought
                  Zman

Comment

English is a collonial language, hated in areas that were former European Collonies. Understood! The fact is that most of the development in literature, scientific research and media has been done in tha collonial language unfortunately. When you say that there will be more urdu and hindi speaking people in usa in the next 20 or 30 yrs, I would like to remind you that it doesnt matter. Unless those urdu and hindi speaking people produce literature, scientific research and electrnic media in quantity and quality that can compete with English, their languages will become extinct some time in the future. It doesnt matter how many people speak a particular language, but what matters is what they DO in that language.

People have a tendency to say things that they wanna believe. "More urdu speaking people in USA in the next 20 or 30 years????" That is a fairy tale. US statistics show that south asian immigrants lose their language after three generations. Meaning that if you migrate to USA now, chances are that your grandchildren will not know your language. You dont need stats to show you that Spanish has grown at a faster rate in USA then Urdu. Latin America is just under their nore. The rate at which spanish/latin speaking illegal immigrants flood into usa from south america The language that survives the most is faster than the rate at which urdu speaking immigrants get into USA. I dont know where you are gtting your figures from? Arab speaking immigrants tend to retain their language for the longest period of time.

The bottom line is that if you wanna take over from english, then in the next century, you have to produce very influential literature, scientific research and media in your language. There are close to 56 muslim nations in this world. Out of those 56, 52 were european collonies. The only 4 muslim nations that were never collonised during europes expansion are Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Afghanistan and Turkey. Other than these 4 almost every country has the same problem that we have. Getting rid of the collonial language. It is not possible for any of these nations to individualy produce literature/ sci research and media that can compete with english. However, if all of them join together and work in arabic then in the next 150 yrs or so, arabic will have sufficient literature, research and media that elimination of english from these nations will not have any effect on the information systems in these countries. That is what we should be aiaming for.

Comment

English is a collonial language, hated in areas that were former European Collonies. Understood! The fact is that most of the development in literature, scientific research and media has been done in tha collonial language unfortunately. When you say that there will be more urdu and hindi speaking people in usa in the next 20 or 30 yrs, I would like to remind you that it doesnt matter. Unless those urdu and hindi speaking people produce literature, scientific research and electrnic media in quantity and quality that can compete with English, their languages will become extinct some time in the future. It doesnt matter how many people speak a particular language, but what matters is what they DO in that language.

People have a tendency to say things that they wanna believe. "More urdu speaking people in USA in the next 20 or 30 years????" That is a fairy tale. US statistics show that south asian immigrants lose their language after three generations. Meaning that if you migrate to USA now, chances are that your grandchildren will not know your language. You dont need stats to show you that Spanish has grown at a faster rate in USA then Urdu. Latin America is just under their nose. The rate at which spanish/latin speaking illegal immigrants flood into usa from south america is a lot higher than the immigration rate of South Asians. I dont know where you are gtting your figures from. Arab speaking immigrants tend to retain their language for the longest period of time.

There are close to 56 muslim nations in this world. Out of those 56, 52 were european collonies. The only 4 muslim nations that were never collonised during europes expansion are Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Afghanistan and Turkey. Other than these 4 almost every muslim country has the same problem that we have. Getting rid of the collonial language. It is not possible for any of these nations to individualy produce literature/ sci research and media that can compete with english. However, if all of them join together and work in Arabic then in the next 150 yrs or so, arabic will have sufficient literature, research and media that elimination of english from these nations will not have any effect on the information systems in these countries. That is what we should be aiaming for.

Comment

I hate the fact that English has a colonial undertone but the fact is that it is the language of business and science. That is a fact and I think it should be compulsory in Pakistan so that all Pakistani children have equal access to it. It will help to eradicate the elitism that accompanies the mastery of English in our country.

Comment

As for as respect is concerneddddddd english is worst of all... every language makes it self look good in poeterry!!!

Jaawan

------------------
                          Till next time***K_I_S_S***

Comment

If you wanna beat a guy, you should learn his language, culture, histroy etc.

Fata Morgana

Comment

There is a lot of evil embedded in English. Thinknig in English develops a mindset that sees native cultures inferior to the collonial culture. In order to decollonize the muslim mind, the supremacy of english language would have to be challanged. That is the reason why I emphasize that muslims all over the world should study and contribute to literature science and media in Arabic. Regional or national languages cant hold their own against english but if all the 56 muslim nations gradually develop arabic, then in in the year 2100, Arabic has the potential to present a great international threat to English. That is something we should be aiming for.

Comment

Working...
                              X