Historic shrine torched in Multan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Historic shrine torched in Multan

MULTAN, Nov 23: Vandals caused major damage to a 500-year-old Muslim shrine in Multan on today. Police said four people entered the shrine of the Muslim saint, Shah Shams Sabzwari, and set its gates on fire before fleeing. Police blamed the attack on terrorists. The historic shrine, popular among the minority Shiite Muslim community, was badly damaged, they said.

Its custodian, Nawaz Jatt, said the saint's grave was intact but several other rooms in the complex were gutted. The fire also destroyed a specially engraved wooden gate donated by Sabzwari's followers some 450 years ago. "The attack was mounted by terrorists in an apparent attempt to trigger sectarian unrest in the country," a police official said. Residents said the incident had sparked tension in the area.

Sectarian violence blamed by the authorities on radical groups has left around 300 people dead in the past three years. Around 50 people from the minority Shiite and the majority Sunni Muslim sects were killed in a wave of sectarian unrest early last month. The violence had, however, subsided after the October 12 military coup.

This is a shame! I was born in that city, and I feel so angry for what has happened. Not only Shah Shamas Tabriz, but Multan is also home to Shah Ruken-e-Alam, and Baha-ud-Din Zakariah. Multan was such a peaceful city where everyone regardless of their faith lived in harmony. Reading about such acts of religious intolerance makes me so mad. I hope that the guilty are brought to justice, and events like this donít occur again. Religious fanatics are not just destroying the shrines and mausoleums, but also the very fiber of humanity, which these Saints were example of.

Comment

it was really sad that petty politics are brought in destroying shrines.
      one question for my friends extreme and kmalik. accoding to the arguments you put forward to show indian culture in bad light,
      do you agree that sunnis and shia should separate and form their own country since they cannot stay togeather. ayodhya was a isolated incident but this incidents are a regular feature in your country where more then 90% of the people are muslim. how come this could happen and you expect on the other hand that india which has embrace all religions on earth should not have any isolated incident of this making.
      i am proud to say that shia and sunnis of india dont fight at all. this shows how much understanding we indians have for each others beliefs.

Comment

What do u mean Indian shias and sunnis dont fight? The indian shias that go to my mosque in the USA always complain how Indian sunnis are treating them with intolerance. Shias/Sunnis conflicts have a long history and they dont stop anywhere.
        When shias go out on Ashura and do mattum(beating of the chest) in India, people who arrange the processions are...HINDUS!!! No not sunnis, but the so-called enemy of Islam, Hindus. They give water and food and other aid to the Shias during the procession. Not one Sunni is there to aid the Shias.

--
        The only enemies of Islam are, not the Christians, Jews, or Hindus, but intolerant Muslims.

Comment

I don't believe that Shias are my enemies. My enemies are kafirs who try to take the muslims away from the deen. That is the hindus and munafiqs of India who support the BJP and who support the oppression of the true muslims in Bharat. But you will already know that by now.

Comment

Indian Muslims:

What is the percentage of Sunni Muslims and Shia Muslims in India.

In Pakistan I suppose 60% are Sunni Muslims and 40% are Shia Muslims.

Did more Sunnis migrate from India to Pakistan or more Shias. Or they were equally represented. Are Sunnis and Shias spread all over India or some states have a Sunni dominated Muslims and some Shia dominated.

Comment

Mr Xterme:....My enemies are kafirs who try to take the muslims away from the deen.

How do the kaffirs take away muslims from their deen. Why do you live in a kafir land and enjoy all the religious freedom at the same time denying it to others in your pure land. I hope kafirs of the world would wake up reconganize the threat people like you present.

Comment

Just wondering what would have happened had a mosque been torched in India ---- I'm sure there would have been unprecedented riots all over the country.....international condemnation of Indians and their "pseudo-secular" ideals......torching of Hindus and their places of worship in Pakistan and Bangladesh.....and yes.....our so called "secular" newspapers would have proclaimed that Hindus need to be ashamed of themselves !!

Comment

Rani,

What makes you think I want to deny people their religious freedom in my not-so-pure land? Is it something I said?

And don't worry...your kafir allies have already recognised the threat that people like myself represent and are currently gunning down civilians in Chechnya, following successful efforts in Bosnia, Iraq, and Kosova. Madeline Albright has declared that the UN is powerless to restict Russian bombardment of villages in Chechnya because it is an internal matter. Sanctions will however be imposed on the starving people of Afghanistan.

Long live world peace.

Comment

Working...
                  X