Who should receive the death penalty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who should receive the death penalty?

Under the constitution of almost every country in the world teh penalty for the leaders of coup-de-tat is 'DEATH'. Isn't the evidence of the crime of General Musharaf more solid than Nawaz Sheriff & Co. (let me make one thing clear, I am not a supporter of Nawaz or Benazir, but am sick of these generals backstabbing political leadership every 9/10 years under the excuses of corruption etc. But when they go out of office the country is worst off than it was befre their arrival.

Recently there was a report about the assets of teh family of 'Mujahid-e-Islam' late General Akhtar Abdur Rehman. They own nearly 20 factories and owe banks billions of rupees. How much you think a general gets in salary? How long would take a general to save enough to set up just one textile mill (a medium size normally costs over Rs 250 million).

Let's not be carried away with nice slogans.

[This message has been edited by Mahmood (edited December 05, 1999).]

Hmmmmmmm naawaz sharif tired to kill the current general. Dont you know the story. what if he was killed what would you have said than? Its useless to talk about pakistan WE WONT LEARN FROM OUR MISTAKES, history is and has been repeatedly repeating its self but we are fast asleep. WE are laatoon ke booth, NOT baatoon ke...get it?

Jaawan

------------------
    Till next time***K_I_S_S***

Comment

Mahmood,

According to the constitution, it is the General who should be convicted for the treason of over throwing the elected government. It is yet to prove that Nawaz Sharif wanted to kill Musharaf. In absence of any proof, these allegations are the only basis for overthrowing the government. Even if they are considered as true, who stopped General to approach the justice system of the country instead of taking extreme action violating the constitution of the country. If he had no confidence in the judiciary during Nawaz's presence, than how come he is now relying on the same judiciary system for the trial against Nawaz? It is a proof itself that judiciary in Pakistan is always PARTIAL in making the key decisions and destroyed the very fabric of justice system of the country during military regimes.

Sincerely,
      FARID M

Comment

Farid, the main problem is the weakness of our institutions, political, judiciary etc. Recent amendment to the Anti-Terrarism Courts Act is another example that how everyone is using the system for their own interests. The Anti-Terrarism court, which was hearing Nawaz Sheriff's case did not had jurisdiction for those alledged offences (included in the FIR). The amendment included all those in the Act. Amendment also allowed the Chef Justice of the High Court to appoint a High Court Judge to hear this case. It's open secreat that the majority of Sindh High Court judges was against Nawaz Sheriff.

I would have no objection if a fair trial is conducted and if found guilty, Nawaz Sheriff is hanged. But not playing foul.

In my opinion, Nawaz Sheriff actions during his government only further weakened our institutions. He was in an ideal position to strengthen these but lost the opportunity.

[This message has been edited by Mahmood (edited December 05, 1999).]

Comment

Mahmood,

Nawaz was himself a by-product of Zia's government. I never considered him to be a real politician. He came to power two times with the blessing of same Army which is now trying him for treason. Officially, since he was elected Prime Minister, hence he should have been completed his tenure. Believe me the people of Pakistan who are sick and tired of the crookedness of politicians would have thrown him out of power in the next election. As usual the cleansing process was never completed and it is always the army who jump on band wagon and make these sons of *****es a real heroes or heroine (She is relaxing in NA) Who knows, in the second election he may again emerge as Sher-e-Punjab. This is the sad story of Pakistan.

FARID M

Comment

Farid, tha's the point. It's sad that the Generals' lust for power is not allowing democratic institutions strengthen. Until and that 'cycle' does not complete few times nothing will change.

Our previous militray rulers at least took few years before they were exposed. But Gen Musharaf has even started on very shaky grounds.

Justification, he is giving for overthrowing the elected government is not very convincing, he made lot of fuss about recovery of loans or etc etc, only Rs 6 billion was recovered and just 30 defaulters arrested (none of them are the politicians) you will see in just few days this whole issue will die down and nothing will happen. He wanted to harras politicians nothing else.

Let us see what our judiciary does this time. They never proved themselves capable of taking any stand.

Comment

Working...
            X